IGNORED

Passing Lamps - In-Line Fuse Replacement

After installing my highway lights, the fuse got so hot after about 2 hours of riding that it literally melted the solder right off the caps. That cheap plastic fuse holder is total junk. I cracked the fairing open, re-routed the wires to the opening under the triple tree in the back of the inside fairing, replaced the stock fuse with a weatherproof mini AGM 10 amp fuse, and was able to tuck the whole thing under the tank where it is totally accessible without having to split the fairing again. What a pain, but it beats the alternative. That stock in-line plastic fuse holder and old style fuse just aren't designed to handle the current I guess. The new one is working fine, and doesn't get warm at all to the touch.

Same thing happened to me. The shop installed the passing lamps and on a road trip, days later, the stock fuse did the same thing, melted.

When I got back they reinstalled no charge but we did also put in a blade type inline fuse. It is sticking through the faring about where the headlight adjust knob is located. And it is YELLOW.

Yep, great idea to make it accessible. Glad you posted, Bobby.

Mike G in SC

Yah! I relocated mine all thge way down to the lower right fairing where the other fuses are and replaced it with a modern spade type fuse...

I thought about putting the new fuse down there as well, but it means removing yet another fairing to get to it. Running it through the back of the upper fairing and tucking it away and out of the weather seemed like a better alternative, and it's more readily accessible. Hopefully I won't have to be replacing the fuse anytime soon (meaning that there is something else wrong!), but it leaves the option open.