IGNORED

Shift shaft seal leaking???

I watched Squid take one out od a 99 RSTC and it is pressed in, ended up having to heat the area up, with out dis-coloring the chrome and them popping it out.... it was a %$#@, but they got it, then the new one just taps in.... good luck..

How hard it this seal to replace? Just pull rear left side cover off, dig it out and press one back on?

:confused24:

I watched Squid take one out od a 99 RSTC and it is pressed in, ended up having to heat the area up, with out dis-coloring the chrome and them popping it out.... it was a %$#@, but they got it, then the new one just taps in.... good luck..

What chrome are you talking about? The seal is under the engine/tranny in the center. You'd be heating up the case?:confused24:

• 2 weeks later...

Not much help here on this one I see. Guessing it's not a common problem. The more I think about it, just pulling the left middle gear cover, it would be a pain getting the seal out. I'm thinking pulling the right cover also would allow you to get it out much easier but much more work? :confused:

Well if anyone else has this problem, this is what I ended up doing. After talking to my good friend from THE SABRE GROUP, he suggested one way was to take a sharpened screwdriver (3/32 wide) and drive it down the side of seal a few places to loosen the band and it just pryed out easily. I made a special tool from wood to install it in square around the shift rod. Worked great.

• 6 months later...

I've pulled the gear cover & clutch slave cylinder off 3 times trying to fix/replace my shift shaft seal. No luck. Still leaks oil like crazy under pressure once it starts, and I'm ready to throw in the towel. I never had this problem with my 83 or my 90 Venture, but this one's an otherwise beautiful 86 with 40K miles and I'm ready to push it off a cliff or part it out, since there's nobody around here who knows how to fix it. Finally time to get a 2nd generation or something else I guess.

-Kurt

I'd take a Look at the Engine Breather Assembly. If the Passage or teh Hose towards the Air Box is blocked, the Engine will create Pressure inside the Casing and this would put too much Stress on that little Oil Seal.

Also, if you not carefull placing the Oil Seal over the Shift Shaft, you easily can damage the Lip on the new Oil Seal. I use a oiled plastic Bag over the End of the Shaft to prevent such Damage.

Regarding removing the old Seal. It's easy to put one or two wood threaded Screws in the old oil Seal and wiggle it out.