IGNORED

voyager trike problems

hojo

I have one of the voyager kits on a 883 sportster & It was installed by the local Harley dealer & it rode like **** pulled hard to the right & I decided to do my own adjustments first thing I saw was the bike just didn't seem to sit right it was leaning a little to the left & it just didn't look right rear shocks were in the first hole toward the front so here's what I did loosened everything up got out my level & tape measure got the bike sitting up straight moved the lower shock back yo the last hole tightened everything back up & test tide much much better , these are still hard to turn & kind of squirrely on the road but they can be made rideable if you play with the adjustment anymore ideas or pics of things that make them work better would be appreciated

This is an old post but contains some good information. I bought a Voyager kit separately and mounted it on the '04 midnight. The first attempt to install was a train wreck. But after carefully viewing the videos on their web site, and talking to a Voyager tech, the second time around was successful. Forget the installation manual, it hasn't been up dated in 10 years, and is not user friendly. The end result is the bike rides very nice, corners well, and after getting used to not tilting, isn't scary any longer....

• 1 month later...

My one MAJOR problem with my Voyager outfit was the swing arm bracket on the right side not sitting flat against the swing arm. There was a gap of around 3/8" at the leading edge. Consequently the hose clamp would not stay done up and would slide back towards the axle and the bracket would work loose.

First thing I did was put the bracket in a vice, and using a long piece of 1" square tube bend it a little along its entire length. Put it back on the bike and checked it again against the swing arm until I got it flush.

Then, using a square file, I cut a shallow groove - same width as the hose clamp - on the underside of the bracket about 1" from the leading edge. Reinstalled the bracket with new hex-head screws and Loctite and put on a new hose clamp. Then, to give it that extra bit of security I applied a second hose clamp, in front of and hard up against the first.

That shallow groove 'captures' the hose clamp and prevents any chance of it wanting to slide off.

That was 12 months and about 2,000kms ago and nothing has moved.

I'm not sure if the original shape of the bracket was not meant to be. I tend to think it was an error, although in the users' manual it looks straight. Maybe it's just a problem with the RSV. Either way, if Voyager is reading this (and I find they tend to check this forum off and in) they might take it on board.

I'm extremely happy with my outfit (thanks Annie) and at times when I've thought about removing it and riding au-natural I stop myself and say, "No. Life's good. Life's a Venture. Get on and ride!"

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I HAD TROUBLE WITH MY VOYAGER TRIKE KIT AND HAD TO HAVE IT ADJUSTED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES. I FINALLY MADE A PIECE FOR EITHER SIDE THAT BOLTS TO THE SIDE OF THE BIKE AND TO THE FRAME OF THE KIT. THIS TOOK CARE OF MY PROBLEMS AND IT RIDES LIKE A TRIKE WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE NOW. THERE'S NOT MUCH LEAN IN CURVES, AND IT'S A GOOD BALANCED RIDE . I WILL BE GLAD TO YOU PICTURES IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. :lightbulb:

Would you pop the pics off to me also? My kit is quite temperamental too..would like to view what you did// Thanks, George

Thanks, pics look good. George.

I HAD TROUBLE WITH MY VOYAGER TRIKE KIT AND HAD TO HAVE IT ADJUSTED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES. I FINALLY MADE A PIECE FOR EITHER SIDE THAT BOLTS TO THE SIDE OF THE BIKE AND TO THE FRAME OF THE KIT. THIS TOOK CARE OF MY PROBLEMS AND IT RIDES LIKE A TRIKE WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE NOW. THERE'S NOT MUCH LEAN IN CURVES, AND IT'S A GOOD BALANCED RIDE . I WILL BE GLAD TO SEND YOU PICTURES IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. :lightbulb:

• 1 month later...
I HAD TROUBLE WITH MY VOYAGER TRIKE KIT AND HAD TO HAVE IT ADJUSTED SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES. I FINALLY MADE A PIECE FOR EITHER SIDE THAT BOLTS TO THE SIDE OF THE BIKE AND TO THE FRAME OF THE KIT. THIS TOOK CARE OF MY PROBLEMS AND IT RIDES LIKE A TRIKE WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE NOW. THERE'S NOT MUCH LEAN IN CURVES, AND IT'S A GOOD BALANCED RIDE . I WILL BE GLAD TO SEND YOU PICTURES IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. :lightbulb:

CAN YOU SEND PICTURES TO pobr2@yahoo.com, thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a Voyager kit on my 1979 Gold Wing. Could you please send the pictures you have mentioned above? Thanks, Rick

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...