IGNORED

Better Declare those Guns at the Border

birin

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/pistol+packing+seniors+fined+after+border+bust/5827447/story.html

Thought some of you might find this interesting.

Two Americans fined $20,000 for not declaring 6 guns at the border into Canada

I thought the articles closing paragraph was "interesting"

"Outside, Barr was asked why they were carrying so many guns, and he said he’d heard that northern Canada was wild and dangerous — “a bit like it was in the old covered wagon days.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/pistol+packing+seniors+fined+after+border+bust/5827447/story.html

Thought some of you might find this interesting.

Two Americans fined $20,000 for not declaring 6 guns at the border into Canada

I thought the articles closing paragraph was "interesting"

"Outside, Barr was asked why they were carrying so many guns, and he said he’d heard that northern Canada was wild and dangerous — “a bit like it was in the old covered wagon days.”

heh ... and they probably were expecting us "Northern Canucks" to be living in igloos ... yet, they were on their way to Alaska ... a US state. I guess they are more civilized there compared to our NWT or northern regions of British Columbia and Yukon.... :confused24:

Does anyone know if/how a U.S. citizen can legally transport firearms into/through Canada to get them to Alaska? What are the rules/law differences for long guns and hand guns? Not planning anything, just curious.

Been a long time ago, but I rode a BMW and my buddy rode his Harley up to Montreal for Expo 67, after we got there I found out he was carrying. Scared the heck out of me that we had crossed the border and did not have a problem.

Does anyone know if/how a U.S. citizen can legally transport firearms into/through Canada to get them to Alaska? What are the rules/law differences for long guns and hand guns? Not planning anything, just curious.

Been a long time ago, but I rode a BMW and my buddy rode his Harley up to Montreal for Expo 67, after we got there I found out he was carrying. Scared the heck out of me that we had crossed the border and did not have a problem.

I do not know that you can transport them yourself to Alaska through Canada.... USPS I think.

I know some of my co-workers went hunting in the fall and to fly the riffles to the area they were going they had to have the trigger lock on and in a hard case with TWO locks on the out side and the amo had to be in a separart locked case. Cost him about $100 for the flight for it all.

If you get to the boarder and do say yes you have wepons they will give you the option of handing them over and I believe if you are re-turning the same way you can pick them up or you can turn around and mail them home or something. No fine no confiscating or anything.

Airports seem to think it is ok to be strip searching 84 yr old women in north america but we feel it wrong a man cannot carry a gun....... go figure.

I do not know that you can transport them yourself to Alaska through Canada.... USPS I think.

I know some of my co-workers went hunting in the fall and to fly the riffles to the area they were going they had to have the trigger lock on and in a hard case with TWO locks on the out side and the amo had to be in a separart locked case. Cost him about $100 for the flight for it all.

If you get to the boarder and do say yes you have wepons they will give you the option of handing them over and I believe if you are re-turning the same way you can pick them up or you can turn around and mail them home or something. No fine no confiscating or anything.

Airports seem to think it is ok to be strip searching 84 yr old women in north america but we feel it wrong a man cannot carry a gun....... go figure.

For long guns and rifles there must be a mechanism to bring them into Canada, I know of several US hunters that come up to this area every year for the game bird season. BUT, I dont think there is any way to get a handgun into the country legally unless youre a long term resident with a permit or a LEO.

I had the experience of having to do that when I crossed into Canada, luckily I remembered it was there, I had forgotten to take it out of the van before I left home. I declared it and had a most pleasurable experience with the customs officers when I had to turn it over to them for the duration of my stay. They told me some very interesting stories about gun ownership in Canada, and complimented me on my choice of handgun. On picking it up on my way out had nothing but compliments for the Canadian Custom agents. Wish all of our LEO's on this side of the border would be as pleasant as they were. Not knocking all LEO's on this side of the border, but some could use some schooling from their northern counterparts.:thumbsup:

Lewis glad it worked for you, but there are a few up here that can learn some manners from some of the US personal as well.

Crossing over to Newby's place one time we were pulled in, I sort of spooked them about how easily the plastic can break. The USBP looked but very carefully after I opened things for him HAHA.

Brad

Why would you need a handgun in Canada? It is lack of information which leads to events like this. We can bring in hand guns so long as we get licences and register them. There are many hunters who come to Canada and there is a procedure in place for bringing in their rifles. I believe you may be able to put a gun in bond if you are going from the US to Alaska.It is when people who have not done their homework and try to lie their way through that problems occur. If you really want to piss off a customs agent on either side of the border just lie to them. I have gone to the local gun club and shot different types of hand gun. It was enjoyable but I cannot justify the cost of owning what is basically a toy for recreation. My toy is my Venture, and the Merc, sold the sailboat.

so....

I would need a passport, pay a $25 decleration fee and I could bring a 5 shot 12 guage with double ot buck shot rounds, or my 5 shot 30-06 with 210 grain bullets across the border...

Well ok ...:confused24:

If I were a crook or thief though, I'd rather get shot with a 38...

A 30-06 or 12 guage is gonna be REALLY, REALLY messy :whistling:

Edited by CaptainJoe

"However, Canadians don’t share this view and see possession of handguns as dangerous, he said."

I would bet that most Canadians would agree that the quote above is grossly overstated especially in the rural areas. :2cents:

In my experience (and please dont shoot the messenger), I would say that most Canadians are ok with possession of rifles and long guns,.... but that the large proportion of our population wants handguns and automatic weapons heavily restricted like they have been for many years.

Brian

In my experience (and please dont shoot the messenger), I would say that most Canadians are ok with possession of rifles and long guns,.... but that the large proportion of our population wants handguns and automatic weapons heavily restricted like they have been for many years.

Brian

I definately dont have a proble with anyone owning rifles, long guns or handguns.