IGNORED

Motorcycle Shipping Options FL to NH

RSTDdog

Planning a trip to New England in mid July and want to take the bikes. Not interested in riding there from Florida ( the wife certainly isn't) plus prefer to maximize time in New England area. Have looked into the Amtrak Autotrain, but that is getting expensive with a sleeper room for our dates to the point that airfare and MC shipping would/may be close the same money. Plus with the Amtrak still need to drive the bike from DC to NH (and Back).

Anyone here shipped their bikes from Florida to NE or thereabouts or can otherwise recommend a good MC shipping company? Would be shipping two bikes there and back, my RSTD and my buddy's LC1500.

Thank You in Advance,

Derrek

rstddog

Interested in the same thing. Planning a trip from Alabama to Az in spring then Alabama to Mass. in the fall.

I figure the difference in fuel cost for me to trailer the bikes with my truck vs driving my wife's car is about $820 for the trip out west and $650 for the trip to Mass. figured at $4.00 per gallon.

Doubt that would cover cost of shipping but something to think about.

Of course if I could convince the better half not to tow but to ride the bikes out I could reduce the cost about $600.

Just don't think she could pack 3 weeks worth on a bike.

Any other shippers we might look at?

Interested in the same thing. Planning a trip from Alabama to Az in spring then Alabama to Mass. in the fall.

I figure the difference in fuel cost for me to trailer the bikes with my truck vs driving my wife's car is about $820 for the trip out west and $650 for the trip to Mass. figured at $4.00 per gallon.

Doubt that would cover cost of shipping but something to think about.

Of course if I could convince the better half not to tow but to ride the bikes out I could reduce the cost about $600.

Just don't think she could pack 3 weeks worth on a bike.

Any other shippers we might look at?

If the only reason is her clothing and stuff, just arrange for your hotels to receive your parcels from home, so you can pick up on your way thru, and then ship your old laundry and new purchases back home. On a long trip maybe stopping to buy new undies and sox along the way is better than packing it along....

Brian

If the only reason is her clothing and stuff, just arrange for your hotels to receive your parcels from home, so you can pick up on your way thru, and then ship your old laundry and new purchases back home. On a long trip maybe stopping to buy new undies and sox along the way is better than packing it along....

Brian

Well it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. We are staying at our timeshares which have laundry in each unit. We could ship our things ahead.

The real problem would be getting her to take a 4000 - 5000 mile, trip on her HD Fatboy. Its a great riding bike but not something I would want to spend that much time in the saddle on.

She has done a few 700 mile days on the back of my ST 1300 when I had it and was fine but not back to back to back. It had a very room back seat she could move around on and a nice back rest.

Well it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. We are staying at our timeshares which have laundry in each unit. We could ship our things ahead.

The real problem would be getting her to take a 4000 - 5000 mile, trip on her HD Fatboy. Its a great riding bike but not something I would want to spend that much time in the saddle on.

She has done a few 700 mile days on the back of my ST 1300 when I had it and was fine but not back to back to back. It had a very room back seat she could move around on and a nice back rest.

Sounds like its tiime to take her shopping for a new bike then, or just rent something for her for a couple of weeks.:mo money::smile5:

Brian

Here is another option, and one I am currently looking at to get my bike up north. The name of the business is "Fuzzy Bottom" and he hauls boats from S Florida to Cape Cod, I need to talk to him this week about hauling my bosses 34' Venture, kinda funny the boat is called a Venture, up the coast and he hauls bikes in the back of his truck. A good friend has used him many times to haul his bikes without a problem. His number is 508 353-6559, and he is supposed to be pretty resonable in his prices.

Sounds like its tiime to take her shopping for a new bike then, or just rent something for her for a couple of weeks.:mo money::smile5:

Brian

Like maybe a Goldwing or Venture maybe?:big-grin-emoticon:

Seriously though she is on the smallish side, I have had to mod the Fatboy with Heritage bars, a pull back, and a low rider seat so she can now touch the ground when stopped.

I just put a new rear tire on her's and took it out yesterday to scrub the tire in. I felt like a monkey on a football when riding her bike.

You can pretty much expect around $600 average anywhere in the country. that is going to be one way. I have used federal and every once in awhile they will do a small bike special where they rate everything as a small bike, it also helps to tell them you are an ama member.

The person I suggested I have used several times and have been very happy with her. Uship has some good shippers on it. Most of your shippers use motorcycles as a filler to help with Fuel Cost. As they can be put in the back of a truck or do not take up much space in a trailer. Good Luck!

My buddy already got two quotes and gave them to me this morning from other shippers and your right on-$570 and $585 with insurance (8K no deductible) one way. I"ll try the two links above and then just compare service (load and delivery times).

Thanks again !!