IGNORED

Need head pipes 98 RSTD

My 98 RSTD has rusted leaky front exhaust pipes(rust pinholes at the front bend).Mine was an outside stored bike before I got it...I need to know which year range will fit so I search for used ones. I found some at Pinwall Cycle on Ebay.I'd like to buy the newest model used pipes I can.If anyone has any let me know. I know for sure I need the two front pipes coming from the head to the rear.I don't need the mufflers as I have done the Road King thing.Also any tips,tricks to remove and install such as best exhaust gaskets and such.Also I have a set of new brackets for installing RK pipes,I didn't use them,I decided to weld the stock brackets on my RK muffs.Not sure the going rate( I bought em a year ago) but I'll let them go cheap.Thanks Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any info as to what years the main head pipes are interchangable for my 98 RSTD? Can I use Venture front pipes on a Tour Deluxe?? I found some used Venture pipe complete sets but don't know if they are the same...I only need to use the front head pipes as they are rusted and leaking.

Thanks to this site and all the great tech info,I have brought a neglected RSTD back to life!!

So to keep it simple PLEASE if anybody can clue me in to what years are the same style,I would appreciate it. Thanks

Can't answer your question from personal experience, but if you go to the yamaha-motor.com site and get into the parts listings a simple comparison of part numbers should tell the tale...

---

I am here: [ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.711333,-52.721613]Google Maps[/ame]

does your 98 td have the 2x4 setup? do they have a y-pipe thats welded to the mufflers before you put on the harleys on? 96-01 with the 4x2s on them is the same as the venture and the newer 05-present td but the mounting bracket on the muffler is vertical on yours and hortizonal on newer tds and ventures. i also this the header pipes are a little smaller id than the newer pipes. i also think the mufflers on your td is a little shorter than the newer ones. i have a set of bub pipes on my 01 standard model that was for a venture and sampson mufflers for the 01, but i had to cut the mount off and weld it hortz. because i have the venture bags anbd mounts on mine. you can look at it in my profile pics and maybe see them or go to youtube and enter tazmocycle in search window and you'll see and hear my bike running. if you do get the venture setup, you may have to do a little adjusting to the passenger floorboards, but i don't think it much. let me know if you need anymore help, don.

Thanks,yes I have the 4 into 2 pipe with the y pipe to muffler system.I'm keeping my RK mufflers so I want to find either Venture or Tour Deluxe front 4 headpipe ypipe system.I'll call the local Yamaha parts shop and see if they can help. I guess my main question is/was,are the mounting flanges at the head the same on all years? I'm familiar with the muffler mounting tab difference but that's not my concern since I'm keeping my RK's.You mentioned 05 & newer Tour Deluxe may work,does that include Ventures too? I found a nice head pipe set from an 06 Venture that are like new.I am hoping they will fit.With the newer system larger diameter means more flow so I'm good with that especially since I drilled my RK muffs for best sound and flow. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by Douginflorida
Added a question revised wording

• 9 months later...

I took a chance and bought a complete used exhaust system from an 05 Venture.I had small leaking rust holes in the front headpipes on my 1998 RSTD.I used the front four headpipes and although the actual pipe size is about 1/8' larger,the head mounting flange appeared to be the same.They bolted right up and I used my RK muffs that were already there.There is a bracket on the Venture pipes down in the lower rear area under the passenger foot peg that I didn't have or use.It looks like I could fab a small metal bracket to make the mounting more sturdy but haven't yet.This is just an FYI in case someone else needs to upgrade thier older Royal Star and don't want to spend a fortune replacing pipes.