Need some advice guys. I picked up a refurb 'famous maker' (HP ) 23" LED monitor off WOOT a couple of weeks ago. Installed it using the VGA cable and I'm not getting any reds ecept when I bring up the internal RBG control menu. On the internal RGB adjustment the bar shows nice red/green/blue colors, but the screen is only shows BLUE and GREEN. Thought it might be the VGA cable so fiddled with it, but no improvement(red). The computor is a DELL XPS 400 that I picked up 2-3 years ago. I have no problem with the color display with the original Dell Monitor using their priority cable, but now I'm wondering if the original Graphics Card is doing it's job?? The optimum resolution is 1920x1080. I can get close and the screen is really sharp but the resolution adjustment only offers 13 something by 8 something?? WOOT offered to take it back at their cost, but I'm not ready to give up on this thing yet. Any ideas??

Do a search on the net for driver software for the monitor ... maybe even on Dell's site as the video card is probably one of theirs.

Check this site...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5076897#N152

Thanks Rick. I did, and installed the updated driver for the Monitor. Rebooted. Still no good news. I can't verify the VGA cable is good since I don't have another to compare it to... It may be the cable???

Thanks Rick. I did, and installed the updated driver for the Monitor. Rebooted. Still no good news. I can't verify the VGA cable is good since I don't have another to compare it to... It may be the cable???

If you do not know the cable is good it is most likley your culprit, if the mointor shows red when you adjust it internally it could also be the connection in the back of the monitor. Does the mointor have a DVI or HDMI connection that you could plug your blu ray or cable box into it?

Guest tx2sturgis

Just for grins, loosen the screws on the connector(s) and slightly wiggle the connector while watching the screen. Sometimes those connectors and receptacles have some play in them.

the original Dell Monitor using their priority cable

Priority cable?? .... Dunno what that means Jack... I've been working with Dell products for many years and their cables don't appear any different than any other "clone" PC. Is this some kinda special Video card / monitor that came with the PC? I looked up the Dell XPS400 online and it doesn't appear out of the ordinary.

Is it using a DVI cable maybe?

One thing I did read is... (The bad: No HDTV capabilities; wired mouse and keyboard; no dual graphics card upgrade path.)

If you do not know the cable is good it is most likley your culprit, if the mointor shows red when you adjust it internally it could also be the connection in the back of the monitor. Does the mointor have a DVI or HDMI connection that you could plug your blu ray or cable box into it?

It does have an HDMI port. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Just for grins, loosen the screws on the connector(s) and slightly wiggle the connector while watching the screen. Sometimes those connectors and receptacles have some play in them.

Already tried that... No luck...

Priority cable?? .... Dunno what that means Jack... I've been working with Dell products for many years and their cables don't appear any different than any other "clone" PC. Is this some kinda special Video card / monitor that came with the PC? I looked up the Dell XPS400 online and it doesn't appear out of the ordinary.

Is it using a DVI cable maybe?

One thing I did read is... (The bad: No HDTV capabilities; wired mouse and keyboard; no dual graphics card upgrade path.)

Here's a pic of the plug Rick. You tell me... I've never run into one of these before. It came with the 19" Dell LCD Monitor. The card has this and a VGA port in it... The old monitor has a VGA port also. At least it looks like a VGA... 9 pin..?? The new monitor has an HDMI. Don't see why it can't be hooked up to a cable box??

Here's a pic of the plug Rick. You tell me... I've never run into one of these before. It came with the 19" Dell LCD Monitor. The card has this and a VGA port in it... The old monitor has a VGA port also. At least it looks like a VGA... 9 pin..?? The new monitor has an HDMI. Don't see why it can't be hooked up to a cable box??

9 pin is VGA

Try a different VGA cable or the DVI cable if it will interface (

Guest tx2sturgis

Thats a standard (more or less) DVI connector. Its not a proprietary connector. It combines both analog and digital signals in one connector.

They have been known to fail now and then..

Thats a standard (more or less) DVI connector. Its not a proprietary connector. It combines both analog and digital signals in one connector.

They have been known to fail now and then..

That's the plug from the old monitor and apparently it works fine. Nice to know what to call it. I'm going to invest in another VGA cable and see what happens. If it's still FUBAR I'll return the thing to WOOT. Too bad 'cause it's a great monitor for the money.....

Fixed the cotton picker.... Still not sure exactely what the problem might have been. It was a toss up between the VGA port on the graphics card being bad because of no use, the VGA cable supplied with the monitor being bad. or possibily the VGA port on the monitor being bad. What I ended up doing is buying two cables to do some testing before sending the monitor back. One VGA-VGA, and one DVI-HDMI. Tried the later first and it worked. I now have red, and I ain't screwing with it no more. Picture is as sharp as a tack, and the color is awesome.... :sign woo hoo:

Guest tx2sturgis

Glad it worked...those cables have been known to fail:

RWKG

'Replace With Known Good'. A wonderful troubleshooting tool.

:happy34: