OK..Forks are drained, anti dive parts are off.

Before I do anything else stupid....I figured I'd ask first.

the brackets where the cross over hose connects up near the triple tree.

Is that supposed to just slide off? I can't see any kind of clamp but when I try to remove the forks they get hung up on that bracket (with a clunk) so it sounds like a lip in the way.

With Skydoc's block off plates, there is a set of bolts with a hole drilled thru them.

I am thinking they go in place of the hoses?

They came with 2 brass washers for each bolt...do I use 2 on one hose replacement bolt ?

Once the forks are out...how do I get to the bearings. (that's what I figured out....still need help with cross over hoses....they are supposed to be removed when I do the block off plates yes?

Am I getting over analytical or paranoid.....YES I AM!

Edited by Trader
I"m not so dumb after all!!!

Hey Steve,

Unless you have it in mind to do some other project besides the Block Off plates and the Progressive Fork Springs, there is NO reason to remove the front forks! When you remove the Anti-Dive Unit and the hose to the front caliper, you will reattach the brake line to the caliper with the Single Banjo Bolt provided in the kit. One copper washer goes under the bolt head, and then the brake line then the other copper washer. This will detach the Anti-Dive Units from the lower fork legs. As far as the fork springs go, you will remove the grills on each side of the handle bars and remove the cruise control cover exposing the nuts that hold the handle bars. Remove them, and lay them out of the way. You need to put a jack under the front of the bike, (I use a block of wood across the oil pan)

to take the weight off of the front forks. Remove the front wheel. Remove the Allen Plugs at the top of the fork tubes, then slowly lower the front of the bike. The fork tubes will compress and the old springs will come to the top of the tubes. Remove the spacer tube and springs. My cell number is 814-937-8143 Feel free to give me a call.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17

Hey Steve,

I tried your number, seems my new cell phone provider will not let me call Canada! (That's news to me!) The block Off Plate Kit you purchased is for the MKI (83 to 85 VR) NOT the MKII VR (86 to 93 VR) Those two bolts and the 4 washers have NO place to go on the MKII VR because you have electric Anti-Dives not mechanical. The design of the plate for the MKII VR is a different shape, and the spacing of the bolts that retain the Block Off plates is a different distance. If you force these bolts into the holes of the MKII VR forks, damage may result. If you PM me we can work something out. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Steve,

I tried your number, seems my new cell phone provider will not let me call Canada! (That's news to me!) The block Off Plate Kit you purchased is for the MKI (83 to 85 VR) NOT the MKII VR (86 to 93 VR) Those two bolts and the 4 washers have NO place to go on the MKII VR because you have electric Anti-Dives not mechanical. The design of the plate for the MKII VR is a different shape, and the spacing of the bolts that retain the Block Off plates is a different distance. If you force these bolts into the holes of the MKII VR forks, damage may result. If you PM me we can work something out. :thumbsup2:

Earl

I called him, about this & also gave him some tips on steering neck bearings as well.

Thanks for the heads up Earl...I'll save them for my 83...by the way....the number you gave me is different from the one in your profile.....which I called earlier today...but all is good now.

I"ll just put the anti dive back on for now and do the block off's another time.

Reason for pulling it all apart is to replace the steering head bearings and doing the progressives while its all apart..

Rocket called me and helped out a lot with how to go about it.

Gotta love this site....With all this help even somebody like me can get thru jobs like this.

(Just exactly which end of the wrench are you supposed to use again?):smile5:

I'll have to wait a bit on them for now.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

any suggestions on how to get the lower bearing brace out?

I've been beating on it but there is hardly any surface area to get a punch on!

I tried spraying it with wd40 and using several different types uf punches and prybars...but like I said, just nothing to get a tool on it!

It is recessed so I can't use asocket like

I did on the top.

Typing with one hand cause the other is soaking in salt water after smashing it with a hammer...but I'm still having fun!