IGNORED

NY to Dragon

dalv

Hello All,

I know this has been done before but thought I would ask for some suggestions on my upcoming trip. I live near Albany NY (upstate) and plan on riding to Clarkesville Ga. to see my brothers new cabin in the woods.

Original plan was the wife was to ride along but she has gotten cold feet and is planning a trip to Detroit (??) to see our son. Soooo, a buddy may join me on his ElectraGlide but has not committed, I'm going solo if need be. After a long tough winter working on a new building in the Catskill Mts. I am in need of this ride!

So any suggestions are welcome - thinking of the Skyline / Blue Ridge (did that 30 yrs ago on our honeymoon in a cage) and the Cherohala, Dragon, etc. Gonna make the ride enjoyable both ways as I have 10 days or so. Plan on riding with my brother from his camp after arrival on day trips. Probably do the Dragon then as it is not far from his place.

One thing I am thinking of, is bringing a 2 man tent and bag to camp out a couple nights - never would have happened if the bride was along but I love it and can save a few bucks as well. Any good campgrounds on the way down or back is appreciated. Will take alternate route back so as to see as much new area as possible.

Departure date is in limbo pending close out of the project but in the range of June 10 - 15. Off from work until July 5 but have plans to get back to our camp on Lake Champlain for 4th weekend or before.

So fire away! I can't wait! :cool10::cool10::cool10:

I'm in Dahlonega, GA about 45 miles due west of Clarkesville. There are LOTS of very good roads in the area, particularly north and west of Clarkesville. A good loop would take you north to Moccasin Creek State Park, then Unicoi State park, Brasstown Bald and Richard-Russell Parkway, GA 160 to Suches, and lots of ways to go from there.

Give me a shout when you know your schedule, and we can ride together a day.

Hey Randy,

Thanks for the info - will try to get in touch with you as I get in the area. CHecked the map and see where you are - not far at all from my brothers place. He just got it in Dec and did a couple rides from his home Jacksonville Fl but I'm sure we would enjoy your local knowledge and company.

Look forward to meeting you.

Hey, I make a trek from Atlanta to the Adirondaks every summer and have traveled this route multiple times. To begin with your choice of Skyline and the BRP are tops! As well as the roads you mentioned. The best advice I can pass on is that the campgrounds on the BRP and Skyline are very good for campers. The amenities vary however the basics are covered well, they generally are not too crowded and the absolute best pricing. If off the BRP I would suggest searching out State Parks as these tend to follow the same conditions. Have triesd some private sampgrounds with varied results however most times the private sites (meaning commercial) are high on features however with the trade off of crowded sites as well as significantly higher prices. You can do a lot of research via the internet prior to your trip and that is time well invested. I always carry a GPS as well that can assist me with finding something if I find myself well into the day with out something already in hand. At times many of the campgrounds (public and private) will offer small rustic cabins as well, they are higher cost but offer better accomodations. Camping wise my best thoughts are to not bargain hunt here. With tents and sleeping gear you really do get what you pay for coupled with the fact that when your on the road NOTHING is more important than a good nights sleep. I found a wonderfull XL self inflating pad (2.5 inches thick inflated) and it works great. As far as tents go I have always like Eureka but they can get pricy. If online though be sure to check out their A and B production models. These are the regular tents however with some type of minor flaw. Though not structurally an issue it is usually cosmetic and thus of little importance. I try not to skimp on this part since I value the down time as much as the ride time. I also like to throw on a good collapsible chair for camp as well.

All right, nuff rambling for now. If you have any questions PM me and we can always trade numbers and talk on the phone as well. Look forward to hearing how your trip goes. I am already jealos as I have to wait for the end of August to make my trek.

All the best,

Norm

Hey Norm,

I can't wait as it gets closer. Finishing up a tough new construction job I ran all winter in the Catskills. Need the break from stress and recharge my battery. Planning on taking my time to "smell the roses" - no better place than the Blue Ridge. In the meantime, going to spend a couple days at Americade in Lake George. If you ever get a chance to head north in early June it is a fun time with lots of bikes. Lower key than some of the other bike rallies and beautiful setting. Only caveat is the weather can be iffy that time of year in the Adirondacks.

I have been searching the net and see some of the campgrounds on the parkway - look nice and reasonable cost as you mention. Hopefully I miss the crowds. Most important is quiet and shower facilities.

I am also looking at a couple reasonable tents and bags - sleeping pad is a definite and a cabin if the weather gets nasty. As you mentioned, good night sleep is important - although my wife will tell you I can sleep standing up! When it's time to snooze, I sleep like a rock.

I have a gps so that's covered and looking into a new smart phone. Main reason is I refuse to bring my company cell phone on the trip - no work related calls! Also looking at Tracfone just to have someway my wife can get a hold of me. The smart phones are great but costly and not sure I need it after the trip so signing up for a contract doesn't really make sense - that's where the Tracfone might be a cheap way out.

Thanks for the tips - hope to get a chance to talk with you.

Sounds like your well on your way, great. Yea I have contemplated the Americade thing just haven't put it on my schedule yet, maybe when I retire in the next few years I can wedge some trips like this in. As far as weather? Dude I grew up my first 21 years in Binghamton! Nuff said, in upstate weather is a crap shoot each and every day. The bright side of the coin is that good or bad weather that is some of the BEST country side I know of. All the best on your coming trip, maybe we hook up one day.

Binghamton :shock3: Well, I guess you can handle Lake George weather! I agree my area is great for scenery - especially north of Albany. After this winter I am seriously thinking of the south for at least the worst of it - Jan - March. Tough talking the wife into moving but maybe we can find a small place to get away from the ice as we near retirement. Still love the Adirondacks in the summer. Heading up tomorrow with the RSV for Memorial Day weekend and uncover the boat. Season is delayed up here as Lake Champlain is 3' above flood stage and the marina is under water. Crazy but there is too much water for a boat!

Re: phone - finding Droid with Virgin prepay might work for me. Found some talk on the net that they have the cheapest plan @ $25/month no contract. Will be looking into that some more and if it pans out will have internet access on the ride. Would be cool to post on my adventure from the road.

Thanks to both of you guys and hope to ride with you (or am I supposed to say " y'all :)) someday. Keep the rubber side down and have a great Memorial Day.