Two months ago my clutch worked fine, bike has set as I was out of town for work. Get back and have no clutch. I believe my slave cylinder needs to be rebuilt as I do lose fluid over time. usually I can fill the reservoir up do a quick bleed and back on the road. This time not so lucky. When I pull the lever there is absolutely nothing there, as if the lever is not attached to anything.

I cannot seem to get it to build pressure. This has been going on for several days. ANy ideas or suggestions?

If you are losing fluid and it isn't on the outside of the master cylinder, it sorta narrows down where it is going.

Do you have any dripping on the left side at all? I can't see the fluid as getting pushed into the block the way the seal is on the clutch push rod. It should leak out the clutch slave-block junction surface and then to ground.

There are two hose connections sort of hidden. One is near the steering neck where the rubber hose from the master connects to the steel line, then another near the foot peg where the short hose from the slave ties into the other end of the steel line. Also look at the steel line for leaks, there are a couple of place along its path it could have rubbed on the frame and be leaking.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

In a couple weeks when I leave on the road again I am taking it to a buddy that has a bike shop. The brakes are in bad shape and it is not running good. SO I am wanting to get the clutch bled so I can go on a big ride this weekend, then I will rebuild the slave cylinder.

Scot

Doc, you will need to rebuild your slave cylinder most likely. There is no connection to the engine case for the fluid to go as it uses a push rod to activate the clutch thru the case. I had the same issue on my 89 and once I rebuilt the slave cylinder as it stopped the leak.

I would also recommend rebuilding the master cylinder for the clutch. Might as well do it all at one time. And if you really want to do it all, replace the hoses with steel braided ones and you will really see a difference.

The old hoses start to get weak and swell when pressure is applied to them.

Good Luck..

Rick F.

TIed the lever back last night still no clutch. Of course I did not see the part about loosening the master cylinder lid. So I will let it sit all day today and try again tonight. THis getting frustrating. I have had clutch problems before but it has NEVER taken me this long to get it bled and working.

Thanks

Dr. Psycho

TIed the lever back last night still no clutch. Of course I did not see the part about loosening the master cylinder lid. So I will let it sit all day today and try again tonight. THis getting frustrating. I have had clutch problems before but it has NEVER taken me this long to get it bled and working.

Thanks

Dr. Psycho

It has to be able to breathe so the air can get out.