IGNORED

Rear wheel width and Max tire size will work on it?

I had discussions with a member about this a year or so back ... now I've lost the PM's and can't remember his nickname. Anyhoo ... he was running a 170 on the rear but apparently had to shave some metal off the inner fender bracket. I'll look and see if I saved any of this info once I'm back at home.

I have done an in-depth search on this and read where one of our members has a 180 on the rear of his 07 RSV. Are the RSV's different in the rear as far as clearance than a RSTD? The member didn't post a photo or description of the process.

I have done an in-depth search on this and read where one of our members has a 180 on the rear of his 07 RSV. Are the RSV's different in the rear as far as clearance than a RSTD? The member didn't post a photo or description of the process.

I could be mistaken (was one time before...) but I believe the RSV and RSTD are the same as far as frame and suspension are concerned. I just saw on f/b where a guy has a 180 on the rear (so he claimed). I'd be wondering about it's fitment on the stock rim ... sure, it probably fits but is it within spec?

I could be mistaken (was one time before...) but I believe the RSV and RSTD are the same as far as frame and suspension are concerned. I just saw on f/b where a guy has a 180 on the rear (so he claimed). I'd be wondering about it's fitment on the stock rim ... sure, it probably fits but is it within spec?

Yeah-Yeah-Yeah!!! I Make one typo....... :starz::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

• 3 weeks later...
So nobody knows, that's pretty lame. Really, I thought someone would know, I know on the VTX site there is a lot of experience on this type of thing.

"I KNOW"----On my 07 RSV I have Dunlop E-3s----- and one good look at the clearance between the tire and driveshaft tube let me know I don't want wider!!!

I'm runnin a stock size E2 on the rear of mine and I'll tell you what. I can break that rear loose from a take off to a slow rolling take off anytime I want. Gets my attention in a left or right turn taking off from a light or stop sign. I have to take it easy on the throttle or I'll be sliding sideways in nothing flat. Straight take off from a light or stop sign I can still break it loose but its generally more controllable .

I'm runnin a stock size E2 on the rear of mine and I'll tell you what. I can break that rear loose from a take off to a slow rolling take off anytime I want. Gets my attention in a left or right turn taking off from a light or stop sign. I have to take it easy on the throttle or I'll be sliding sideways in nothing flat. Straight take off from a light or stop sign I can still break it loose but its generally more controllable .

The slides are Fun!!! Its just those stops that suck!!:innocent:

Some 180's will fit depending on the profile but all you're really doing is pissing money down the drain. The wheel is designed to hold a 150, you put a wider tire on it and you increase the crown of the tire and loose contact patch causing the tire to wear faster in the middle.

You thought somebody would know??? Do you know?

With your experience of six royal Stars to you claim I thought it would be you. At the time I started this thread I had owned my bike all of 3 weeks. My VTX had a 180 stock and if you asked me what is the largest tire would fit I would reply a 200 since I had one installed. There is also some thought that I wanted the larger tire so I could spin it, wrong. It just seems to me that the 150 being narrower than what I was accustom the bike wants to track more so in the grooves in the road than my 180's.

Sorry to have some expectation of knowledge from this group.:95:

i have ran a 180 on my 01 royal satr standard, first one, the outer bead that sticks out scrubbed a little till it wore it down. i added a few extra lbs in it and it ran fine. i have ran 170 most of the time with no problems. i did put a 170 metzler on it that a friend had on his 97 royal star which didn't scrub on his but did on mine, i put a few more lbs in it and it stopped scrubbing. some of the v-max guys puts the flat washer between the wheel and hub to get clearance without any problems but i didn't want to have less contact between the splines in the drive gears. some has cut a little offset out of the driveshaft tube and welded a new piece thats dented in where the widest part of the tire hits. i know the v-star 1100 don't have a tube cover over the drive shaft where it goes up to the engine, which give a lot of room for wider tire on rear. ifeel that i get better traction with the wider tire, and the best yire i've used is the avons venimous.

Hi that would be me, I run the 180 on the rear, Metzler ME 880 I have 1/8 inch clearance. from the drive shaft housing.

This is my 3rd 180, I just pump up my rear shock to 27 lbs, I got the tire cause I tow my trailer alot. If I get 12 to 14 thousand on it, I consider myself lucky

Edited by Brake Pad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yammer Dan viewpost.gif

With your experience of six royal Stars to you claim I thought it would be you. I say that with no offence intended. At the time I started this thread I had owned my bike all of 3 weeks. My VTX had a 180 stock and if you asked me what is the largest tire would fit I would reply a 200 since I had one installed. There is also some thought that I wanted the larger tire so I could spin it, that is wrong. It just seems to me that the 150 being narrower than what I was accustom the bike wants to track more so in the grooves in the road than my 180's.

Sorry to have some expectation of knowledge from this group.:95:

Nice talk for a guy thats new and also want something. :doh: :whistling:

There is more knowledge about these bike in this group than any other goroup you will be able to find.

But having said that, we all don't know everything... we are all still learning as we go.

:soapbox: and so it goes.

Nice talk for a guy thats new and also want something. :doh: :whistling:

There is more knowledge about these bike in this group than any other goroup you will be able to find.

But having said that, we all don't know everything... we are all still learning as we go.

:soapbox: and so it goes.

Originally Posted by Yammer Dan viewpost.gif

When Yammer Dan replied with the above it didn't make me feel real warm and fuzzy, BTW I didn't know you had to have seniority to use sarcasm. Sorry!!

Some 180's will fit depending on the profile but all you're really doing is pissing money down the drain. The wheel is designed to hold a 150, you put a wider tire on it and you increase the crown of the tire and loose contact patch causing the tire to wear faster in the middle.

I will also agree with the above. I have considered a wider tire primarily because I think it will look better, But, depending on the recommended rim widths, the above holds true and you end up with less net rubber on the road.

I'd like to up grade to a 17 inch rear wheel so I can run radials front and rear (I have a strat front wheel with a radial), And thought about using an FJR rear rim, but then theres a whole another set of issues to work out. So far a bias rear and radial front hasn't been an issue.

Your groove tracking could also be the brand of tire or the tread patterns.

Other than that, At 21k miles if they haven't been checked, steering head bearings can make it feel loose an dpossibly exagerate any groove track sensations.

Can't help much with the what's the largest that fill fit beyond what's been posted.

RSTDdog

Thanks to all that contributed with an answer. I would like to apologize to Yammer Dan for my ignorance of these Yamaha bikes, it was my understanding that since they are referred to by the three groups that I have subscribe to as Generation 1 and Generation 2; that they were all Royal Star motorcycles by Yamaha. Now since I have done farther research and I may still be wrong the first generation bikes are Venture Royale.

I know on the other VTX sites I have been on, we had to watch out for people posting advise and they didn't have the same bike as in a 1300 v/s 1800, plus the different models within the cc group.