IGNORED

Oil on Brake Pads?

Some engine oil got spattered onto the rear brake disc while riding. The rear brake is, as you can imagine, not grabbing it should be due to contact with oil.. Do Double H Sintered brake pads soak up oil and rendered useless or will it burn off after cleaning off the disc?

Trying to sort out if replacing the rear pads is specifically required because they came in contact with oil or can they be cleaned off with brake cleaner fluid?

Cheers

In my opinion...I would just change them. I do not think cleaning them with brake cleaner will help. I feel like the oil will soak into the media that carries the splinted metal in the pad. The only way I could think you might get that oil out is get them so hot the oil would burn out of the bad. If you get them that hot...the pad may separate from the metal backing.

Why take a chance on your brakes...change them out. You life is worth more than the cost of a rear set of pads I am sure.

Boy have I been through this lately!!

Fork problems...... don't ask.

From what I was dealing with when I caught it quick and got the pads cleaned up right away with brake cleaner they looked pretty good. On the ones I had to run on and they got soaked, they cleaned up well, but were still saturated. Nuttin is gonna get that out.

The ones that were sprayed and cleaned up right way,...... ran 'em for a few days and they worked fine.

But ....... I did replace all the pads on the bike after I got the forks resealed and made sure the seals would hold.

The "used & cleaned" pads went on the shelf as JIC parts.

So it depends on how badly they got oiled.

Good luck.

Ok thanks for the replies folks.. I'll be changing them out for sure..

We know where the oil came from and no worries, it's been resolved.. Was just wondering if the pads would soak up the oil or if all it required was a good cleaning etc

Cheers

I can't speak for motorcyles. But on cars I have cleaned break pads and had no problems. However I would only suggest doing this if you are broke or if the part is not available for a while. If you can afford it and the pads are available, I would put new ones on.

If you use "brake cleaner" like Flyinfool suggested, and a high pressure air hose 90-100 PSI, you can get those pads squeaky clean affter 2 -3 applications...

Buy new, if your worried about it. It's not like they are all that expensive in the first place... LOL

I have used brake cleaner to get oil off of brake pads many times. Clean the pads and rotor thoroughly with lots of brake cleaner.

BUT more important is to determine why they got oiled and fix that problem.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Looks like a resolution is determined for the pads. This thread got me thinking about the oil and how it ended up on the rear pads. Please share where the oil came from...(might be another thread).

forget where the oil came from.. that is not the issue (sheesh) it's been resolved and of no consequence.. look, shiny object over here..

The question was about oil on the pads.. not about where or how the oil came from etc..

degreased the pads and disc and ordered a new set of pads just to be happy campers..

Thanks to all..

Cheers =)