IGNORED

Not sure if this is the right forum for this...Hi.

Just want to introduce myself. My name is Jeff, and I'm a bike nut. Whoops, wrong forum...this isn't motorcycles anonymous. LOL

Anyway, last week I picked up a 1983 Venture for $200.00 (payable in shots of Southern Comfort at my local American Legion) The bike hasn't been treated well for the past 3 years. I bought the bike from the second owner, but I also know the original owner fairly well. The bike used to have very nice black cherry color paint (original), but now it's Harley orange, and not a quality repaint at that. That's changing soon, as I worked at Home Depot for several years and if I never see Orange paint again, it will be too soon. All the bodywork is currently in a pile as the second owner took it all off so he could get the motor out to repair the bottom case after bottoming out on a large rock that was in the middle of a dirt road. The case has been professionally repaired, but he could never get the bike started again, hence my purchase price of $200.00. With the advice given here, I have a TCI on the way from Dingy that should be here in a couple of days, so hopefully that will get the bike to fire on all 4.

I'm slowly figuring this bike out (it's the newest bike I own other than a 1997 Kawasaki KE100) and I'm sure that I'm going to have a lot more questions. Looking the bike over, I think that the mechanical issues are going to be few, but I can see some more electrical issues (other than the ignition) already. I have a new fuse block that I hope will cure a lot of the issues once I install it.

Thanks for the help in the few posts I've made since joining here last week.

Jeff

The bike only has about 10,000 miles on it and it ran like a champ before the motor case was repaired, so I doubt that there are any internal issues at this point.

As to whether it's a standard or Royale, I have no clue...how do I tell the difference? The bike has cruise control but no radio. All emblems/decals have been removed or painted over :(

Welcome aboard! We're not real fussy as to where you post, and you kinda asked a technical question so you are in the right forum! We are always glad to offer advice and share our technical expertise! For what you paid for it you could double and triple your money in parts alone.

The issue with the '83 was a weak point on the frame where the rear shock mounts. Be sure to check this thoroughly, and while you have the motor out, you may want to research this and do mthe modification to the frame while it's apart.

Many of us have spare parts so check here first if you need any. The Royale came with an audio unit consisting of AM/FM radio, cassette deck, and intercom on one side and the air suspension controller on the other side. There were also badges to say "Venture Royale" to boot.

Jeff,

There is a ton of information here on the site, you could sit for weeks and not read all of it. Your '83 sounds like a standard, the royale is the full monty, with radio/cassette CB and CLASS air suspension. If the bike has been setting as long as you have been told it will need lots of TLC. The carbs will definitely need attention, all fluids will need changing and so on. Up at the top of the forum page on the 2nd blue line, there is a search option. Type in what your looking to learn about and it will bring up all the posts with that criteria. It will save you a lot of time with getting questions answered. The 1st gen Tech Library in the forum area is a great source of information also....Welcome to the club.

As to whether it's a standard or Royale, I have no clue...how do I tell the difference?

You can identify a Standard or Royale by the VIN.

Your VIN should look like this if it is a 1983 Standard: JYA26H00xDA00xxxx

If it is a 1983 Royale it will be: JYA31M00xDA00xxxx

"DA" is the year code for a 1983, as well as some 1984, but the 1984 DA will have JYA47R00xDA00xxxx if it is a Standard and JYA47T00xDA00xxxx if it is a Royale. Some call these bikes 1983½.

A true 1984 VIN will be: JYA41R00xEA00xxxx for the Standard and JYA41V00xEA00xxxx for the Royale.

What is your VIN? It is found on a white label on the lower right frame under your right toe. It is also found stamped into the steering neck.

The only bit of the nearly 30 year old electronics worth keeping is the cruise control :)

The Radio, cassette (who still has those), intercom and CLASS ... and the speakers were all wonderful when new, and rather less than wonderful now.

The intercom .... If you have all the bits, and they work, then fine. Use and enjoy. If not then you could easily end up paying more for elderly parts that the cost of a new Autocom.

The CLASS was a great idea, and some still use it. However, Progressive fork springs in the front are pretty much a requirement, and once you have them you do not need air pressure. Similarly on the back. A Progressive rear shock, or any decent after-market unit means you will have better suspension and no need for the air compressor.

The audio system is just old. If it works then fine, but there are vastly better units out there for less money that our second hand parts.

Deciding not to keep the original electronics is liberating. You go from having to seek out, pay for and fit old stuff, then wonder how to integrate it all with your Android Cellphone, to a clean slate with lots of room to mount the electronics of your coice.

There are folk here who do both ... Both options can be made to work.