IGNORED

Rick Butler's Seat Modification

Roadhand

Just wanted to say, I took my seat to Rick Butler yesterday and he performed his mods to my new seat. Very satisfied with the quality of Rick's work.

He has made this improvement to both my Venture pillow top & this GW seat.

Almost :biker: ready for Cody....

I got mine back yesterday Jim and the initial thought is it is much better on the tailbone. BTW mine was the first GL1800 with heated seats that he has done and all is working A OK. Heated seats on the Wing are $60.00 not $40.00 as in standard seat.(Alot more trouble removing and reinstalling heating elements) Not complaining,just a FYI. I am Satisfied!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guys,

It was my pleasure to help you out with your seats.

And I never thought I'd get a look under the covers of a GL1800, but about 3 years ago a friend let me rework his so I could see how it was built. And frankly, I think the GL1800 seat is probably the best oem seats on the market, but like all seats it still has some issues.

What I found was the center of the driver seat is flat as a table without any padding (unlike the passenger). So like the rest of my seats, I first cut some curvature into the bottom of the seat foundation with a little bit of slant to the rear with my tailbone relief. I also take some of the front edge of the wings to let you get your feet to the ground easier. Then I cover the entire seat with a layer of 1 1/2" 3lb memory foam before stappling the cover back on. And just recently I got the chance to look into a heated GL seat and it ended up being very workable.....just more time consuming of carefully removing the element layer, reworking the seat and gluing the element layer back to the foundation foam before putting the cover back on.

About a month ago I did a couple of GLs for someone who had heard about me locally. Then after I did thier seats, they put out the word on me on the GL1800 Forum and then I really got busy. But a seat is a seat as long as there are needy riders, especially VentureRiders, right?

I guess I need to work up a GL seat ad for our friends who switched to luxury touring :) and need help with their seats?

Glad I can help,

Rick

Thanks Guys,

It was my pleasure to help you out with your seats.

And I never thought I'd get a look under the covers of a GL1800, but about 3 years ago a friend let me rework his so I could see how it was built. And frankly, I think the GL1800 seat is probably the best oem seats on the market, but like all seats it still has some issues.

What I found was the center of the driver seat is flat as a table without any padding (unlike the passenger). So like the rest of my seats, I first cut some curvature into the bottom of the seat foundation with a little bit of slant to the rear with my tailbone relief. I also take some of the front edge of the wings to let you get your feet to the ground easier. Then I cover the entire seat with a layer of 1 1/2" 3lb memory foam before stappling the cover back on. And just recently I got the chance to look into a heated GL seat and it ended up being very workable.....just more time consuming of carefully removing the element layer, reworking the seat and gluing the element layer back to the foundation foam before putting the cover back on.

About a month ago I did a couple of GLs for someone who had heard about me locally. Then after I did thier seats, they put out the word on me on the GL1800 Forum and then I really got busy. But a seat is a seat as long as there are needy riders, especially VentureRiders, right?

I guess I need to work up a GL seat ad for our friends who switched to luxury touring :) and need help with their seats?

Glad I can help,

Rick

Again,Thanks Rick..Ive already sent a few from the GL1800 site and so far they are happy.