IGNORED

Copper crush washer alternate source for brakes, 1st & 2nd gens

I just bought a pack of 25, 10mm copper crush washers from McMaster Carr. Cost was $7.61 + $4.39 shipping, total of $12.00. McMaster P/N is 97725A200 for 25.

If you are going to do brake work and remove the lines, these should be replaced.

The items I received looked identical to what is used on bike.

I counted 23 of these washers on my 1st gen.

The price at partshark.com was $1.38 each + shipping. Total for 23 would be $31.74 before shipping cost

Part # is WASHER,PLATE - 90201-10118-00

Same part # is used on 1st & 2nd gens.

:mo money:

Gary

Edited by dingy

Very good Gary!!! Myself I resanded all of mine to make sure they would reseat but I would have preferred replacing them. When I got the new SS brake lines there was new crush washers with them but they were aluminum not copper but hey, as long as the material is softer it's gonna do what it is suppose to do...

DOH!

I get stuff from McMaster all the time but never thought of that one.

Thanks.

Yep, me too. That's one of the things that really bugged me was the price all the MC dealers charged for those things. Tried Honda and they're just a bad as Y.... Gonna order some. Maybe 50?? :)

Just ordered 50 of them... Hey I have 6 bikes... :big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by Condor

Oh boy, WHAT a find! It really did pain me to have to drop the extra moolah at the stealer for these when I rebuilt my calipers. I have been dreading having to do it again when I rebuild my front master cylinder and replace my lines...

Good stuff.

What a group we have here!

The old ones can be re-used, but you should anneal them first, which is really easy.

Heat them with a gas torch until they glow red.

Drop them into cold water, and you are done.

You just returned "work hardened copper" to it's original soft state, and they will seal just fine.

McMaster is a great place for those hard to find hardware items. I have pruchased lots of things from them.

Stainless bolts

shift and brake pedal bushings

oil seals

radio knobs

stainless tubing

rubber trim

and much more

Good one Gary. We should have a place to keep finds like this. Along with other ones like thermostate that I can think of right now and there are some wheel bearing replacements that are a lot cheaper I think. I once read something about making exhaust gaskets out of something and can't find that one now but the cost of those things for what they areis crazy. Just saying there are a lot of things that would save u a few bucks if we could keep track of them.

Edited by Yammer Dan