IGNORED

Can you polish front brake rotors?

midnight maddog

Now I would think that a polished surface on the part of the rotors that the brake pads run would reduce your stopping power until the pads get them worn back to the correct finish. Which will mess up all of that work you put into polishing them. I would certainly NOT clear coat them or you may have no brakes at all till the clear wears off.

I would almost think that polished rotors would be more for a garage or trailer queen so that the brakes do not get used to mess up the polishing.

This is all just a guess on my part.

You can polish the rotors to look plated. Like stated before no need to polish pad area as it will dull right now. It will still brake fine. Being stainless they will polish just fine, hold the shine, and no clear coat. Clear coat can be used on aluminum, copper, brass, etc. where oxidation occurs. Unless industrial clear is used standard laquer or poly will turn yellow tint and peel over time. Polishing is labor intensive (not talking shoes) especially on stainless. You have to sand them glass smooth and then I would recommend a 3/4 HP or better buffer, sissal wheel and green bar (stainless) compound. Also, wear a mask.

Yea , what moped said. A good caranuba wax should give you decent protection vs a clear coat. I dont plan on polishing the pad area but the center hub and the rotor edge.