IGNORED

Quebec City - no motorcycles?

Dave77459

I am in the beginning phases of a planned ride to capture for my ride map the northeastern states next summer. One of my possible routes takes me through Montreal and Quebec City to Madawaska, Maine.

In my research, I've come across a notice that motorcycles are not permitted in the old city part of Quebec City. True? If so, does that argue against stopping in Quebec City and spending my time elsewhere?

Dave

PS - first entry in this section of the forum. I feel special. :)

Probably had to ban them for the noise factor, tooo many revving engines with all those tight, close knit buildings, probably driving people nuts.

Can't see why you need to go to the old city,,,, I've never been there and I'm quite healthy without the experience, I also have not run out of other pleasant places to go and see.

JMO

Carl

My wife and I were there last summer on the RSV. We stayed just outside the Old city at the Hotel Chateau Laurier. We parked the bike for two days in their underground lot and walked everywhere for 2 days around the old city. It was an easy walk for the most part. There are horse drawn carriages that will take you anywhere for a fee. That was when we noticed the sign that said no motorbikes in the old city. I'm not sure why. The streets are very narrow and very steep in spots. They are also brick. I dont think I would want to drive a car down them not to mention a bike. At any rate we had a great time. There is so much to see. Restaurants are great. Lots of history and beautiful scenery and architecture. We will definately go back some day. Traffic is a challenge getting in and out of the metro area but we took our time and followed the GPS and all went well. Bottom line. Quebec City is worth a visit. Good luck with your planning. JR :thumbsup2:

Thanks guys!

Probably had to ban them for the noise factor, tooo many revving engines with all those tight, close knit buildings, probably driving people nuts.

Can't see why you need to go to the old city,,,, I've never been there and I'm quite healthy without the experience, I also have not run out of other pleasant places to go and see.

JMO

Carl

I can easily believe that could be the reason for the ban. The common thing in small towns here is a prohibition on slowing by down shifting. Trucks can make quite a racket that way, and people like a quieter environment.

My wife and I were there last summer on the RSV. We stayed just outside the Old city at the Hotel Chateau Laurier. We parked the bike for two days in their underground lot and walked everywhere for 2 days around the old city. It was an easy walk for the most part. There are horse drawn carriages that will take you anywhere for a fee. That was when we noticed the sign that said no motorbikes in the old city. I'm not sure why. The streets are very narrow and very steep in spots. They are also brick. I dont think I would want to drive a car down them not to mention a bike. At any rate we had a great time. There is so much to see. Restaurants are great. Lots of history and beautiful scenery and architecture. We will definately go back some day. Traffic is a challenge getting in and out of the metro area but we took our time and followed the GPS and all went well. Bottom line. Quebec City is worth a visit. Good luck with your planning. JR :thumbsup2:

You do a great job selling the old town. LOL Sounds like the place deserves more time than I can afford to give it. Arriving 6PM and leaving the next day at 7AM wouldn't do it justice. As Carl suggested, maybe I should focus on other places that are beautiful passing through.

Dave

Guest Swifty

JMO

Carl

:thumbdown:

My wife and I were there last summer on the RSV. We stayed just outside the Old city at the Hotel Chateau Laurier. We parked the bike for two days in their underground lot and walked everywhere for 2 days around the old city. It was an easy walk for the most part. There are horse drawn carriages that will take you anywhere for a fee. That was when we noticed the sign that said no motorbikes in the old city. I'm not sure why. The streets are very narrow and very steep in spots. They are also brick. I dont think I would want to drive a car down them not to mention a bike. At any rate we had a great time. There is so much to see. Restaurants are great. Lots of history and beautiful scenery and architecture. We will definately go back some day. Traffic is a challenge getting in and out of the metro area but we took our time and followed the GPS and all went well. Bottom line. Quebec City is worth a visit. Good luck with your planning. JR

:thumbsup:

Pro's...Quebec City is a very interesting place with lots to see, a lot of history and many things that I have never seen before.

I can see the bricks, narrow streets, horse drawn carriages and noise being the reasoning factors for no motorcycles.

Con's...I found everything to be so very expensive for everything there, but I guess that's true for almost any tourist area.

The roads around Montreal seem to always be under construction as well...at least they were a couple of years ago and I've heard it hasn't changed any since.

IMHO

Hills are quite steep in old part of Quebec city and not sure I would want to be riding on a bike, if allowed. Definetly worth walking around for a few hours very interesting (google Chateau Frontenac, if you have a unlimited budget a very nice place to stay)

In Montreal the older district is very nice as well. The Notre Dam Basilica is also worth the tour and a ride to the top of Mont Royal is very nice

All I can say is watch out for the other drivers, very fast.

Brad

http://www.montreal.com/churches/ndint.jpg

I am in the beginning phases of a planned ride to capture for my ride map the northeastern states next summer. One of my possible routes takes me through Montreal and Quebec City to Madawaska, Maine.

In my research, I've come across a notice that motorcycles are not permitted in the old city part of Quebec City. True? If so, does that argue against stopping in Quebec City and spending my time elsewhere?

Dave

Dave

If you have the chance to see old Quebec City then you MUST do it. The air of nostalgia throughout the city will take your breath away. This is the only walled city in North America. Small cafes, wine, great food, fantastic views are all just the beginning in Quebec City. Where else can you have a Guinness draft in a 400 yr old ammunition bunker? :hihi:

If you are stopping for just a day then I highly recommend you ride into the town of Levis. That is right across the St. Lawrence River from Quebec City and there is a ferry that runs back and forth constantly. The view (photo opps) from the ferry are truly amazing and you won't be disappointed. The Chateau Frontenac looms large on the hillside and you can see the different levels (ages) of the city from the river.

If pricing is a concern then you can find cheaper places to see and eat. But if you want an experience that you will remember for a lifetime for a little more money, Quebec City has what you are looking for. :thumbsup2:

Thomas

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PlaneCrazy

If Quebec City was just a technical stop on your trip up and over to Maine, then I would recommend stopping there and not Montreal. Just off the Trans-Canada highway in Quebec City (Ste. Foy actually) is a great Hotel called the Quebec Inn . You can get a very nice room for under $100 usually with large flat screen and huge bed and parking for your bike right outside your door. The Hotel also has a large indoor arboretum of sorts too with beauty salon, gym, shops and a restaurant if you want to pamper yourself.

Whenever I do an East Coast trip, I usually make my first stop at this hotel and I bypass Montreal all together. The place is a zoo to try and drive a bike through. I like the first day's ride to be low stress and short, then the second day I put in a 1200km day and usually go all the way to Nova Scotia before stopping again.

• 2 years later...

Dave

That is misinformation. I have been to Old QC a number of times and have been in the walled part of the city with my bike and trailer and even stayed there overnight with my bike parked on the street. Bikes are welcomed in QC.

Hey Ron - We did a four week tour through the US northeast and back to Toronto through Eastern Canada last summer. On that tour, we rode into the heart of old Quebec City and it was a fabulous experience. We deliberately avoided the crowded and busy highways around Montreal when heading east from Quebec City by riding north east through the Laurentians and enjoyed some of the best biking roads on our entire four week VentureEast. We included a brief description and pictures of our daily ride (including Quebec City) in our blog which may give you some ideas for your trip. You can view it at http://ventureeast2013.blogspot.ca/

Enjoy!

Hey Ron - We did a four week tour through the US northeast and back to Toronto through Eastern Canada last summer. On that tour, we rode into the heart of old Quebec City and it was a fabulous experience. We deliberately avoided the crowded and busy highways around Montreal when heading east from Quebec City by riding north east through the Laurentians and enjoyed some of the best biking roads on our entire four week VentureEast. We included a brief description and pictures of our daily ride (including Quebec City) in our blog which may give you some ideas for your trip. You can view it at http://ventureeast2013.blogspot.ca/

Enjoy!

Some great pictures and memories. I write travel stories for Motorcycle Mojo, the best bike magazine in Canada! We did the Gaspe last year and Cape Breton the year before, and have done the Charlevois and the south shore. This year we did the St. John River Valley and we were in Edmundston on Canada Day. After that we did PEI and then went over to Isle de la Madeleine. Each will be a story for the magazine sometime over the next few months. On the way to New Brunswick we went to Ottawa then north from Montebelo, PQ to Mont Tremblant, then east all the way to Quebec City. Did a story a couple of years ago about Mont Tremblant. I can send you a few stories that have already been published if you want. Just send me your email address. keysyrider@gmail.com Did you go to Banc-du-Peche-de-Paspebiac? Great historic place with an interesting history.

Edited by Keysyrider

Some great pictures and memories. I write travel stories for Motorcycle Mojo, the best bike magazine in Canada! We did the Gaspe last year and Cape Breton the year before, and have done the Charlevois and the south shore. This year we did the St. John River Valley and we were in Edmundston on Canada Day. After that we did PEI and then went over to Isle de la Madeleine. Each will be a story for the magazine sometime over the next few months. On the way to New Brunswick we went to Ottawa then north from Montebelo, PQ to Mont Tremblant, then east all the way to Quebec City. Did a story a couple of years ago about Mont Tremblant. I can send you a few stories that have already been published if you want. Just send me your email address. keysyrider@gmail.com Did you go to Banc-du-Peche-de-Paspebiac? Great historic place with an interesting history.

I was born in Edmundston and still proudly identify with the Brayon culture. Hope you got to enjoy some of it while there. Being in Fredericton now we get to enjoy the St.John River Valey on a daily basis and truly recommend it. Looking forward to reading your acounts...:322:

I was born in Edmundston and still proudly identify with the Brayon culture. Hope you got to enjoy some of it while there. Being in Fredericton now we get to enjoy the St.John River Valey on a daily basis and truly recommend it. Looking forward to reading your acounts...:322:

Yes, we had ployes and fiddlehead soup at the New Brunswick Botanical Gardens on our first day, Canada Day. My very first trip on a motorcycle was in 1965 on my 305 Honda Super Hawk. I was 19 years old and I rode all the way from Newcastle, ON to Bath, NB to visit my girl friend. What an experience that was--and I'm just talking about the girl friend. :225:

Yes, we had ployes and fiddlehead soup at the New Brunswick Botanical Gardens on our first day, Canada Day. My very first trip on a motorcycle was in 1965 on my 305 Honda Super Hawk. I was 19 years old and I rode all the way from Newcastle, ON to Bath, NB to visit my girl friend. What an experience that was--and I'm just talking about the girl friend. :225:

As I know little about Canadian mc touring, I do get into Manitoba, Alberta and Saskatchewan in trucking. You made me laugh about the trip on the 305 SH, I rode from Omaha, NE to Denver, CO and back about the same time on a 305 CL77 scrambler. Man I was finally a biker at near 62 mph.

:farmer:

I had a 305 Superhawk in 1967-69. That was fun bike. Took it with me to the Army when I dropped out of college January 1968. Rode it to Ft Hood Texas. Lots of miles around the Hill Country. back & forth to my uncle's in Ft. Worth on weekends.

Meanwhile, back on topic.....

Its been a few years since I've been to Montreal, but enjoyed oldtown a lot. A place named Churchills was my favorite spot if I remember right. A company we bought x.25 network boards from for our computers was just outside Montreal.

Just over the line from VT where I recall the French Onion Soup was 'the best'. Mt Sutton I believe. Its worth a trip out of the way.

Cool, I am homesick now.......:crying:

1965!!!!!! Did we have paved roads then????? :confused24: That must have been an adventure........and I am not refering to the GF:whistling:

Also, so as to not be accused of highjacking thread, :stirthepot: Old Quebec City is worth a visit and is actually easier to visit on foot. :322:

As you can see from our blog, we experienced many of the areas that you mention Ron, and it was a fabulous trip. This was my 4th or 5th bike trip east including the US northeast, and the second with my wife Anne. We stayed overnight near where Banc-du-Peche-de-Paspebiac is located but didn't stop there. Like that preserved fishing village, the national historic site at Grande Greve at Gaspe is also a preserved fishing village settled by people who also sailed over from the Guernsey/Jersey Islands and the original settlers around 1800 there included my ancestors, which is why we went there. I will definitely send you my email address and look forward to your stories.

In my research, I've come across a notice that motorcycles are not permitted in the old city part of Quebec City. True?

I've never had any issues running around old QC on the 87' recent as late summer 2011. Can't find any substantial regulations online banning motorcycles specifically.

A heads up if you decide to bike old QC., curbside parking is at premium during the day. Usually no problems sliding into a parking spot before 8-9AM.

We've always had a blast visiting old & new QC. Looking forward to returning next summer on route to east coast.

• 9 years later...

I stayed in old town Quebec City in 2019 and didn't see any signs about a motorcycle ban.  I parked my bike at a hotel garage next to city hall so if there was a ban My chances of getting caught would have been high.