IGNORED

90 degree valve stems

I have a quick question about valve stems. I am going to put 90 degree valve stems on my 03 RSV. There are two sizes available 8 MM and 10 MM.

I have searched the forum and found threads on valve stems and could not find the answer to my question. I did read on the forum that the front and back wheels are different as far as the the valve stem hole. True or false?

I'm going to put K&L valve stems on, either part number 32-5419 10MM or part number 32-5414 8 MM.

Now my question is what size is the valve stem hole, 8 or 10 MM? :think:

Edited by SMSgt

I'm pretty sure they're 8mm.

You can check by looking at the stem - the cap is 8mm. If the nut that's against the wheel is the same inside diameter as the cap then you know it's 8mm. 10mm is 25% larger and it'll be quite obvious if it is.

I just have one that screws onto the existing vave stem to allow you to fill easily and then you just remove it when youre done.

Personally i dont like the look of the angle stem and wonder sometimes if the ones with the rubber base have some issues leaking because of vibrations etc.

Brian

I just have one that screws onto the existing vave stem to allow you to fill easily and then you just remove it when youre done.

Personally i dont like the look of the angle stem and wonder sometimes if the ones with the rubber base have some issues leaking because of vibrations etc.

Brian

And you know that... why??? Oh yeah, I remember...ask Vic. :sign20:

I personally wouldn't bother putting a rt angle stem on the front rim. It's easy to get to. Now the back is a different story..... I have never seen a 10mm stem, and can't imagine what they would be used for??..... It's an 8.....

My bike had a right-angle valve stem on the rear when I got it. It pointed towards the left side and since that's the side the bike leans to when stopped and on the side-stand, I found I had to lay down on the ground to put air in ... a real PITA. So, when I put a new tire on, I moved the thing to point to the right ... well, I don't have to lay down anymore but it's still a PITA due to the brake rotor making it a tighter fit to get at.

Right-angle or not... a PITA. It was easier on my 1st gen...but I think that was because I could set it on the centre-stand.

I have a 90 on the rear facing to the right and a 45 up front also facing the right. Makes it a bit easier for me to add air. The rear hole is smaller them the front hole so ill guess that the rear is 8mm and the front id a 10mm.

• 2 months later...

Well I finally got my tire change complete.

The K&L valve stems were junk, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!! They cost about $15.00 a piece. They are cheap pot aluminum. The first one broke off in the threads while putting the nut on it.

And in case anyone is wondering the valve stem holes in the rims are in fact 10MM so make a mental note of that, in case you ever want to but valve stems that are actually sized.

I found this out the hard way as well.

Shop wanted to put in a rubber valve when I declined and explained why . he told how thats crazy and it should be pointed to the right side.

It is now pointing and I have to use a double sided air chuck to reach from the left side anyway.

And you know that... why??? Oh yeah, I remember...ask Vic. :sign20:

I personally wouldn't bother putting a rt angle stem on the front rim. It's easy to get to. Now the back is a different story..... I have never seen a 10mm stem, and can't imagine what they would be used for??..... It's an 8.....

Yup - NEVER - EVER - :no-no-no: get the ones with the rubber bases. I had just gotten mine couple of years ago at Cycle Gear when we were on the last VentureWest rally - and at the rubber base, it cracked due to the vibration - whatever. Front tire flat tire at 65MPH is not fun - at least wasn't for me.

• 8 years later...
Well I finally got my tire change complete.

The K&L valve stems were junk, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!! They cost about $15.00 a piece. They are cheap pot aluminum. The first one broke off in the threads while putting the nut on it.

And in case anyone is wondering the valve stem holes in the rims are in fact 10MM so make a mental note of that, in case you ever want to but valve stems that are actually sized.

I have the brand, "Moto D" They are metal and cost $24 for the pair on Amazon.

Don