IGNORED

maybe time to let her go?

oldgoat

well as some know i have been trying to trace down what was a small pesky leak. thought i had it figured out. some donated parts from dingy have been sent out to me (thanks gary for the thought) well today a friend of mine who is a car mechanic and i decided to check it out we pulled it out of the storage unit and fired it up waiting for the warm up as it wouldnt leak until warmed? we got down to shine a light up there when we heard a loud pop hot anitfreeze hit both of us i got some small burns on my arm same with him. looks like the radiator blew? at least i hope thats it and not a head gasket or the engine. she was still running though after the loud pop and antifreeze all over front of the engine. im now sad and angry .. angry as i used to be able to do work on smaller bikes. sad that i just cant keep going with this being dissabled and low on $$$ makes it a every day struggle i realy want to be out there and ride. maybe when the title comes in for the bike someone here might make a fair offer on the old girl? i know that most here have the experience to put the old girl together and maybe the $$ to do it.

well time for some southern comfort and a hankie to drown my sorrows and dry my tears...

i agree with you on that sure beats payments but gee what some pepole put on things to hold then together will freak you out. lets see i have 2 rounded off screws that holds the shroud on and the right lower so drill time? try to get the heads of them off. there are regular allen and phiilips where just phillips should be. zip ties where a bolt should be but thank god the threads are there and i will put the right bolt screw or what ever belongs there? so what i thought might be a 2 to 3 hour job to pull it apart looks like a all day job if i can find someone with a cordless drill to remove them rounded off screws LOL i think the job will go like this drill out a screw drink a beer drill out another screw go pee and drink another beer. that will get the shroud off then get down look over the other bolts screws zip ties and decide to have another beer while going hmm should be easy but mostly like something will go wrong. so cuss a few time get to the ones that will come lose easy then drink another beer. go pee take a short nap in the car as the beer is starting to take affect. wake up wonder what i was doing? theng et back at it again. get it all apart call it a day wait for the parts to come in from some of the greates pepole here.. then it should go back together easier when i get the right bolts screws nuts and what ever then go get some souther comfort and look at it and go next mont or so i ride....

we got down to shine a light up there when we heard a loud pop hot anitfreeze hit both of us i got some small burns on my arm same with him. looks like the radiator blew?

Did you have the radiator cap off before?, real tough to get back on correctly, and if it was loose-could be the pop! Could be as simple as getting the cap back on correctly :) Same goes for the cylinder side plugs, dont run it with side covers off-thats all that holds the rubber plugs in

dont give up yet

Edited by bkuhr
more info

i agree with you on that sure beats payments but gee what some pepole put on things to hold then together will freak you out. lets see i have 2 rounded off screws that holds the shroud on and the right lower so drill time? try to get the heads of them off. there are regular allen and phiilips where just phillips should be. zip ties where a bolt should be but thank god the threads are there and i will put the right bolt screw or what ever belongs there? so what i thought might be a 2 to 3 hour job to pull it apart looks like a all day job if i can find someone with a cordless drill to remove them rounded off screws LOL i think the job will go like this drill out a screw drink a beer drill out another screw go pee and drink another beer. that will get the shroud off then get down look over the other bolts screws zip ties and decide to have another beer while going hmm should be easy but mostly like something will go wrong. so cuss a few time get to the ones that will come lose easy then drink another beer. go pee take a short nap in the car as the beer is starting to take affect. wake up wonder what i was doing? theng et back at it again. get it all apart call it a day wait for the parts to come in from some of the greates pepole here.. then it should go back together easier when i get the right bolts screws nuts and what ever then go get some souther comfort and look at it and go next mont or so i ride....

...................and have a pee!!!!!

im still working on it i did get the stripped screws out and radiator shroud off. now i went and sprayed every nut and bolt before i attempt to remove it. something about 27 year old rusted nuts and bolts scare me. i did not even attempt to turn them. i got some spray from a friend who called it monkey pi$$ ?? he said soak them for a day try a socket to see if they budge spray again soak over night and he said them bolts should turn easy. also said start with a short ratchet before trying a larger one he said he seen to many pepole get in a hurry use the mighty ratchet and a pipe and then go awww sh##.

time consumming project this is . i did notice that one of the hoses was swollen? right hand side faceing the bike. this might have blew? im praying for something simple. but skydoc has my back if he dont sell that radiator before i get a chance at it.

every nut and bolt and screw i pull off this is being replaced with new. the shroud ones that hold the side covers can there be a way to find a acorn type headed screw this way i could use a socket instead of a screw driver and it would look kind of cool?

anyways its pouring down rain here at the storage unit so going to put lap top away and head for the home land..

ok annie i had a peee :rotf: now i got the radiator off. found the major problem.

i will try and explain this as im sure just about 99.9% know what im talking about. after i pulled the radiator off. i saw that the hose going from the sensor unit to the top of the engine was shot. yep thats where she blew the hose. now the radiator looks verry clean no rust inside a few dings in a few fins no holes. ok it looks like new hoses maybe all around? and i think the sensor was not working as PO put in a switch to turn the fan on. now i forgot about this switch while warming it up to see where what i thought was a pesky small leak. now this looks like it wont be hard to put back together? let me tell you proper tools and take your time works well. and im feeling prety good that some of my skills and doing things are comming back slowly. now here is another question what the heck is with this plastic rubber thing on top of the engine? and is it a needed part. it sits over the head in the way of that hose on top of the engine. well i just saw its pretty much shot and was just held on with hope and a prayer . can it remain off?

and now a big shout out where DO I FIND THESE HOSES??? :fingers-crossed-emo

By the "Black Plastic Thing" on top of the engine, do you mean the air deflector? It snaps on over the valve cover bolts. I did away with mine, but that is me.

The long hoses that go back to the motor are expensive You almost have to use the official hoses due to the sharp bends in them. I was going to replace mine and the hose started to kink at the bend over the rear head. I had new heater hose I was trying.

If it is just the short hose that goes back to the connection point on the right side from the radiator there is another option. Take the hose to your local auto parts store and see if they can match it up with one they have hanging on wall. You are looking for the correct bends and diameter. You can cut the length out of a longer hose. I found one I could get the top & bottom short hoses coming out of the radiator. Cost around $12. I have no idea what the hose fit. Doesn't matter what it is for as long as bends match up.

Gary

yes gary thats the part the air deflector a royal pain in the butt. as for the hose its the one that goes to front head? damn i need to get my camera back from the great niece. that would sure help explain things i did see hoses on fleabay. for any where from $15 to someone who thinks theres are made of gold and wants $95 for 27 year old hoses. he also has a radiator for are you ready for this.$995.95.. with free shipping:rotf::rotf::rotf: oh by the way your frost plugs came in today and thanks so much for them they look verry useable. you know this venture never realy let me down when it comes to being close to home. it either gets home or wont let me leave home. and no one realy wants to be working on there bike when they want to ride. but the joy of saving$$$ by doing it your self sure puts a smile on a persons face i may be slow. but i will get it there.

• 1 year later...
Best penetrant I EVER used...a 50/50 mix of acetone & automatic transmission fluid!

I saw a test on loosening rusted bolts online that indicated the torque needed to break them loose, and it also said this was the best by a longshot. It also said that you could mix ATF 50/50 with lacquer thinner and get the same results if you didn't want to use acetone.

The next best penetrant was Kroil, then Liquid wrench. PB Blaster was only slightly better than WD-40.

However, I do wonder if for some applications things come out different. I was getting my old Dodge Ramcharger painted, and wanted to pull off the trim. Some of the tailgate trim bolts wouldn't budge, so I soaked them with Kroil for a couple of days, but they still wouldn't loosen. A guy at work suggested PB Blaster, so I picked up a can and sprayed it. I let it sit overnight, and the next morning it loosened up easily. One of the mysteries of life, or did the Kroil finally do it's job? Did the solvent in PB Blaster let the Kroil sink into the threads?