IGNORED

Improving Lines of the Saddlebag Guard Rails

OEM Bag Rails- Do the Lines Look Right to You?

By Brad Norris “Boomer”

OK, I couldn’t wait until I bought a set of OEM bag rails from a guy on bay. These were the Real McCoy and came in the OEM box. I made special time on a busy Saturday as soon as they arrived and mounted them up. Installation is quick and easy with the most time spent on removing the bags.

After installation I admired them from all angles but wasn’t quite happy with the fit up. It appears to me that the bottom of the rails, when compared to the lines of the bag, just didn’t look right. The back end of the rails appears to be higher than in the front. Also, the back of the rails sat right under the turn signals- in fact, they touch each other.

I quickly became suspicious of the Ebayer I bought these from but after looking at many pics on the forums I subscribe to, I saw the same trend in 95% of those I saw.

Here is a side shot before with the camera leveling out on the rail. Muffler removed for clarity.

http://www.venturerider.org/bagrails/pic1.jpg

The rear distance from the bottom of the bag to the bottom of the rail is much different from the front measurement. Mine was out ¾”. To make the “gaps” closer to each other, either the back of the bags must be raised or the rails lowered in the rear. Since it is impractical to raise the bags, I decided to lower the rails. To do this, remove the bag and loosen the front mounting bolt on the rail.

Here’s a back shot of the bike with the OEM mount up. Note that the rail rubs the signal.

http://www.venturerider.org/bagrails/pic2.jpg

I would suggest you do your own measurements to determine where to drill the new hole for the rear mount. Use a small “C” clamp on the rear mount when you think your measurement is close and then set the bag back on to see how it looks. It’s a bit tricky, but better to measure twice- and drill once.

Important- Since the chrome rail you will drill into is “U” shaped, be mindful that you will have to put a metric nut behind it for the bolt. If you drill too close to the edge of the rail, you may not have enough room to thread the bolt in the new nut. The back of the rail has foam in it. Just make way for the new nut. I can’t remember the size of the nut but I bought it at Home Depot.

When you have the final position, hold the back of the rail in place and use a spring loaded center punch to mark the new bolt location.

http://www.venturerider.org/bagrails/pic3.jpg

A spring loaded center punch makes this task a bit easier. If you don’t have one, GET ONE. Here’s a pic of mine:

http://www.venturerider.org/bagrails/pic4.jpg

Be sure to put some scrap metal behind the bracket before you push the drill through the fender and god forbid…the tire! Now, place the rear bolt that came with the rails through the support in the hole you just drilled and fasten with a nut (metric). Retighten the front bolt and install the bag.

You should have something that resembles this:

http://www.venturerider.org/bagrails/pic5.jpg

When you’re done, you will notice the rails-to-bag lines look much better.

http://www.venturerider.org/bagrails/pic6.jpg

In the rear, the bag rails no longer rub the signals. Enjoy!

http://www.venturerider.org/bagrails/pic7.jpg

http://www.venturerider.org/bagrails/pic8.jpg

Thanks Larry. Yeah, bag rails were one of the first things I put on my stock '05 RSMV but I have never been happy with the fit. So, one cold Saturday morning, I did something about it. Hope it works ok for you. Remember to look at the fit twice....and drill once! Your measurements may be different.

For those of you who run the Diamond-R Bag rail lights in concert with those that fit under the bags, this should be a better solution to pull the two lines together. One of these days I'm going to have enough "bike money" saved up to buy some of Alans great rail lamps myself! First I gotta get this Stebel horn mounted!!:cool10:

I have always thought the bag rails looked "out of line" with the angel of the side bags and because of that, I have never purchased the side bag rails....I didnt like the looks of them.

But now, this modification makes them align up like they should with the angle of the side bags.

Have one question on this mod:

Does the "angle" of the bottom rail bar, line up with the "angle" of the muffler, once the muffler is re-installed?

I wont be getting bag rails soon, but when I do, I will definately mount them like you just did.

Other (stupid info):

I noticed the long green and red carpet you have on the floor in pics #1 and #6.......

We have one in our garage that looks like a perfect match!!!! :rotf:

I have always thought the bag rails looked "out of line" with the angel of the side bags and because of that, I have never purchased the side bag rails....I didnt like the looks of them.

But now, this modification makes them align up like they should with the angle of the side bags.

Have one question on this mod:

Does the "angle" of the bottom rail bar, line up with the "angle" of the muffler, once the muffler is re-installed?

I wont be getting bag rails soon, but when I do, I will definately mount them like you just did.

Other (stupid info):

I noticed the long green and red carpet you have on the floor in pics #1 and #6.......

We have one in our garage that looks like a perfect match!!!! :rotf:

Yeah, the wife drug that rug thing home from my Mothers yardsale last year. I'm sure it was nice when new, but you see where it is now !:rotf:

As for the bag-to-pipes thing, I suppose it depends on how they line up to the bottom of the bags now. I run RK's and they mount up very well and look good when compared to the rails/bags. The Baron's I just bought seem to look a bit elevated in the rear though. I was reading where Baron's improved their muffs and claim they mount up closer to the bags. That's what I am dealing with on those. But it's not as noticeable IMHO as the rails were.

Check to see if you like the lines now between the pipes and the bag bottoms. If you do, add rails and do my mod. should be a cool look!

:080402gudl_prv:

After reading about the rails I thought I'd offer a tip. I put the chrome door trim all around my saddle bags and around my front fairing and it looks great. Get the kind that is "U" shaped and it is self adhesive and covers the little space where the bags close and does NOT interfere with anything and most people think it came that way. I'll post pics soon as I'm mounting my harley tour pak and installing running lights and directional lights also on my tour pak. They are leds and I can direct you as to how to get them. You can make that tour pak have extra running,brake,and directional lighting.

I've heard from a few of you regarding my Tech Article here and here's some additional things to ponder:

1) ALWAYS- Check your setup twice before drilling that hole! It is helpful if you use some small clamps and put the rear of the bars where you think they look right. Then set a bag back on and look at it from the side and rear.

2) There is a factory nut welded in the U channel for the original set up. Be sure your measurements keep you away from this nut and the side of the U channel.

....NOW you can drill your hole!...:080402gudl_prv:

Ever notice that "Boomer" and Freebird are never in the same picture at the same time? Think it might just be the Superman - Clark Kent thing.

:rotf:

Which ever...good write up either way.

Question/Suggestions...I'm looking for the stock rear fender rack; the one that is used when the passenger saddle is not used. having very little luck with Ebay, and i'm a little too cheap to shell out the $100+ at the store. any alternative thoughts on locating one. And, ditto for metal to go on top of the saddle bag lids.

thanks in advance and just thanks in general for those that keep this site afloat. "Nothing but love, Baby"

Hi FreeBird,

Just wanted to know how you like your bike lift I saw in the picture? Craftsman I thought it said. Looking for a nice cheap lift.

Thanks,

David

Boomer will have to reply. That is HIS lift.

Hey folks....uh...I wasn't there. This was all boomer's work and he just sent me the article. :)

Hi FreeBird,

Just wanted to know how you like your bike lift I saw in the picture? Craftsman I thought it said. Looking for a nice cheap lift.

Thanks,

David

David, yeah, that's a Craftsman lift. I bought it at a Sears factory outlet new for $47.88. I suppose they were getting rid of them. If you go this way, stop by a pro shop and pick up 4 hockey pucks to use with it, otherwise you will lift on the engine.

I am also the owner of one of Carbon_Ones lift accessories and you should check those out as well. No more Hockey Pucks!!:cool10:

Great addition to your jack and can come with freestanding legs if you want.

Regards, Freebird......UH, I MEAN BOOMER!