IGNORED

New front rim try # 2

Found another Vmax front rim for a decent price, this one is straight unlike last one I got. The seller did cheerfully refund money & shipping, plus didn't want rim back. $8 in scrap aluminum.

Little bit of shimming and get the just broke in Avon on it and it will be one step closer to being a born again VMax.

This one doesn't have red stripe though. But I do have a vinyl cutter I just got from my brother in law, so I might try cutting stripes for it.

Gary

Edited by dingy

check that rim size. I thought Vmax used a 2.15 wide rim...IE...rated for a 110 size tire not 120 tire. Using a 120 tire on a 2.15 rim will not help stability.

Hey Gary, i'd look at a FJR front Rim. It's 3.5x17 and it's great Conversion on the 1Gen VMax.

Jason is right, the 2.15" Rim will take a 110/80R18 Tire, but not a 120/70.

I measured outside width on the stock Venture rim and the VMax rim.

Stock rim is 3.005" wide

Vmax is 2.9005" wide

That is .100" difference. I am going to use this thing, my sidewall profile is a 90, which gives the sidewall some more distance to flex in, as opposed to the 70 or 80's referred to.

:sign02:

Gary

Dingy, you are missing the measurement. There is a number on the outside of the rim. That number is the BEAD mounting width. '83 Venture had 2.15" BUT '84 and on years went to 2.5" because of less than ideal handling with the 120 tire on a 2.15" rim. Some know this as the wobble in front. The 2.15 rim made this issue worse than the 2.5 rim, depending on tires. If you are running an '83 rim originally. Then my posts mean little. Then you will not notice a difference from what you are used to. But Yamaha changed to 2.5" for valid reasons. I have had my '87 for 20+ years. But I had an '83 prior. There is a difference in handling from the '84's I had ridden while owning my '83... that I could feel when friends switched bikes...back in the 80's.