IGNORED

Sharing my GPS mount for a Gen1

justfun1

This site is AWESOME and has really helped me out a lot!

Just thought that I would share how I mounted my GPS to my '86 scoot. I had tried mounting to the handle bars but found it vibrated more that I liked, was not well protected by the windshield & was too far out of my line of sight to feel safe.

After a lot of thought I figured out that I could mount it to my fork because it is very stable & already has threads. It also positions the GPS in a good line of sight & is well protected by the windscreen. I had access to a small lathe so I made the custom spacer & bought the aluminum RAM mount components. See pics for more detail.

I really like it and have made one for a friend that has an '84 venture.

COuple years ago I needed a quick mount, my gps had a handlebar mount so I made this bar from stainless, threaded it as the handlebar is and replaced the nut with it. Easily removed, and factory nut put back on.

Excerpt from post back in 2008;

I removed the nut that holds the upper handlebar in place and machined a nifty little stub fom a piece of 303 stainless to go back in its place. 10x1mm are the threads on that nut and curiously enough that is not a common metric fastener but I did have a tap. After screwing it on in place of the nut I wished I had made it longer but I can always make another to go on the other side.

That is a great solution as well. I did see your post when I was trying to figure out what I was going to do. I decided against it because I thought it might block my gauges. I also had problems with the GPS being too close and my eyes had to adjust to see it. Getting old sucks! I thought the location of yours might give me the same issue.

Now that you reminded me of it though I might make one to mount a drink holder to.

Thanks!

Hey Bob,

That too was an excellent way to use an existing fastener to mount a GPS on your First Gen. The fact that we don't have the "normal" round handle bars, poses an opportunity to use our "gray matter" for the solution. I have attached a few pics of my mount.

My Hat's off to both you gents!:thumbsup2:

Earl

NUVI 855 MOUNTED.jpg

MOUNT COMPLETED.jpg

That is a great solution as well. I did see your post when I was trying to figure out what I was going to do. I decided against it because I thought it might block my gauges. I also had problems with the GPS being too close and my eyes had to adjust to see it. Getting old sucks! I thought the location of yours might give me the same issue.

Now that you reminded me of it though I might make one to mount a drink holder to.

Thanks!

Great idea. A gimble mount cup holder would work good there, it would be inside the arc of the bars turning so it should get sloshed a lot less.

Hey Bob,

That too was an excellent way to use an existing fastener to mount a GPS on your First Gen. The fact that we don't have the "normal" round handle bars, poses an opportunity to use our "gray matter" for the solution. I have attached a few pics of my mount.

My Hat's off to both you gents!:thumbsup2:

Earl

Earl, I still like yours as well or better than mine! As I told you months ago, if you decide you want to produce several of those let me know, 20 or so on my cnc lathe would take less than 30 minutes.

I gotta hand it to you guys, ya did some nice work. I didn't have the patients to mess around with a mount so went with a RAM arm and c550 attachment connected to a machined bar mount I picked up off Ebay. It wasn't cheap..which is odd for me... but it does look good. Here a pick of the mount, and it should work on the 1stGen too with it's limited mounting space on the round portion. Here's a pic....