IGNORED

thinking...RSV vs RSTD vs Roadking 1700

islandmech

Well, I am kinda thinking about another bike. i love the 86 Venture and would keep it, but I found a NEW 08 RSTD near Seattle for $9800 {craigslist} at a dealer. I also found an 08 Road Star 1700 in Victoria with lots of extras for about the same price. Opinions on the Road Star? it is fuel inj, has belt drive {less mntc and no lash } How do they handle vs the RSTD or the RSV? I think they have less HP but lots of torque with the V-twin......Help!

Thanks, Gary

sorry, make the header read RoadStar 1700.......

a lot lighter and more nemble threw the turns but its air cooled,a lot hoter and the v-twin will shake you a lot. i was thinking of going back to the v-twin but after a demo ride i'll just keep the smooth v-4 and enjoy the road.the 1700s a good bike but a total differnt beast than the venture or the tour delux.

My son had a Roadstar Silverado a few years ago when I had my 99 RSV. We switched bikes one day while riding around Montgomery. After the RSV the Roadstar was so light and nimble it felt like a toy. But it had gazillions of footpounds of torque. Like was already said, it's not as smooth as the RSV engine and will heat you up in traffic and on hot days, But if you want lighter and more of a cruiser then it's a great bike.

I am now riding a Victory Cross Country which is a V twin. This bike does not shake and is very smooth. But it also puts off a little heat in traffic. But, oh the torque. I love the bike although there's no way I could ever spend as many hours straight in the saddle as I did on my Ventures. But I still love it.

I've posted this before but I have both and it's hard for me to choose between the two. For everyday riding to work I'm usually on the Roadie. I rode H-D's for 30 years. Believe me, when it comes to vibration it's much closer to a Royal Star than a Harley. Where Harley mirrors are useless at idle (and most other speeds), you can see clearly from a Roadie mirror. But $9800 for an '08 Road Star sounds about $2000 high.

I agree. I went back to a v-twin with my 03 roady because nothing feels or sounds like one. The roadstar is as good a cruiser as you can get and I have put many miles on mine, but you have to understand that it isn't a road sofa. It does have a little vibration, but nothing excessive and the ride is a little harsher than a full touring bike. As you can see from my pic, I added a fairing and have since added a mustang seat with backrest. As was also said, its not as fast, but has gobs of tourque. As long as you're over 45, you can put it in high gear and forget it. If you want the v-twin rumble, there's nothing better. I think mine puts the sound of harleys to shame. Just ask Skid and Yammer how they like riding behind me in tunnels.:bluesbrother:

thanks for the input... I will be riding both bikes and see what happens. I am suprised the dealer near Seattle has a NEW 08 RSTD.. he also has a new 08 Honda VTX1800 hmmm now thats torque! As far as price on the 08 RoadStar I think probably 8 to 8500 will buy it. The BMW dealer has it in trade.

Gary

I had a 07 Roadie before my venture. To me, it would depend on what type of riding you do. I loved my Roadie for short rides of say less then 300 or 400 miles. Around town its super. If you want to go on anything longer, the RSV can't be beat. If I currently could justify a second bike, wouldn't hesitate on another Roadie.

Since you are keeping your 86 I would seriously consider the RSTD.I have had 4 1st gens an RSTD and now a RSV and for me I loved the RSTD the most.Although I have visions of taking all these long trips I never seem to have time/money to do that but the RSTD let me do some pretty good jaunts (37000mi in 3 years) in comfort yet it was so nice for those rides to work and short 1 or 2 day rides.I loved my wife loved and I cried when I wrecked it. I now have an RSV and while I do enjoy all the electronics and Cynthia likes the trunk,we still miss the RSTD.

BTW I stilll have my 87 1st gen as well.

thanks for the input... I will be riding both bikes and see what happens. I am suprised the dealer near Seattle has a NEW 08 RSTD.. he also has a new 08 Honda VTX1800 hmmm now thats torque! As far as price on the 08 RoadStar I think probably 8 to 8500 will buy it. The BMW dealer has it in trade.

Gary

I bought my new 08 RSTD last year from a dealer in In. it was a left over gave $9900 for it. Also got full 5yr warr. unlimited miles. Bike is 14,000 new. Love my RSTD.

My 2 cents

Joe

Gary

Dealer over here has a new '09 RoadStar as well as a new '09 RSV

check out GA Checkpoint Yamaha

I am now riding a Victory Cross Country which is a V twin. This bike does not shake and is very smooth.

That's interesting as I test rode one a couple weeks back and that was the first thing I noticed... it had serious vibration when accelerating. Most noticeable in the seat. This was brand new... only 240 kilometers on it.

That's interesting as I test rode one a couple weeks back and that was the first thing I noticed... it had serious vibration when accelerating. Most noticeable in the seat. This was brand new... only 240 kilometers on it.

I took a long test ride on a new Victory and wasn't impressed with it either. I was very glad to get back on my 13 year old Valkyrie. I had thought that the Vic might be my new bike but changed my mind right fast. Maybe if one is used to riding a V-twin then it would be a good ride. The CC sure is nice looking though.

I agree. I went back to a v-twin with my 03 roady because nothing feels or sounds like one. The roadstar is as good a cruiser as you can get and I have put many miles on mine, but you have to understand that it isn't a road sofa. It does have a little vibration, but nothing excessive and the ride is a little harsher than a full touring bike. As you can see from my pic, I added a fairing and have since added a mustang seat with backrest. As was also said, its not as fast, but has gobs of tourque. As long as you're over 45, you can put it in high gear and forget it. If you want the v-twin rumble, there's nothing better. I think mine puts the sound of harleys to shame. Just ask Skid and Yammer how they like riding behind me in tunnels.:bluesbrother:

I keep waiting for the tunnel to start falling!!:rotfl: