IGNORED

Float levels

Squidley

I have not had good luck searching the 1st gen tech area on setting the carbs on my '86. I have done them, in the past, like the manual states. Frankly this is a PITA as you have to assemble and pull apart the carbs till the tube fill line is where it states it should be on the center. The G2's are WAY easier to set as there is a measurement where to set them.

My question is to any of the 1st genners, have any of you come up with a measurement that can be used to set the floats, like on a G2? If I can't get a response in a day or so I'll be doing it the manual way, but if there is an easier way to set these things....I'm all ears!

See 1st attached picture below for one way.

Other way is with carb inverted, the half moon cutout in the top (normal orientation) should be aligned with the round casting mark on the jet block. 2nd picture shows closeup of jet block. Round casting mark to left centered on middle tube.

Gary

63503.jpg

63504.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Here is what I do.

That line they have you measuring to on the float bowl is the level of the jet needle. The same point is in the center of the diaphragm cover, which you can locate by striking diagonal lines through the mounting screws.

Measure down from the center of the X and mark your spot. I think you'll find it's just about the same height as where the screw bosses blend into the round shape of the cover.

Now that I see Dingy's post it occurs to me I might not have answered the question you were asking.

Been awhile since I was in mine but as I recall the floats are a lot closer to level than in Dingy's 1st pic. You should check them wet after you set them.

What I showed were shamelessly stolen from VMax site.

I did use the 2nd way of lining up cutout in float with casting mark and it was fairly close, but not just where I wanted them. Ended up tweaking a little more.

Gary

See 1st attached picture below for one way.

Other way is with carb inverted, the half moon cutout in the top (normal orientation) should be aligned with the round casting mark on the jet block. 2nd picture shows closeup of jet block. Round casting mark to left centered on middle tube.

Gary

Gary,

That measurement that you have on the pic, of the carb on the right side. Is that measurement 1.117? That is what I am looking for as far as my question, a measurement that I can take with a set of calipers from a solid point. To keep me from having to guess where the initial set point is. Another thing Gary, the Vmax gasket kits are what I bought for these carbs, did you use the float needle that came with the kit and/or the seat?

Carl,

I apologize for not being clearer with my question, I know of the center point on the carb and the distance of 15.50mm to 16.50mm where the float is set from that mark heading towards the bottom, Thank you for the input also.

Gary,

That measurement that you have on the pic, of the carb on the right side. Is that measurement 1.117? That is what I am looking for as far as my question, a measurement that I can take with a set of calipers from a solid point. To keep me from having to guess where the initial set point is. Another thing Gary, the Vmax gasket kits are what I bought for these carbs, did you use the float needle that came with the kit and/or the seat?

Carl,

I apologize for not being clearer with my question, I know of the center point on the carb and the distance of 15.50mm to 16.50mm where the float is set from that mark heading towards the bottom, Thank you for the input also.

I did not use the float seat from the VMax rebuild kit. Left old one in. I did reverse blow out the filter screen that is in with the float seat. I did use the new float needle valve. I ended up cutting a little of the spring wire retainer on the needle valve to get them to engage right. 2nd pic, top needle valve is VMax, I cut very upper leg off to match lower Venture valve.

The number shown is 1.117", but as Carl said it looks to low.

I attached another pic, I think this one shows lining up with float cutout, but I am not positive. This one looks more realistic to me for an initial starting point.

Gary

Gary and Carl, what are your thoughts on this level?

Close.

Put the cover on and bench test just the one carb body. Gently clamp in vice & check that top is level.

Supply gas someway that looks safer than what I did, then check. Much easier than putting on bike then taking off.

I think I have to many friggin pictures, I know I took a picture of something, but were in the heck I put it is mind boggling. I must have a few thousand pictures of my bike.

Gary

I do have the complete bank apart and did perform a wet bench test. I tweaked it a bit from my pic I posted, to look more like the others. I hooked it back up to fuel and found the level to be at the 16.50mm mark. Back off again and tweaked it just a bit higher and it's setting right at the 15.50mm mark which I feel better with. The measurement I took after I achieved the 15.50mm mark was at 1.000 inches from the bowl base to the underside of the float with the digital calipers. I will do the rest of them with that 1" mark before I wet test them and see how that works out. I'll come back on and let y'all know how it plays out.

Gary and Carl, Thanks again for all your quick responses and help :thumbsup2:

Just in case anyone else is following this thread, I did 2 more of the carbs tonight and did the same 1" measurement from the bowl to the bottom of the float. It worked like a charm, they were exactly where the 1st one was at the 15.50mm mark. This will be the measurement I use from now on when I initially set the floats on any 1st gen I do now

:thumbsup2:

I'll take pics of the last carb with the calipers and the measuring point and post them on this thread before it's all done.

Here is what I do.

That line they have you measuring to on the float bowl is the level of the jet needle. The same point is in the center of the diaphragm cover, which you can locate by striking diagonal lines through the mounting screws.

Measure down from the center of the X and mark your spot. I think you'll find it's just about the same height as where the screw bosses blend into the round shape of the cover.

Do NOT uise the line on the float bowl. The Float bowls can move 1-1.5 mm due to the bolt holes and affect the accuracy.The manual says use the line MARK on the side of the top area @diaphragm cap. USE IT! Carbs should be level.With the carbs held in a vice between wood blocks. Using a small 4" level, if you can find one. And measure level in multiple directions. I gather the G2 carbs are also using the drain for accurate adjust with a clear hose. Now as floats age , they lose bouyancy. So a standard internal measurement will sometimes not be perfect. GLad if this non-manual way works for some. I got all new floats end of last year. This is a tedious process. I set mine closer to the 16mm spec. As the floats never gain bouyancy.

Edited by jasonm.

Be nice if it somehow ended up in the tech library too.

Once I do the last one, I will take pics of it, and we can get it in the 1st gen library. I have to say with how I have been measuring the floats, all 3 were almost dead on the 15.50mm mark. This will be a great starting point for folks trying to set the floats, Thanks again for all the input fellas

:thumbsup2:

IMAG0211 (Large).jpg

IMAG0212 (Large).jpg

IMAG0210 (Large).jpg

Edited by Squidley

I tested one complete using pump pressure then a static test in a bowl of water and the numbers came out the same... so...

If you have the carb in your hand, pop the fuel bowl cover off, hook a clean hose to the fuel inlet and get a large bowl of water... as you blow into the fuel line, slowly lower the carb into the water, when the air shuts off, lift the carb out. The water line on the carb body is your fuel height... you can make incremental changes to tune in the float.

Edited by mbrood

Sorry, .... Water does not have the same bouyancy as fuel. Also getting H2O into the carb is not sometihng I cannot recommend. Plus that "water idea"...the carb cannot be perfectly level is all respects while being held. You should always set these held in a vise as I have stated before. And setting these at 15.5mm is spec. But within a few years the height will rise. I always suggest 16.5mm below the "mark". It's only 1mm difference. But it's still years more from being out of spec. vs. 15.5...just my $.02