IGNORED

I broke my rear brake master cylinder...help?

So as it says I broke my rear master cylinder resevoir just like cja jacobs did. Does anyone know where I can get one or even better does anyone have one? I am just getting into riding and have only had the bike a couple of months, but right as I get my license it breaks. Thanks for the help.:fingers-crossed-emo

Okay, Brian,

First things first.....Welcome to the site!

Secondly the more information you give gets more information back. In other words, what kind of bike is bolted to your master cylinder. Which one is it? Front or rear? What year is the bike? How did you break it? Then after you provide us with that info, someone will be able to help ya.

Again welcome to the site and good luck!

Okay, I looked up your profile and you have an 83 Venture, so that's one step closer

Welcome to the group! I am sure you will find this group an informative and fun place about your Venture.

I would try Pinwall's ebay store if youre in a hurry as they usually have venture parts for buy it now option. http://stores.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc/Yamaha-Venture-1983-1993-/_i.html?_fsub=4&_sid=12458664&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Or for a new part you could try www.partshark.com and look up your part in their OEM parts fiche section. http://www.partshark.com/custompage.asp?pg=yamahaparts

Another option might be to drop skydoc in here a msg as he rebuilds some calipers and may be able to help you out.

brian

Okay, Brian,

First things first.....Welcome to the site!

Secondly the more information you give gets more information back. In other words, what kind of bike is bolted to your master cylinder. Which one is it? Front or rear? What year is the bike? How did you break it? Then after you provide us with that info, someone will be able to help ya.

Again welcome to the site and good luck!

Okay, I looked up your profile and you have an 83 Venture, so that's one step closer

OK Zane, We are narrowing this down.

Since he said he broke his rear master reservoir, I think that eliminates the front master reservoir !

:rotfl:

But, alas I don't have one. I sold the spare to someone in a similar predicament. Seems the mounting on the reservoir is only one bolt. They seem easy to damage.

I think that a VMax reservoir could be made to work if you can't find a Venture unit.

Gary

Since he said he broke his rear master reservoir, I think that eliminates the front master reservoir !

But, alas I don't have one. I sold the spare to someone in a similar predicament. Seems the mounting on the reservoir is only one bolt. They seem easy to damage.

I think that a VMax reservoir could be made to work if you can't find a Venture unit.

Gary

I didn't think the Vmax had linked brakes. If the Vmax is not linked, and the rear master will fit my VR, I might have a 1985 VR rear master to trade!

I didn't think the Vmax had linked brakes. If the Vmax is not linked, and the rear master will fit my VR, I might have a 1985 VR rear master to trade!

The VMax doesn't have linked brakes.

He needs the reservoir, not the master cylinder. The VMax master cylinder is different. I am not sure if the VMax has the level indicator in it. But that could be bypassed, as long as it was checked once in a while. And I think VMax is somewhat clear plastic. So the level could be seen.

Brian, that's what he needs, I am fairly sure.

Gary

BrianB,

I see by your other post you have a bunch of typical problems on your 28 year old bike.

Read the tech articles and familiarize yourself with how things work, Then ask questions. The members here have seen and done it all and are very willing to help!

The reason I reposted here is when you get the new master reservoir I am sending you, is to make you aware that, in stock configuration, the rear brake is linked to the left front brake, as well as antidive unit. Special procedure for bleeding, and options for delinking.

Here a link to get you to the manuals. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3384

download service and parts manual and keep on your computer for reference

So, will a Vmax rear master bolt-on and work on my 1st Gen?

I don't know if the bolt pattern is the same.

MKI rear master is 15.87mm bore.

MKII rear master is 17.46mm bore.

VMax is 12.7mm bore.

I think you would be better of with the MKII, if you went to MKII rear caliper.

If you want more pressure, then the smaller bore is the way to go.

I think the stock VMaxs have dual piston calipers on rear, but not positive.

Gary

I don't know if the bolt pattern is the same.

MKI rear master is 15.87mm bore.

MKII rear master is 17.46mm bore.

VMax is 12.7mm bore.

I think you would be better of with the MKII, if you went to MKII rear caliper.

If you want more pressure, then the smaller bore is the way to go.

I think the stock VMaxs have dual piston calipers on rear, but not positive.

Gary

I'm not sure I see the potential improvements converting to MKII brakes. My MKI front brakes are 298mm versus 282mm on the MKII. My rear brake is 298mm (same as Vmax) versus 320mm on the MKII. With 80% of my stopping power on the front brakes, I already have the bigger rotors. And, the increase in the rear rotor size offers minimal improvement due to the 20% need of that brake. It would seem to me the improvements that I want are going to be with the master cylinders producing more pressure. Thus my question about the Vmax rear master.

Gary

Ooop's! Sorry about that! Missed that one! But ain't the first time missin' something!:whistling:

That's what I like about this place, there's always someone smarter than me! Helps to keep ya humble!

Thanks Gary!

Edited by Zane

when you get your "new one" take the time to soak it in pbblaster and carefully work the fill plug so you dont bust the new one. I also add a dab of anti-sieze to the plug threads and the head so that it will not freeze in place like my old one that caused mine ot break in the first place.

Why yamaha made them out of potmetal instead of a thick aluminum I'll never know. but they were designed to break easily.

Thanks man for the part, I had to retap the hold and work the fill screw but it is now in the bike and the brakes are workin better than ever. Got me back on the road and another light off of the dash. Two more to go :fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks man for the part, I had to retap the hold and work the fill screw but it is now in the bike and the brakes are workin better than ever. Got me back on the road and another light off of the dash. Two more to go :fingers-crossed-emo

glad it worked out:thumbsup: