IGNORED

Valley of the Gods Road, Utah

Guest Swifty

Guest Swifty

Who has good knowledge of the Valley of the Gods Road off Hwy 261 in Utah?

It's a short stretch, about 25kms, gravel...is it worth it?

I have read this thread http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28495

and would like to see the switch backs there too, but I don't want to take another stretch of gravel if it isn't worth it compared to what I'll already be seeing.

• 1 year later...

I don't know the Valley of the Gods road but there are othes here who have ridden it.

As to the Moqui Dugway ( the switchbacks you refer to) I have ridden it both ways with no problem.The straights are gravel but the turns have been paved.If you are coming from Natural Bridges it looks like you are riding off the edge of the world and if Coming from Mexican Hat like you will ride right into the side of the mountain.It was made and used in the 40s/50s to haul Uranium out of the area.You can stop at one of the look out points and see the remains of a couple of trucks that went over the side in the old days. Don't worry.If going down just take it easy and watch the front brake.If going up just take it easy.I have ridden it both ways on a VR and an RSTD with no problem.

In Mexican Hat there is a Hotel/Restaurant sitting on the river that has the best Navajo Tacos you will ever eat.Stop there for lunch.I don't remember the name but will get it for you.

This is a spectular place to visit with so much to see and do you can rapidly reach overload.

Take your time enjoy the area and stop often.

Just noticed the orginal date on this thread,I guess trip already happened?

Edited by Pegasus1300