IGNORED

Chrome Radiator Cover

If it's similar to mine with a couple of bent over tabs on the top and on the side, you have to pop loose the radiator enough to lower it a bit and slide the holes in the top tabs over the pins on top of the radiator. Put the radiator back in place and the screws on each side through the holes in the side tabs.

That was by memory from 3 years ago and of course if your's is like that.

• 2 months later...
If it's similar to mine with a couple of bent over tabs on the top and on the side, you have to pop loose the radiator enough to lower it a bit and slide the holes in the top tabs over the pins on top of the radiator.

Sounds simple enough... received my rad cover today and has the two tabs at the side and one at the top. Problem is... I can pull the rad down about 1/4" but too much tension with the hose on top of the rad to lower it any more. Need about another 1/4-1/2" lower.

If I loosen the clamp holding the upper rad hose on... will I lose fluid? Or am I missing something?

Found a thread... basically sounds like I need to use a pry bar to lower the rad enough to slide the top tab of the cover on.

Will try this after American Idol... unless someone suggests another way.

Thanks !

American Idol is getting priority over putting new chrome on your bike?.........

:stickpoke:.you aint right!!!!!!!!!!!:rotfl::rotfl:

Brian

ito had trouble gettingthe rad down enough to get the top tab over the tube, i just took tin ships and split the top tab on one sibe at an angle opened the tab enough to slide past the tube then bent the tab back to org.shape works fine. i did find that there was a slight vib so i added two small rubber bumpers between the rad and cover at the top to prevent rattle:080402gudl_prv:

Done!

I tried a long screw driver first. even put a rag over the rad so I wouldnt scratch it Wouldnt you know i put a small dent in it. I would recommend putting a piece of wood on it to disperse the pressure or looking at it differently, put the tip of the screw driver under the upper support, a block of wood on top of the rad, and pushing down. This worked much easier for me.

No pics...yet. Will post in a separate thread and show my winter updates

Thanks for the replies. And yes, the chrome waited until after American Idol. Quality time with the girl friend you know!

Put one on my trike, didn't get raditor down too far so I put a slot in top bracket just wide enough to get bracket to slip around upper post and put side bolts back in. Cover don't weigh nothing so I'm counting on side bolts to hold cover tight. Did this 2 weeks or so ago, and its working out just fine.