IGNORED

my 08 has no acceleration in 4th or 5th

:detective:

HI Guys just bought a 08 venture 40,000k PROBLEM is during acceleration or going up hills in cruise it stumbles vibrates and chugs in 4 or 5th 80- 100k/when i crack the throttle with out going to 3rd not much power! Sounds and feels terrible vibration is this carb syncing???I have bubs which i repacked sounds wicked thanks for reading this ANY help would be great! thanks RUSSLightwing

AT 80 to 100 kph (48 to 60 Mph) if you crack the throttle it is going to lug the engine down, these V-4s like to have the RPMs up, at those speeds the RPMS are to low to do any serious acceleration. I normally stay out of 4th below 60 MPH (100 kph)try not to hit 5th until somewhere around 70 MPH (117 kph). This bike will do 90 MPH (150 kph) in third gear brfore you get into the rev limiter. Keep the RPMs up and will not have any issues.

Do not misunderstand me, you can motor down the road in 4th or 5th at those speeds, but you cannot accelerate quickly from those speeds in those gears.

Tyr keeping the RPMs up, you like it a lot.

:sign yeah that:

Yep, these V-4's love their revs. They really come alive after 4,500 rpms. If you have come from a V twin it's a whole new riding experience. And they will run all day like that!

I rarely hit 5th on the Interstate until I reach 65 or 70 mph.

Wind it up and enjoy the ride.

Mike

rev'em hi, my friends always say i'm gonna blow that thing up cause i don't shift till it really needs it. plus it has that psuedo v-8 sound to it, not the chugga chugga tractor sound. flying past 90 mph when leaving 3rd.....love it.

haha i need a tach then NO idea what it is suposed to sound like or what revs i'm in wow thanks guys

Just go by the mph/kph as stated. Soon you will not need a tack.

By the way, since you have an on 08, most likely the PO did not remove the rev limiter.

Like some one said go into third gear and run it wide open, about 90mph all of sudden it will start missing, rev limiter kicked in.

Yep. Just run it into the rev limiter a few times. Then start shifting just before it hits. Just hold it wide open in first till it falls flat when the ignition cuts out. Then second. Than third if you dare. I have not been able to hit in in fourth, even with the speedo pegged.

It will not hurt the bike.

Yep. Just run it into the rev limiter a few times. Then start shifting just before it hits. Just hold it wide open in first till it falls flat when the ignition cuts out. Then second. Than third if you dare. I have not been able to hit in in fourth, even with the speedo pegged.

It will not hurt the bike.

then you are not hanging around riderduke and I enough, maybe we need to let Kitty operate the machine more :stirthepot: :stirthepot::rasberry::rotf::rotf:

Now that all the speed demons here have spoken....:bikersmilie:.....if its still doing that powerless 4th to 5th gear thing then maybe a good carb sync is in order. Dump a 1/2 can of seafoam into your full tank, take a good ride to run it through then have it synched. I had this same issue too until the bike was also Colortuned. This is a true carb adjustment which reads the color of the flame in the combustion chamber. Since yours is an 08 and is still under warranty maybe thats not a good idea since the carb adjustment screws have a tamper proof cover on them. Dealer might not like them being tampered with.

Remember that 5th gear is an overdrive. :smile5:

I had the same issue and it didn't have a bunch of power and would vibrate when trying to accelarate at 55 mph or so in 5th. I followed what everyone said a run the rpms up higher and at some point it would smooth out. I still felt it wasn't running like it was suppose to so started looking for things done all the hot/cold pipes thing and new plugs and filters but still the same. I thien pulled the tank off and started looking for things and low and behold found the problem. One of the tubes that goes from the air box under the tank had come loose from the top of the carb just enough to mess things up. I cleaned the area and reclamped it back together and man did it change the way it ran. I now need to sync the carbs and I believe it will be back to normal.

Also shouldn't yours still have warranty left since it is an 08

Good Luck

Rick

:detective:Where is there a MANUAL?WEEEELLLLL I SAW IT IN kijiji in New brunswick 1500k away bombed down there me and a buddy nonstop with a trailer behind my beloved rav 4 5 speed picked it up in the trailer and bombed home left thurs morning got home sat morn what ablast so Have no idea how to get service yet? or where yes it has warranty for 2 years HMMMM will look around NEver let any body touch my Vulcan cept for tires and they screwed that up a couple of times lolol DID my on rebuild last winter yesss Where is there a MANUAL?

You can download the owner's manual for free from Yamahaha's web site.

But in regards to your poor acceleration issue, be warned that you absolutely CANNOT ride that bike like a big twn, nor can you believe the shift points in the manual. Here is something I posted in a different thread on a similar complaint:

You CANNOT hurt this bike by revving it. Period. The stock rev limiter is at 6,000 RPM, and the actual red line for the engine is easily around 8,000. So even if you run it to the rev limiter every time in every gear (neither recommended nor necessary), you have nothing to worry about. But like I said above, you really do need to run it up there a couple of times to understand how different you should be riding this bike.

Most of the power in this engine is above 3,000 RPM. Just going from memory, 3,000 RPM is around 70 MPH in 5th (that is why you cannot roll on the throttle hard at 55 in 5th). You CAN ride it all day long in 5th gear anywhere from 40 MPH to 120 MPH, just do not try to accelerate too fast in 5th gear unless you are running over 65.

Shifting points - the owner's manual has suggested shifting points in it - but DO NOT EVER try to use them. I have no idea what drugged out fool wrote those down, but this bike CANNOT be ridden in any reasonable fashion with the shift points shown in the owner's manual!

For MODERATE acceleration, here are some good shift points to shift INTO the next gear:

40 MPH => 3rd gear

50 MPH => 4th gear

60 MPH => 5th gear

Of course, it is fine to upshift sooner if you are done accelerating (or are simply going to keep pace with the usual city traffic). And if you are accelerating hard, you should run it much higher in each gear than those points I gave you above. Remember, 3rd gear will take you all the way to 96 MPH before you hit the rev limiter at 6,000 RPM, so there is no reason to shift into 4th at 50 MPH if you are trying to move out quickly!

Goose

Its very easy to under ride the bike when riding with harley guys.

I ride witha few in a harley owners group and they hate when i rev so high. So i generally try to shift when they do and my bike just lags or in this case lugs behind.

i finnaly told them my bike has 2 more cylinders and it like to use them.

So now Im stiull in first as they are shifting from 2nd to third.

Are you comming from the harley side or maybe riding with lesser cyl bikes. Ride her hard. She wont get upset and youll know she likes it.LOL

Had a Nomad before I went to the Venture. Totally different machines. But you'll love winding it out in 2nd to about 45 mph then especially in 3rd. When you hit 90 mph in 3rd and shift you will have left almost every other bike way back somewhere. If you can't beat them in third your probably not gonna. When you hit the rev limit it will sputter and the oil light will flash.