IGNORED

How to wear hair under a helmet?

GAWildKat

I have a question for you ladies. What is the best way to wear long hair while riding? I have long hair past my shoulders and in the past I've not been overly concerned with how my hair is after I take off the helmet. But soon it will be a near daily thing to be on a bike. I've seen those skullcaps with attached ponytail holders on different leather and biker sites. I personally can't french braid my hair, but sometimes Hubby will do it for me. Anyway, I wanted ideas.

I was just curious, in the past I have been put on the spot to ride, so wasn't any prep for keeping my hair from getting snarled up. I've seen similar things to the hair sleeves. So I'll keep looking. But when I told hubby today he's going to be french braid my hair again he said choice words I can't repeat here. :p

My hair comes down just to my waist so it gets tangled very easily when I ride. One thing I do if I'm in a hurry is pony tail it but I don't pull it all the way thru when I loop it for the last time. That keeps the ends up under my helmet.

Also there is a neat lil gizmo called the "Hairdini". Two pieces of spring steel encased in a velour type material. I usually pony tail my hair, pull the pony tail between the two bands [which are are joined at one end by the material], roll it up until it comes to the back of my neck and curl the bands [they will do this on their own]. It effectively puts your hair into a French bun style, no tangles, and your hair will stay neat. I've worn snugged up against my head for work and a little looser for riding. No problem when wearing a helmet. I've even slept with it in my hair.

There are some other things out there. You just have to look and see what works for you.

• 5 months later...

I wear a skullcap under my helmet to keep my helmet clean and to help keep my hair in place when we ride.

Then I have "Hairdo by helmet" patch on all my vests - self-explanatory, I figure, 'cause I have curly mid-length hair and there's no way it's going to look good after being stuffed in a helmet for hours.

I have short hair 'cause I hate taking any time with me, but I just want you to know that I deal with helmet hair all the time too, I just don't have the tangle issues. I tend to take off my helmet and put on my baseball cap. Good luck with your helmet hair.