IGNORED

Cut the heel toe and made just a toe shifter

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh221/muaymendez/IMAG0264.jpg

Im glad how it came out. If you look close you can see imperfections but who will be looking so close.

I cut in angles with a hacksaw then filed down to a round shape. finished it off with some clear nail polish. While I had it off i sanded all the surface rust from the pivot points and greased all points with some moly.

• 2 months later...

great Idea, I have been thinking the same thing, just havn't done it yet, I never use the heel shifter, and tghe only time it gets used is to accidentallyshift into neutral when I pick my foot up onto the boards.

Obviously it can be done and looks better than I thought it would

Thanks

Al

It's not true that no one uses the heel shifter. There just isn't much about writing a thread that says, "I left my heel shifter alone and I use it."

Okey doke. Thanks. Just wondering as this isn't the first time I've seen this so thought I'd ask :)

Just curious why no one uses the heel shifter? Mike's slowly getting used to it and it'll sure save his boots!!! (They're all scuffed from always using only the toe shifter)

Just curious???:o

Actually there are a bunch of us that use the heel shifter.

I used the toe for a long time, then started using the heel, now the toe shifting just feels weird. And the heel part does not get in my way, must be the very big feet people that have this issue. :stirthepot::rasberry:

With my clod hoppers the heel was always getting stepped on. I installed one of the Venture Lines toe/toe and now I have room to move my feet all over the place on a long ride. I can ride with my toes on the back of the floor board all the way up to putting the heel on the front of the board and my toe on the highway pegs. It sure makes it more comfortable when spending hours in the saddle. BTW nice job on the mod...

• 1 month later...

I too, like to be able to move my feet around on the floor boards. I was going to completely cut off the heal part, but then had second thoughts. This ( see attached picture), is what I've decided upon. With this modification, I can place my toes on the rear of the floor board, and still shift with my heal if I so desire. (Just not at the same time!!!)

Mike

I too, like to be able to move my feet around on the floor boards. I was going to completely cut off the heal part, but then had second thoughts. This ( see attached picture), is what I've decided upon. With this modification, I can place my toes on the rear of the floor board, and still shift with my heal if I so desire. (Just not at the same time!!!)

Mike

That would work.... It looks like you have the same?? highway pegs too. I've actually been giving some thought on shortening the front peg by an inch or so.. I get along fine with the short 1stGen pegs, and the larger peg seems to get in the way a bit... big feet :whistling:... :)

Hey condor thanks for the compliment on the shifter. Now I would like to know if anyone has measured the distance between both shifter pegs. Mine was about 13 or 14 inches which doesnt leave much room to wigggle a size 12 boot. Size 12 is inside length.

My buddy has a 99rsv and his heel peg is further back although he doesnt use the heel either.

I had a goldwing and I found that I shifted extremely hard with the heel shifter and just like a little more control of the toe.

The only thing I miss is when the engine is hot and finding neutral is a pain( the heel peg came in handy to slap it into neutral)

Hey condor thanks for the compliment on the shifter. Now I would like to know if anyone has measured the distance between both shifter pegs. Mine was about 13 or 14 inches which doesnt leave much room to wigggle a size 12 boot. Size 12 is inside length.

My buddy has a 99rsv and his heel peg is further back although he doesnt use the heel either.

I had a goldwing and I found that I shifted extremely hard with the heel shifter and just like a little more control of the toe.

The only thing I miss is when the engine is hot and finding neutral is a pain( the heel peg came in handy to slap it into neutral)

I just measured the spare H/T I have and the pegs are 13" inside to inside. Not much room. I was always hitting the heel peg and not let it come back up for the next shift. PITA. If you think 13" is tight you should try a 1stGen H/T. 9" between pegs. Anyway I just got rid of the heel peg also, but went with the Venture Line. IMO the toe is easier to use because the foot is all you have to move. With the heel the whole leg needs to be lifted.

I ride my wifes 600 shadow the other day, first time in months and rooms me several "missed" shifts as I kept trying to heel shift it. I have really learned to like the heel toe shifted.

Bob

Marshall il

Mine has heel toe, my son's 650 is toe -

every once in a while i ride his, since I look after his maintenance. Takes me a couple km to get used to it, and then I have to get used to mine again.

:mustache:

OK guys... Listen up. This thread is about members that DON'T like the heel part of the shifter. We're not trying to threaten your methods in any way. Personally, I don't really care if you do like the H/T shifter... more power to ya..., but just because you do doesn't mean we all have to abide by your methods. That's what makes the world go 'round.

http://www.cast-aways.com/CONDORPICS/Sam-Side.jpg

I dont remember my toe shifter having any sandpaper or grease on it. My boots look awesome as well. What is this strange phenomenon of people losing thier boots due to toe shifting.

Do they dissapear, do they shrink or disintegrate. does marvin come down from space and shoot it with his dilithium space modulator??

I like the way the shifter looks, cut down.

I do use the heel shifter about 50% of the time.

I wouldn't cut it down even if I didn't use it.

Had a HD years ago and the toe shifter broke and was glad it had a heel shifter.

I was able to flip it over the shifter, heel to front and continue my trip with the heel pad as the toe pad.

Haven't had my RSV off but, looks like it would work the same.

I dont remember my toe shifter having any sandpaper or grease on it. My boots look awesome as well. What is this strange phenomenon of people losing thier boots due to toe shifting.

Do they dissapear, do they shrink or disintegrate. does marvin come down from space and shoot it with his dilithium space modulator??

Mike's boots always looked crappy, toes scuffed and ratty looking. Since he learned to use the heel shifter, his boots stay unscuffed and look much better. I believe that's what they were referring to. :)

The first step I took was a copy of Leland's modification. It looked great, thanks Leland. Unfortunately, the heel part was still in the way when I placed my toes on the back of the floorboard. I then cut the heel part off shorter and drilled a hole and installed a stainless steel screw and acorn nut. Now I can still use the heel shifter, but also have complete freedom of foot movement over the whole floorboard.