IGNORED

Need some Roadstar help

Grindo

I had a strange occurrence today that I thought was going to leave me stranded. I came up on a mobile construction stop light that I knew was very long so I turned off the bike to keep the heat down. It was close to 90 degrees out. I had just done this on the other direction and had made a ccouple other stops with no problems. When I thought the light was about to change I hit the starter and everything went out. I lost the instrument cluster and the starter wouldn't engage. The odd thing is that the power outlets that are wired direct to battery also went out. I pulled off to the side and tried wiggling wires etc. I also pulled the line fuze for the outlets. After several attempts and 10 minutes it came back to life and has been fine since. I'm afraid of this happening again. Any thoughts?

the battery terminals/cables were the only thing I didn't touch. couldn't get to them. besides, I had just had them off and tightened appropriately a few weeks and very few miles ago. It seemed that when I hit the starter the battery went off. I lost my trip meter and clock reset just like I had disconnected the battery. Very strange.

Dirty battery cables..take the battery out, make sure it's topped up, clean the terminals and cables....that would be the place I'd start....

Yep, what Slickster says... Take the battery down to Advance and have it tested.

Fuzzy

Have you been on the Road-star web sight(roadstarclinic.com)? They have a lot of good answers there.

I had similar problems on my 2000 Road-star also and went to the heavier gauge(I think original size was 6gauge and went to 4gauge) for BOTH + & - & solenoid cables. You can get aftermarket ones or you can make your own like I did. I also went with a Odyssey PC545 gel battery. Even with really cold weather(I ride mine till it snows) you can try to start but if it won't just hold starter button and it will. Has a great sort of deep cycle power storage(according to dealer)Haven't really no problems since!

Hope this helps

As others have already said, the most likely cause is the battery cables. Battery terminals often develop a hard glass-like coating on the lead surface that must be scraped with a knife to expose bright lead for a good connection (and the cable ends too). The problem can also be internal to the battery, but that does not often clear up after it starts.

Goose