IGNORED

cross jumped battery

wildhorse

In my dark storage area I cross jumped my 2003 Midnight Venture. The main fuse blew the instant I touched the terminal. I changed the 30A fuse and installed a new battery.I now have no audio at all not even a display. Now my clock and trip meters work only when the ignition is on. When I stop and restart the engine the trips are at zero and the clock is at 12:00. The audio doesn't work with the key in any position, I can't find any bad fuses. I'm so bummed I can't blame somebody for my carelessness. This is my third Venture '88, '99, '03, I feel so guilty, I've hurt the best scooter I've ever had.

Thanks for any help,

David

First of all, are you sure you checked all fuses? Don't have manual in front of me but I believe there are fuses located in more than one place.

Second, replace all the fuses, even if they look okay. Past experience is that sometimes it's not obvious that a fuse is blown, safe bet is to replace.

My two cents.

Are the 03's different cause my 09 is in the left side?? :confused24:

All Years are the same. The side of the bike is always stated in reference to the rider. The main fuse box is behind the battery cover on the left side, and the secondary fuse box us under the lower cowling on the right side.

Goose

All Years are the same. The side of the bike is always stated in reference to the rider. The main fuse box is behind the battery cover on the left side, and the secondary fuse box us under the lower cowling on the right side.

Goose

Got ya now. I thought we were referring to the back up fuse which is behind panel B which is the left side. But I see now you posted before the back up fuse was mentioned. Manual shows an audio fuse in the panel you mentioned. Back up (odometer/clock) fuse is in the one on the left.

I can only assume what that means, but I think it may have a bad word in it someting like "Read The F!#%*$% Manual ??? :confused24: Just asking.

Don't take it personal, he's like this with a lot of the newbies.

Once you learn to phrase the question properly, and never ask something over, he will warm right up to you.

Just try asking him about putting dyna beads in a car tire you want to mount on the rear of your bike, you will see what I mean ! !

:no-no-no: :080402gudl_prv:

Gary

Don't take it personal, he's like this with a lot of the newbies.

Once you learn to phrase the question properly, and never ask something over, he will warm right up to you.

Just try asking him about putting dyna beads in a car tire you want to mount on the rear of your bike, you will see what I mean ! !

:no-no-no: :080402gudl_prv:

Gary

LMAO! Really...give it a try? :rotf:

I can only assume what that means, but I think it may have a bad word in it someting like "Read The F!#%*$% Manual ??? :confused24: Just asking.

How did you ever come up with that meaning? :buttkick:

Everyone knows that RTFM = Read The Fine Manual.

Everyone does know that.... right? :beer:

RTFM? If you don't know where it is just say so, or is the back up fuse a joke like a left handed wrench or pipe strecher? I looked everywhere in the manual before I contacted this site. It listed fuses in 3 places and none of them mentioned a back up fuse. I very well could have missed it that's why I am seeking outside help. I was told this site has more knowledge than the factory rep. when it comes to Ventures. I am no newby, I was riding cross country when it wasn't a fad. I need real suggestions, I know electrical problems can be a challenge, but if you have an idea please share it.

Thanks,

David

David, I am very sorry if you felt we (and me in particular) were not being helpful. Royalstar09 did specifically tell you where that fuse was in post #8, and then when you asked again, it seemed that you might be better served to be directed to the documentation so that you could "learn to fish", so to speak.

Had you told us that you couldn't find it in the manual in the first place, we could have addressed that issue easily. In your 2003 owner's manual, it is called the "Odometer fuse" on page 7-36. Starting in 2004, they made the book a bit more clear by calling it the "Odometer and Clock fuse (backup)", and then in 2005, they changed it again to "Backup fuse (for odometer and clock)". So you can see that the name someone gives you for this particular fuse can be different depending on what year bike the respondent has.

If that does not fix your problem, please post again and we will give it another try.

Goose

David, as a fairly newbie venture guy here, I understand your situation. I learn something new everytime I get on here, and that's everyday and sometimes for way too much time!! Anyway, I found the other website has pics of your fuse boxes, so check this out and you should be good to go! http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002007&id=407

Click on Tech Library and then electrical and Fuse Box locations... Great website for tech stuff as well as this one!!

I hope you get that '03 up and running and thanks for sharing your misfortune and experience with this problem!

Let us know how your bike comes out of this!

Brian

Edited by BigDawg

David, as a fairly newbie venture guy here, I understand your situation. I learn something new everytime I get on here, and that's everyday and sometimes for way too much time!! Anyway, I found the other website has pics of your fuse boxes, so check this out and you should be good to go! http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002007&id=407

I hope you get that '03 up and running and thanks for sharing your misfortune and experience with this problem!

Let us know how your bike comes out of this!

Brian

The owner's manual has both pictures and location description of the fuse boxes along with the location of the specific fuses. That's the beauty of actually 'R'-ing the FM (and why I even gave the exact page number in the 03 manual).

But that other site does have a lot of good tech info, as does our own tech library. Great to share that. Thanx

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

they made the book a bit more clear by calling it the "Odometer and Clock fuse (backup)", and then in 2005, they changed it again to "Backup fuse (for odometer and clock)".

I never knew this name change, although I have heard of this back up fuse, but never found it. I am glad I never really had a reason too, or I am sure I would be in the same boat as you.

Also I have not read the entire manual but have referred to it when needed. I am sure there has been others here that read it regularly.

Good luck finding your issue.

Brad

Let me begain by thanking everyone for their interest in my electrical problems, especially V7GOOSE and Royalstar09 for the very good advice. I said my bike was on '03, it is accually an '02. The back up fuse was was right there behind panel"B". My manual called it odometer fuse (but my odometer worked, not the clock and trip meters). The sticker in the lid on the fuse box says back up. The fuse was blown. I now have all audio working. ( What am I going to do with the radio I bought out of a wrecked '03 Venture when I thought mine was ruined?) Now every thing works like always except the emergency flashers, turn signals work fine, the fuse marked signals is OK. Any thoughts on this before tear into it and start buying parts I don't need?

Thanks again,

David