IGNORED

Planning a trip BEFORE Sturgis

A few of us are planning a trip to the Badlands, Rushmore and some Wyoming riding (or anything else around there).

But we are wondering about the timing of our trip. We plan on leaving July 22-31 and the Sturgis Rally is going to be from August 8-14. Will we have any difficulty getting rooms from July 24, 25 and 26? Opinions?

Also...we had planned to stay in Rapid City, SD and use that as a "staging" place for all of our day trips. But after looking at the map, I am thinking that Custer, SD would be a better staging place...they have motels and it makes the southern part (badlands, Wyoming, rushmore) more accessible since our only trip north will be a quick (very quick) trip through Sturgis.

Are there any other OFF THE WALL things to see in the area that most people don't know about? How about any recommendations on Motels in the Custer, SD area?

Are there any other OFF THE WALL things to see in the area that most people don't know about? How about any recommendations on Motels in the Custer, SD area?

Well, OFF THE WALL things, I would recommend a trip by Wall Drug! http://www.walldrug.com/

Wall, SD. A great place for a couple hours of nostalgia.

Ride Easy!

Brian

:bluesbrother:

Too bad you're not planning on attending the International in Cody at the end of July. Plenty of things to see and a great place to call home before Sturgis... As far as lodging goes it's gonna be tuff. Motel rooms start getting scarce around that time.... or bend over because it's gonna hurt your wallet...

http://www.cast-aways.com/codypics/FinalCodyPatch.2.jpg

Try the Chief Motel in downtown Custer. They are biker friendly and have special deals that if you stay for x amount of days then you can get a free pass for the park. As for places to see in the southern hills (Hot Springs) The Mamouth site is interesting and just south of there is the wild horse sanctury. When you go to the Badlands make sure you get there either at sunrise or at sunset because of the way the sun hits. As for rides besides the regulers try old Hill City Rd. between Hill City and Keystone. My wife was born and raised in Custer and we still own the log house just east of town. Needless to say I've riddin all the paved roads and most of the gravel. Have a Great time!! Rod

P.S. There is a DQ in Custer