Please understand that it's NOT that I am in love with Microsoft, it's just that for me, computers running Windows software do everything that I need them to do at MUCH less money than anything from Apple. Most of that article is about tablets and phones and I honestly have no passion for either of those things. If Microsoft was to go out of business tomorrow and I HAD to buy an Apple, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. I just don't have the need to do so at this time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
Please understand that it's NOT that I am in love with Microsoft, it's just that for me, computers running Windows software do everything that I need them to do at MUCH less money than anything from Apple. Most of that article is about tablets and phones and I honestly have no passion for either of those things. If Microsoft was to go out of business tomorrow and I HAD to buy an Apple, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. I just don't have the need to do so at this time.

I would hate to see the competition disappear, since that's what made Apple so good...having to compete to stay alive. Microsoft is starting a slow journey into the drain BECAUSE they do not seem to grasp they have to COMPETE. Sitting at the top of the pile for so many years has made them complacent.

Competion in the marketplace is good. Choice is good. But it does make sense for us to stay abreast of the situation, no matter which side of the fence you reside on. If I was in charge of Microsoft, and could wave a magic wand, I would command the software engineers to start from scratch and design a small, niche OS, that would exist BESIDE windows, but not be compatible with it. Like most Lexus parts won't work in a Toyota, not EVERYTHING has to be compatible with everything else that's produced by a company.

A second, high quality, low volume, desktop OS thats geared toward the more affluent/experienced/hobbyist/whatever user, that has zero compatiblity with windows ( and therefore zero shared malware) seems to me would make huge market sense. Plus it would give Microsoft and its users a new sandbox to play in, and be ready for primetime in the next few years and provide a transition path for windows users to migrate to.

After all, Apple produces two OS's....one that runs on the Macs, and one that runs on iPads and iPhones...so it DOES work well to diversify.

Failing all that....you winders guys might want to plan your exit strategy. :-)