IGNORED

I suppose most will hate this, but a LIKE button?

myminpins

The button he's talking about (I believe) is at the very bottom of the page on the right side next to the page number indicator. It is a drop down box where you can enter the page number that you want to go back to.

Ah, I see. Okay. I don't have that button as I have 50 posts per page but it doesn't take you back to the board so... :)

Thanks.

I just tried it under MYMINPINS last post...and it says 1 member likes this post....so much like a thanks functiion...and it took me back to your post.

I honestly don't understand what you did. Screen shots would be SO helpful here. Sometimes I'm really dense. Please???

3 pictures....

1. the screen shot ....if you look in the lower right corner you can see the THANKS button we've had for a long time and the LIKE button....the green "thumbs up"
  2. Close up of the "LIKE" button
  3. Close up of results when someone "LIKES" your post.

if you look back to your post (2-3 ago) you see how many "LIKES" you have for that post.

It looks like you can't see the LIKE button on your own posts.

I will give Brenda one thing, it is inconvenient to have to "back" through a number of screens to get back to listing of recent posts. Yes, you can simply go hit "new posts" again but if you have 3 or four pages you wind up back at the beginning instead of page three where you left off, still, if that's all you have to b*tch about, you got too much time on your hand. No offense.

Was the amount of time spend to duplicate a feature which already existed (rate thread) really worth it so you don't have to back space two pages, not to mention was it worth Don's time? After all, this is not his job, it's his hobby, he's got a family too.

As an imported resident I have to take the view that Americans are just getting ridiculous, everything has to be sooo easy, it's not like an extra keystroke is going to kill anybody

@Barend: I am NOT from the USA. I am from Canada, thank you very much.

I did not insist on the like button nor did I rant and rave about it, I just requested it and left it up to Don. Over react much???

I type for a living and am on computers all the time so, for me, if it's inefficient and there's a more efficient way to do things, I would prefer that. When you're paid according to how fast you type, you tend to want everything quick and efficient. If that's a horrible fault and something you cannot understand, that's fine but please don't belittle me because I requested a feature on the board, the key word being request.

I had completely forgotten about the "rate this thread" button and didn't think anyone used it, actually. Just FYI.

Guest tx2sturgis
I will give Brenda one thing, it is inconvenient to have to "back" through a number of screens to get back to listing of recent posts. Yes, you can simply go hit "new posts" again but if you have 3 or four pages you wind up back at the beginning instead of page three where you left off,

Or you can set your preferences to provide the latest posts at the tops of the pages....

Mine is set for [Linear-Newest First] under 'Thread Display Options'....works good for me, the only thing that you need to keep in mind is that when someone else posts something like "see above comment", the comment will actually be BELOW that statement....Other than that it works well for me. And heck, if you dont like it that way you can always reset it as it was before.

On any thread I'm actively following, the most recent messages are right there when I click on that thread. I may have to scroll down a bit to get to the messages I've already read, and then continue up from there..but its normally only a few new ones that accumulate over a day or so on MOST of the threads.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Don, can we also get a dislike button?:stickpoke::rotfl:

That would actually be very easy because now I've got the code in place. I'm still not convinced though that we need both a "like" and a "thanks" button. I'm just watching the comments and then will decide whether or not to keep it.

That would actually be very easy because now I've got the code in place. I'm still not convinced though that we need both a "like" and a "thanks" button. I'm just watching the comments and then will decide whether or not to keep it.

Personally I think it just takes up space in the thread unnecessarily. I'd dump it if it was just my choice.

Goose

Isn't the "Thanks" button somehow related to a person's status or the "awards" they get?

I can see how a "Like" and a "Thanks" is different - "I like your comments" vs "you've been a big help and I appreciate it!"

Rating and tagging keywords in threads isn't something I've played around with much. I imagine tagging keywords makes the search quicker.

Guest tx2sturgis
The green indicator is to the right of the user name on the post.

I see it now....weird, I did a refresh and they came back...dunno what happened....

• 2 weeks later...

OK, after trying it for a while, I decided to remove the "Like" button. It basically does the exact same thing as the "Thanks" button. If you really like a post, just "thank" them for it. I just don't think we need both. Not only does it just add more clutter to the screen but it also results in more queries to the server. Not a huge deal but always best to have as few as possible.

• 1 year later...
OK, after trying it for a while, I decided to remove the "Like" button. It basically does the exact same thing as the "Thanks" button. If you really like a post, just "thank" them for it. I just don't think we need both. Not only does it just add more clutter to the screen but it also results in more queries to the server. Not a huge deal but always best to have as few as possible.

:bighug:THANKS!

:bighug: