IGNORED

VMax Rear Swap question

I got the rear housing / gears from a VMax and swapped this out with mine on the 2008 RSTD. I don't have the rear wheel back on as yet as I wanted to take the time to check the drive pins before re-installing. My questions are; on the forum someone mentions two special tools required to change the drive housing. One, I assume, is to hold the coupling up inside of the fork tube to make it easier to get the drive shaft spline into it. The other is for some sort of bearing retainer? I didn't have either tool. One thing I did do was to start the driveshaft into the coupler, then push it into the housing aligning the spring, etc. Then I slid the entire assembly together and started the acorn nuts. Anything I may have missed on the rear housing end by doing this?

I'm not sure but I think that those special tools that you are thinking about are for those who might try changing the internals from one housing to another. I've pulled the rear end several times and have also swapped mine to a VMAX rear and never needed any special tools. I bought the until complete though and the gears were already installed in a RSV housing.

I purchased housing and all from John Fulmer?, the guy up in Allentown, Pa who advertises on this site. The old for the speedometer pick up was already there. I haven't ridden the bike yet. Doing the swap to the Flanders bars at the same time. Should be done this morning.

Good deal. I got mine from John also. He knows what he is doing and has been doing it for a long time. I hope you are as happy with the change as I am.

Havent I spent enough money on my bike yet???? Must you guys always tempt others here with good stuff?? For the love of Pete...stop it!!!!!!

:bawling::bawling::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::whistling::whistling:

Went for a test ride today. FANTASTIC!! The bike was already reasonably fast, considering what it is. But it wasn't a bike that would give you that rush from accelleration. Now...it still isn't a drag racer by any means, but it does give me that rush. And the Flanders Bars? It's like a different bike. Not only is it more comfortable, but low speed control is much improved. I guess just because I am in a more upright, controlled position. Overall two great mods that are well worth the investment. The VMax gears / housing were $300 exchange (must leave a $300 core charge, which is returned when the old gear set is sent back) - plus some shipping. The Flanders bars were $129 with free shipping. Ruffy, anything else I can say to help you with your agony, just let me know! :stirthepot:

The Flanders bars were $129 with free shipping. Ruffy, anything else I can say to help you with your agony, just let me know! :stirthepot:

Too late on the Flanders bars. I already did them. :smile5: