IGNORED

Wired for sound

spear

Greetings all. On my last big trip in April this year I had cause (need) to replace my mobile phone. Ended up with a Nokia N8-00, and boy is it a beauty.

By playing around with it I have discovered a number of remarkable features, the least of which is that it has a standard 3mm audio jack outlet. To cut to the chase - if I run the phone through the auxiliary of the RSV and programme my phone, I can use it as a hands-free phone whilst riding (or stationary). It has 16GB of memory and I have loaded 1,520 mp3 music files onto it and I play that also through the audio out. I keep the phone charged using a standard Nokia 12V charger. I also have an internet radio application on the phone through which I can listen to thousands of radio stations from around the world - all whilst riding. If a phone call, text message or email come in the radio volume dies out for about ten seconds so the relevant alert tone can be heard. If it's a phone call I have auto answer and the music is auto-muted. The phone is mounted to the bars of the bike with a secure holder and I have a three-way 12V + USB outlet mounted to the top of my front brake master cylinder. Through that outlet I also run my GPS and the USB is handy for charging my 8GB MP4 player that I also use for music. Surely no need for a CD player or tape deck. :)

• 1 month later...