I'm thinking of delinking the brakes on my '83 Venture and I got questions.

I know it would be best to replace the master cylinder to handle the extra volume of the second front caliper, but money is tight. Can it be done using the stock master cylinder. What would the disadvantages of using the stock master cylinder. I imagine I would need to apply more pressure on the lever, but I think can live with that.

The main reason I want to delink is I have floorboards on the bike and to operate the brake peddle I need to pick my foot up off the floorboard and step on the peddle. I don't feel comfortable with this setup. I am also use to riding bikes without linked brakes.

I am considering replacing the floorboards with OE pegs, but that is currently not in the budget.

I know it would be best to replace the master cylinder to handle the extra volume of the second front caliper, but money is tight. Can it be done using the stock master cylinder. What would the disadvantages of using the stock master cylinder. I imagine I would need to apply more pressure on the lever, but I think can live with that.

The main reason I want to delink is I have floorboards on the bike and to operate the brake peddle I need to pick my foot up off the floorboard and step on the peddle. I don't feel comfortable with this setup. I am also use to riding bikes without linked brakes.

I am considering replacing the floorboards with OE pegs, but that is currently not in the budget.

Actually, if you put a larger bore master on, you need to increase the hand lever pull to get the same pressure as a smaller master. You get more volume, but less pressure as you increase master cylinder bore.

It is a trade off, how close to the grip is your lever coming now? If it right against grip, you probably need the bigger bore. Or, it may be possible to turn in the adjusting screw on the front lever if you have excess free play.

I have delinked mine and am much happier with them. I have been riding stuff since I was 5 years old, and never liked this linked idea.

Gary

I am using the original front brake master cylinder on my '85 VR. I had steel braided lines made for the two front calipers and reused one of the rubber lines from the master to the splitter. There is an adjustment inside the lever that gets you more "stroke". Getting the air out of the system was a challenge. I had to pump up the lever and break open the line at the front master to get a bunch of air out. Then, I had to pump the lever, tie it with a bungie cord and leave it overnight before I got anything at all!

The lever is a little "soft" with plenty of brakes. I think a steel braided line needs to replace the old (and long) rubber line. I plugged the outlet on the rear master, left the rear brake on the original outlet and I have very little rear brake available. This was a mistake and I will be switching them. I really, really like the brakes de-linked.

:080402gudl_prv: