It seems I have to remove the left fork cap and the remove the air line from the my class air compressor and use my shop air to blow the oil back into my forks as the class compressor doesnt have enough pressure to do this.

It turns out that if a bike goes on its side oil can fill the class hoses and disable the compressor.

So I need to know the size of the wrench needed to get that cap off. I know almost enough here to be dangerous, but I think I also need to make sure to get the bike on center stand and get weight off the front wheel. Is there anything else I need to know to pull this cap off?

Brian

I believe it is 17 mm. Most auto parts stores carry these as a single or sometimes as a set. I use a 1/2 inch breaker bar with an extension. Just ensure there is little to no air in the fork tubes before removing the cap.

On re-assembly clean the cap threads with some WD-40 or other light oil as these are extremely fine pitched threads and can gall very easily. Since you are disassemblying you should consider a set of progressive springs. I did this when I got the bike and I love the way it handles.

Recently, I also removed the anti-dive units and used Skydoc 17's block-off plates. Now coupled with the 15 wt fork oil I do not need to use the CLASS on the front at all. Even when riding a bit agressively I get very little dive and I am on the hefty size (240+). So your mileage may vary.

Also loosen the upper triple tree clamps.

Someone posted on here that that made a difference on loosening the fork caps.

Gary

Ok 'splain how this helps in removing the fork caps? Just curious as I have never done that and I have had zero problems getting the caps off. :confused24:

Unless this is an inside joke; which went right over my head. :confused07:

Edited by MikeZ06Allen
fat fingers typing

Ok 'splain how this helps in removing the fork caps? Just curious as I have never done that and I have had zero problems getting the caps off. :confused24:

Unless this is an inside joke; which went right over my head. :confused07:

The upper clamps squeeze the top of the fork tubes, resulting in more resistance for unthreading / threading the caps. Loosen the clamp bolts to remove the added resistance.