IGNORED

Maintenance help in Dallas ?

Blooz

Hello boys and girls!

I'm in Dallas, and it's time for my 17k mile service. I got an outrageous quote from the dealer that I can't afford, so I thought I'd ask for some help here.

Wondered if anyone was local-ish, and wanted to come show me / help me with my service. I do not know much about working on my RSTD, but I need to start learning.

I can provide food, drinks, cigars (if you're so inclined) tools.. etc etc, but I just need someone to show me the ropes.

I'm in South Arlington. Please feel free to PM me, or reply here if anyone is interested. I'm free most weekends.

AJ

Hello boys and girls!

I'm in Dallas, and it's time for my 17k mile service. I got an outrageous quote from the dealer that I can't afford, so I thought I'd ask for some help here.

Wondered if anyone was local-ish, and wanted to come show me / help me with my service. I do not know much about working on my RSTD, but I need to start learning.

I can provide food, drinks, cigars (if you're so inclined) tools.. etc etc, but I just need someone to show me the ropes.

I'm in South Arlington. Please feel free to PM me, or reply here if anyone is interested. I'm free most weekends.

AJ

Hello AJ - I'm in the area, and I'd be glad to help. I don't know how much space you have, but this might be a good opportunity to meet some of the other locals too - pick a date and post it here as kind of a mini maintenance day. You don't need to plan anything big, or even schedule it more than a week out - just tell folks a date and you will probably have around half a dozen folks or so stop by to say hi.

Most of the scheduled service is very simple and doesn't take too long. The swing arm and steering bearings are the two big items, but they are not critical to do at the exact same time. And the steering bearings on your bike will be a lot less work than on a Venture!

Goose

Hello AJ - I'm in the area, and I'd be glad to help. I don't know how much space you have, but this might be a good opportunity to meet some of the other locals too - pick a date and post it here as kind of a mini maintenance day. You don't need to plan anything big, or even schedule it more than a week out - just tell folks a date and you will probably have around half a dozen folks or so stop by to say hi.

Most of the scheduled service is very simple and doesn't take too long. The swing arm and steering bearings are the two big items, but they are not critical to do at the exact same time. And the steering bearings on your bike will be a lot less work than on a Venture!

Goose

Excellent! I have a two car garage (I can move the wife's car for the day!) but I do not have a lot of tools. I'd also need to work on a list of parts I'd need to buy for the 17k service. It would be GREAT to meet some of the locals here, as I usually spend most of my time riding alone, or 2 up with the wife.

I just wanted to be sure to pick a weekend where someone was available :301:

Just out of curiosity, what was that quote? I'm looking at an '05 RSTD that is just about at that mileage point and I'm curious if the estimate I was given by another RSTD rider is accurate. No way I can afford that one either if it is but I'm curious to see how much of a rip off your stealership is pricing this. :mo money:

Just out of curiosity, what was that quote? I'm looking at an '05 RSTD that is just about at that mileage point and I'm curious if the estimate I was given by another RSTD rider is accurate. No way I can afford that one either if it is but I'm curious to see how much of a rip off your stealership is pricing this. :mo money:

I was quoted somewhere around $550. That may be a great price, as I have nothing to compare it against, but I'm pretty sure most of that is labor.

I've never worked on this bike, and I really don't want to go it alone, even with the service manual, I'm just not that comfortable.

I was quoted somewhere around $550. That may be a great price, as I have nothing to compare it against, but I'm pretty sure most of that is labor.

I've never worked on this bike, and I really don't want to go it alone, even with the service manual, I'm just not that comfortable.

I don't know if you have the service manual, but here is the maintenance schedule for the RSTD. You need spark plugs, coolant, greases, and oils.

You'll note that the service schedule is mileage AND time based. When I bought my 2006 RSTD, it had 2002 miles on it. However, it was over 2 years old. To get current required me to do the 24 month service. You might think about that, and whether you want to tackle the 30 month service as well. That would add the fuel filter, and perhaps even the brake hoses if you think your bike is over 4 years old.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

I would love to get in on this! my 2007 RSTD needs some love...

I need a carb sync, and the fluids changed.

I can help with whatever, and even good at "here, hold this." :D

Just have to pick a Sat/Sun in April (9th not good) for me.

Hey Marshall! Where ya been ? :301:

I'll post a "mini-maintenance" day the last weekend of April (30th).

We can use my garage, but I might be light on tools and know-how! :)

Hopefully we'll get a few guys to swing by !!

I don't know if you have the service manual, but here is the maintenance schedule for the RSTD. You need spark plugs, coolant, greases, and oils.

You'll note that the service schedule is mileage AND time based. When I bought my 2006 RSTD, it had 2002 miles on it. However, it was over 2 years old. To get current required me to do the 24 month service. You might think about that, and whether you want to tackle the 30 month service as well. That would add the fuel filter, and perhaps even the brake hoses if you think your bike is over 4 years old.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I've only had her about a year. When I bought her, the 15k mile service had just been done. I didn't do hardly any riding over the winter, so I'm thinking I can just get away with the 17k mile service. The only maintenance I've done so far, was to put in a new battery.

Thanks Dave! I've only had her about a year. When I bought her, the 15k mile service had just been done. I didn't do hardly any riding over the winter, so I'm thinking I can just get away with the 17k mile service. The only maintenance I've done so far, was to put in a new battery.

Do you know when the warranty expires? The reason I ask is that the brake lines might be getting brittle. The warranty expiry gives a clue as to how old the bike is, maintenance-wise. Mine expires 4/6, so on that date she'll be 5 years old.

I am a bit confused at the 15K service, because there isn't one scheduled for that. Or for 17K. Maybe it was a time threshold that had elapsed. *shrug*

Have fun at your maintenance day. I'd come up, but I am in Michigan the end of April.

Dave

Do you know when the warranty expires? The reason I ask is that the brake lines might be getting brittle. The warranty expiry gives a clue as to how old the bike is, maintenance-wise. Mine expires 4/6, so on that date she'll be 5 years old.

I am a bit confused at the 15K service, because there isn't one scheduled for that. Or for 17K. Maybe it was a time threshold that had elapsed. *shrug*

Have fun at your maintenance day. I'd come up, but I am in Michigan the end of April.

Dave

Thanks Dave!

You're correct. I'll be doing the 16k mile service, as the 12k service had been done just prior to me purchasing the bike. It's now got 17k miles on it. I just called Royal Star to verify warranty coverage, and it expires May 24th. They did try to sell me the extended warranty :D

Count me in. I just need a excuse to meet some fellow riders. BTW, Hurst Yamaha just did my 12k for $264.00 (minus changing the engine oil, filter and blowing out the air filters I did myself). Plugs can be done by you as well. I'd be happy to help.

Nico

Count me in. I just need a excuse to meet some fellow riders. BTW, Hurst Yamaha just did my 12k for $264.00 (minus changing the engine oil, filter and blowing out the air filters I did myself). Plugs can be done by you as well. I'd be happy to help.

Nico

Thanks Nico! Look forward to meeting you. Will definitely need help! :D

I've also created a post in the M&E so we can keep track!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19