IGNORED

time for clutch upgrade

Looking for an earlier grab and firmer grip on take off. I cannot get used to my clutch engageing at neary full release. To completly dis-ingage I only need to pull about 1" on release lever. So I am looking for anything that will make it engage "earlier" and grip sooner. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10518 :confused24:

Edited by royalstar09

I have found nothing to move the friction zone. As long as your lines are bled, that's about all you can do. If you upgrade the spring you will have plenty of grip. When I had 2 springs in the clutch the friction zone became too narrow for me and the extra pull required on the lever bothered my hand. I have been looking for adjustable levers but have found none.

I just find it simply amazing that I can half pull the clutch lever and be totally released. This is the first bike I have owned that I am out on fingertips before it completly engages. I thought I could get used to it, but so far no go.

Kbran did the SkyDoc clutch mod on my 06 last year and really like the clutch performance....NO slippage whatsoever no matter how hard I hammer the throttle. There is no clutch adjustments for our Ventures....or so I am told.

Boomer.....who sez romping on 1st gear generally loses 1-2 pygmies and I'm cool with dat.....:whistling:

Kbran did the SkyDoc clutch mod on my 06 last year and really like the clutch performance....NO slippage whatsoever no matter how hard I hammer the throttle. There is no clutch adjustments for our Ventures....or so I am told.

Boomer.....who sez romping on 1st gear generally loses 1-2 pygmies and I'm cool with dat.....:whistling:

The sky-doc kit is showing being SOLD in classifieds?? :confused24: Id try it but does not look to be available.

The sky-doc kit is showing being SOLD in classifieds?? :confused24: Id try it but does not look to be available.

Send a PM here to SkyDoc....Earl is good people and he will take care of you....I think he made Don's MD so he may be on the road home as well.:cool10:

Boomer

Just my personal opinion here but while the PCW type clutch upgrade is fine, I installed the Barnett clutch conversion kit in 2004 and havent had any issues with it whatsoever. The Barnett kit is a true conversion from a flat diaphragm type spring to a pressure plate/coil spring type. Yes, it costs more but in my humble opinion I think its a better set-up. :smile5:

Just my personal opinion here but while the PCW type clutch upgrade is fine, I installed the Barnett clutch conversion kit in 2004 and havent had any issues with it whatsoever. The Barnett kit is a true conversion from a flat diaphragm type spring to a pressure plate/coil spring type. Yes, it costs more but in my humble opinion I think its a better set-up. :smile5:

I went to the website here http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/clutch_plates_springs.aspx?type=clutches_other&clutch_make=Yamaha&clutch_cc=1300 and I must not be finding it, but I cannot find out a price, where or how to order if I choose to??? It seems to be a application guide, not a place to order them :confused24:

did Skydocs upgrade on my buddies 99 . It worked great . Earl( skydoc) also answered my questions while i had teh bike apart.. WIth his help and the parts the job was a sinch.

I am beginning to notice some slipping on my clutch and I will be buying the pressure plate and upgrading to a full friction plate. I hope by nipping it in the bud I can avoid the cost of replacing all the friction disks.

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2: to Earl ( skydoc-17)

Having gone through BOTH the PCW and Barnett's clutch upgrades, I have to say that I much prefer the Barnett for several reasons.

The PCW upgrade recommends doing away with the 'half discs' which is not a problem, why use a half disc when a full one has more surface.. But what happens is that friction zone now becomes that much more smaller, out to the finger tips. For what it was worth, I found the PCW spring plate good enough with the OEM stack up..

Later, I got my hands on a Barnett's spring kit at a price I couldn't pass up as I wasn't happy with the friction zone feel of the PCW.. too narrow a zone.. With the Barnett's spring kit, I have a wider zone and feels more like stock, though needing a slightly stronger pull..

When I drop the hammer, its dropped..

There's nothing wrong with the PCW, for me it's just a preference thing, I simply like the Barnett's friction zone feel better..

Not to long ago i installed the Barnett pressure plate and used the same friction and steel plates must say i am now very happy with the results.A word of warning DO NOT be tempted to pull in the clutch lever until the pressure plate is sitting correctly and bolted down as this will bottom out the slave cylinder and you will never get the plate into the correct spot dont ask me how i know this.

99-10 YAMAHA RSV / RSTD

Clutch Rebuilt Kit

Required Yamaha OEM Parts List Your Cost

1 YA26H-16321-01-00 CL.PL. INNER FIBER 9.46 8.08

7 YA26H-16307-01-00 CLUTCH PLATE FIBER 9.46each 56.56

1 YA26H-16385-00-00 RING WIRE RETAINER 4.48 3.86

1 YA4NK-15462-00-00 GASKET COVER 3 CLUTCH 9.77 8.43

1 YA1FK-16334-00-00 SPRING, CLUTCH DIAPM. 75.72 65.58

KIT OF ALL THE ABOVE PARTS 165.65 142.51

KIT ABOVE BUT WITH THE BARNETT CLUTCH

SPRING CONVERSION KIT

(Add $35.00 for Super Duty Springs.)

LIST 184.95 YOURCOST 145.00 274.88 221.93

What should I get??? All of it seems to be a good price. But with 3K miles I doubt I need the clutch plate fibers. Opinions are warmly welcome.......