IGNORED

motor trike

gunboat

hi folks

since i bought my motor tike rsv a couple of weeks ago. i was wondering if anyone else had this trike kit or am i the only one ? i've looked at the hannigan and tri-wing kits. these seam to be the most popular with the rsv bunch.

reguards

don c.

Don I've seen a couple of the Motor Trike RSV's but don't know who they were as I saw them on trips. Also know nothing on how they're set up in comparison to the Tri-Wing & Hannigan trikes. Other than older machines Tri-Wing and Hannigan are currently the only choices available for triking a Venture or RSTD.

Larry

hi larry thanks for the responce. i've only put a cople hundred miles on the trike so far. i'am not real impressed with the gas milage, it's about 25 mpg. the mechanic at the shop were i bought the trike said he had serviced it, but could not tell me any more about it. one of the salesmen said he thought they got the bike out of minnesota. i plan on doing a carbtune, checking the rearend gear ratio. i'll probley will change out the engine & rearend oil to synthic.

reguards

don c.

Don the gear rations on the Hannigans are 3:73 whic is about the same as a V-Max differential. Tri-Wing uses a 3:42 gear ratio wich adds about 250 rpms at 70mph. hannigans add approximately 500 rpms at the same speed. I think the factory gearing for the Venture is 3:21.

Yea gas milage will suck on the trike. If you're getting 25 mpg that's probably going to be about average. mine varies between 25 and 30 depending on speed and how much I'm using my right wrist. I've even gotten 21 -22 when pulling a trailer in hill country.

I was normally looking for a gas station around 125 miles and decided that just wasn't enough range so I added an auxliarlly fuel tank last winter. It measured out at 4 gallons but in real life capicity is about 3 3/4 gals of useable fuel. Adding that tank was one of the best things I did to this bike after triking it.

Larry

thanks larry & rick

i will check on the tourtank as i have plenty of room below the rsv trunk. i do have a small storage compartment that is lockable. but i don't think it would be big enought to mount one of the tourtanks in there. i will be adding a rack to the trunk. looking at the hannigan trike bodys it looks like there is plenty of room under that body to add a aux fuel tank. i have not been under the back of my trike yet, but will soon. i did go ahead and punch a couple of holes in the neck of the gas tank so it would vent the traped air out and let fuel higher up in the tank.

reguards

don c.

Don,

Motor Trike didn't make the kit for the RSV but about two years or maybe just 18 mos, because at the time there wasn't any interest like there was for the GW1800, and Harley. The standard rear end used by them is the Ford 7.5 Mustang GT, or Ranger. Geared at 2:73 The setup is more than likely their standard Ladder Bar suspension system. There isn't any spear room under the Goldwing, or the Harley, so I would bet that there isn't much under the RSV. 25 to 30 sounds about right to me also, I have seen as little as 19/20 bulling my camper in winds ( the camper is a tad heavy according to most at 700 lbs +- )

If you can fit or make an extra tank it will save your bacon at least once. :) I get about 135 to the main tank, and have the 4.5 reserve, and use it often ( just remember to fill both on a long trip ) Don't ask!!!!!!!!!!

To get the best information on the kit, and what to do as maintenance call Richard Graham at Motor Trike in Troup TX. He is the only one that is still there from when they were producing them, and can help. In the mean time down load this little short service manual that I wrote in 08 for the Goldwing kit, It is only 96 pages :confused24: The measurements, and distances will be different than on the RSV, but if it is a Ladder Bar system, the procedure is the same on all of the models, and bikes for adjustment. There is also a Maint Sched ( sort of ) of things that need to be looked at periodically, and checked.

http://www.junkmaster.com/kj5ix/MTServiceManual.pdf

Unfortunately, Don, 25 MPG is about right. There is a few things you can do to increase this but at a sactifice of acceleration. You can try to lower your rear end ratio, or rejet your carbs but for the expense and labor you have to wonder if you are really saving anything. The problem being you are now pushing around about the weight equivilent of almost another half a bike!

Your best investment is in an auxillary tank to extend your range per fillup, but money wise it isn't going to help, but is going to cost you the expense of the extra tank. It will, however, eliminate the frustration of having to stop every hour and a half on the expressway to fill up...