IGNORED

Classifieds...NOW time for opinions

Freebird

Yesterday I made a change to the classifieds. People that post in the classifieds have long complained that many of you never check the classifieds. I don't really agree with that but that is the perception. So what I have done is change it so that when an ad is posted in the classifieds, a link to it is automatically posted in the "Links to Classifieds" folder. Once an ad is posted, the link is automatically added within about 10 minutes.

Hopefully this will work well and the ads will get more exposure.

Now the initial responses to this change were mostly negative. I THINK that was because when I first made the change, links were made for all the existing ads and the entire home page of "new posts" and the new post button brought up nothing but classifieds. It completely buried all the other new posts that people like to read.

Now that the initial import is over, the automatic posts will only be made as new classifieds are added. That is usually only 2-4 times a day and some days none at all so there shouldn't be a flood of posts like there was when I first did it.

Sooooooooo.......based on this information regarding how it should work from now on, do most of you like it or not? I also want to hear again from those of you who posted in the polls area that you did NOT like it. Does this change your mind or do you still not like it?

If everybody REALLY hates it...then just let me say that it was BradT's idea. If you like it, I don't mind taking full credit. :whistling:

Whatever you feel is best, didn't like it when I first saw it but understand from now on its only when ad is first summited. I can handle that, it could help if someone is looking for a certain item now if its posted they'll see it and not miss it.

I figured that's what was going on when you first made the change. I didn't like that!

Now that it has simmered down I'm okay with the change. :thumbsup2:

The only thing I don't care for is that, at present, I would only be interested in the classifieds for "for sale 2nd Gens." but I can just look at the posts I want and not look at the ones I don't want.

Thanks Don, you busy little beaver you!!

I think it's ok now... went from 4 to six or pages... can live with that.

Initially it was overwhelmed with ads and I didn't like the thought of having to wade through that every day. But as it is currently is, it's acceptable... should satisfy both parties.

Good Job!

progress.gif

I figured that's what was going on when you first made the change. I didn't like that!

Now that it has simmered down I'm okay with the change. :thumbsup2:

The only thing I don't care for is that, at present, I would only be interested in the classifieds for "for sale 2nd Gens." but I can just look at the posts I want and not look at the ones I don't want.

Thanks Don, you busy little beaver you!!

Yes, but you can always use the classifieds like you always did. Just go there and look the sections that you want to. This will hopefully be the best of both worlds.

For those that abosuletly just DON'T WANT to see anything in the "Links to Classifieds" show up when they click on the New Posts button, they can go to their profile, edit options, and exclude that forum. They will still show up on the home page though.

I think it is fine because all I had to do was go into the User CP Edit Options and Exclude that links forum from the Get New Posts search, just like I do for all the other frivolous forums.

But on a relates subject,

why doesn't the Honda Refrigerator tech forum show up in the Exclude list????

Goose

The only problem I have now is that I need to scan all the ads. Before I just clicked the link for 2nd Gen Parts or whatever I am looking for. I'm sure others will like the one stop shopping.

No, you can still do it exactly they way you did before if that is how you prefer.

I also want to hear again from those of you who posted in the polls area that you did NOT like it. Does this change your mind or do you still not like it?

Yes, my mind is changed. Also like the "VR Classifieds" name in the thread title. Good work!

Don - I think it's just fine - when it first showed up, I thought I was in trouble again especially after getting a light spanking for my gibberish about 'you know what' that is now in the classifieds.

I think a notification is just great - some people need a nudge to spend some money and a notice of something new is a GOOD thing.