IGNORED

tires

warriorhoneybee

here's a question i dont think i've read and if so please forgive me or you can thump my head in june at maint day.called jake wilson before i ordered my 150/90-15(80h)avon venom am42 rear black wall tire to get date off of tire and they told me its from20 09 09 which i figure is sept-09 2009 which puts it at being a year and a half old already,didnt ask if it was a controled temp warehouse but what is the oldest tire (date) i should consider????

:bluesbrother:

The last four digits of the DOT code on the tire is the date code.

First 2 numbers are the week the tire was manufactured and the last 2 numbers are the year.

So a date code of 0909 would be the 9th week of 2009. I have no idea what the 20 would be unless they were going by the date THEY received the tires from their supplier and they gave your their date code and not the ones on the actual tire.

I doubt the fella answering the phone would physically have the exact tire that they are going to ship to you at his desk to give you the date code off of it.

thanks for the info.she, thats right she told me even though they could give me a date on the tire theres no way to say what tire i'll be recieving so theres realy no point in telling me the date on the tire their looking at, however if thats the dates than its to old for me.i did go to avons web site to check out how to figure out the numbers on the tire and your right those numbers didn't ad up to me either,thanks.

called another place and they gave me the numbers of 101610. i cant find the formula.i went to avons web site and all i could find is were the numbers were at but not what the numbers meant.i know one said the first was the week and the second was the year but 101610,o well thanks for the help.
I have no idea what that number is, but it AIN'T the DOT code. The DOT date code is a 4-digit code in an oval. And as was explained to you above, the first two digits are the week the tire was made, and the last two digits are the year.

Goose

could have ordered a E3 MV85B15 for 130.00 shipped but everyone around here wants a fortune to mount and balance if you don't buy from them! My end price was 175.00. Then after I paid that I found someone who would mount and balance for $20.00! so end price would have been $150.00. I will do that on the front tire!

The only way your going to get a fairly recent tire is to buy it from a dealer that moves a bunch of tires, and has a big turnover. Searching around for a tire that has the absolute newest date is rediculous. And a big mover isn't going to have the time to go out into the warehouse to find a date on 'your' tire. A stock tire that is a couple of years old has nothing wrong with it, and when it turns 5 years old it isn't going to fall apart. Not to say that if you pick one up from a local dealer it would be wise to double check the dot date, as they don't have nearly the sales a mass merchandiser would, and the tire may have sat on the shelf for many years.

Generally accepted practice is not to run a tire over 7 years old. If you will wear the tire out before it is 7 years old, it is not really a big concern.

My dad had a michelin explode on a motorhome he had bought used, and did not know how old the tires were, but had plenty of tread. He went to michelin to try to make them "make good" on it. They would not because the date code was like 12 years old. They told him to replace all the tires immediately

Tires with 2 year old date codes are common. The real issue with the code is when buying from a small dealler who may have had the tire sitting around for 5 years. Also when buying a used bike that may have sat for a long time.

I just ordered another set of Dunlop E3's from Motorcycle Superstore for $233.00. They always get here fast, and have pretty fresh date codes on them.

Same price as last year.

Front $102.99

Rear $130.99

Not using Avons anymore, until they figure out their cracking problem. This is my 3rd set of E3's, and I am perfectly happy with them. Also, I have never gotten so many miles out of a set of tires, as these.

The only way your going to get a fairly recent tire is to buy it from a dealer that moves a bunch of tires, and has a big turnover. Searching around for a tire that has the absolute newest date is rediculous. And a big mover isn't going to have the time to go out into the warehouse to find a date on 'your' tire. A stock tire that is a couple of years old has nothing wrong with it, and when it turns 5 years old it isn't going to fall apart. Not to say that if you pick one up from a local dealer it would be wise to double check the dot date, as they don't have nearly the sales a mass merchandiser would, and the tire may have sat on the shelf for many years.

Condor is right on, couldn't agree more.

Steve