IGNORED

Motorcycle Trailer

Al Bates

Motorcycle Trailer! Check this out.

Saw this at Harbor Freight, not a bad deal and with the 20% coupon found in most magazines. (I know there in the gun magazine)

The 20% would be off the $379.99 bring the total to around $304.00+tax:sign isnt that spec

If you look at the Piggybacker site they no longer offer the 8" wheel version of their trailer anymore. I guess they had enough of the knockoff business or maybe its the same trailer? They do state on the XL model 12" wheels - There is no speed restriction on our trailer.

Keith

Info from thier EBay Listing for the Standard Piggybacker 190477932207

This listing is for our 2010 Piggy Backer. We have decided to discontinue this model. We will continue to offer full support for these trailers until 12/31/2015

Edited by KeithR
Added Info

But it's Max speed is 55mph according to their web site. That eliminates it for bike trips. I'm sure there is a 'Fudge Factor' but I wouldn't chance it.

You get what you pay for.

Craig,

Not trying to be smart here, but I have assembled quite a few of these trailers. Dave Zipcode down here in Houston had several of us Houstonites come help with his. He put almost 10K on his this year and I know has had it over 75 mph consistently. Like Gary mentioned, put good grease in the hubs and make sure they are properly installed and you wont have any problems with them.

Uhaul trailers also say not to go over 45 mph, but do you ever see people heeding that warning :2cents:

But it's Max speed is 55mph according to their web site. That eliminates it for bike trips. I'm sure there is a 'Fudge Factor' but I wouldn't chance it.

You get what you pay for.

I bought a Harbor Freight trailer about 10 years ago for hauling mulch and such. It also said not to exceed 55 mph blah blah blah.

I've had this thing way overloaded several times. I've had it on the interstate many times way over 55 mph. I've never repacked the bearings (I paid $200 for the thing, I'm going to use it until it breaks).

I haul a huge load of mulch with it a couple of times a year and then pull it around the house with the tractor. I've fixed I don't know how many flats on it, but that's all.

It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. I'll bet I could get my $200 back out of it today.

"You get what you pay for" applies in some instances, but I've been burned many times.

See my post on Gerbing heated gloves. I paid more for them than I did for this trailer, and they were defective from day 1.

I wonder if with a little bit of McGuiver'ing you could put 12" wheels on it...

No McGuver'ing just go to Tractor Supply and get two 12 inch tires, and wheels for $59.95 ea and put them on. I have done that to three and now have a lot of spar tires for my Piggy,,,,,:happy34:

As for the 55 MPH Warning Who reads instructions,,,,,:think:

Yuck. I prefer mine. I have 5 spoke aluminum wheels for it and I am going to paint it to match the bike. Looks alot better than a Harbor Frieght tag along.

Yeah, agreed, yours looks really nice. However, you could buy 10 of the HF trailers for what yours costs.

RR

Yep.... Toss out those big bucks :mo money:and let it sit for 51 weeks out of the year..... But you will look good for that one week..... :sign woo hoo: :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Yes, but at least it will look GOOD behind the bike. I just got in September and have used it twice. Plan on using it weekly to get groceries every Saturday morning plus when ever we take off for a weekend trip so it won't be sitting 51 weeks out of the year. I just don't understand the mentality of putting alot of time and money into a bike making it look nice only to pull a billybob looking thing behind it. I would think you would want both funtionality and looks. Something that compliments the bike, not take away from from it. But that maybe just me. Too each their own.

I don't even understand why there would be an argument here. What is important to one person may not be at all important to the next. I love my Bushtec trailer. It is color matched to my bike and I think it looks great and pulls great. They may cost more than some are willing to spend and that's understandable also. I also see the other side of the issue. A lot of people only use the trailer 2 or 3 times a year and don't wish to spend big money on a trailer. That's fine too. To each his own. While you may some people may think it's crazy to spend big money on a trailer, those same people very likely spend money on other things that I would think is just as crazy. The fact is, it's up to each individual and there is no right and wrong answer. Most of us work hard and long for our money and should be feel free to spend it or not spend it as we see fit and without ridicule either way.

I don't even understand why there would be an argument here. What is important to one person may not be at all important to the next. I love my Bushtec trailer. It is color matched to my bike and I think it looks great and pulls great. They may cost more than some are willing to spend and that's understandable also. I also see the other side of the issue. A lot of people only use the trailer 2 or 3 times a year and don't wish to spend big money on a trailer. That's fine too. To each his own. While you may some people may think it's crazy to spend big money on a trailer, those same people very likely spend money on other things that I would think is just as crazy. The fact is, it's up to each individual and there is no right and wrong answer. Most of us work hard and long for our money and should be feel free to spend it or not spend it as we see fit and without ridicule either way.

Agreed!!! Lucky everybody doesn't see all things the same way and want everything just like the guy who's got it all right,,,,,,, well I mean,, then all the guys would want to be married to my wife,,,, can you imagine???

I have the same trailer and took to to Don's M/D last year it towed great and on the way home I even pushed it into the triple digits all the way across Ohio and most of Michigan

the hubs never got warm even they felt cooler than the air temp which surprised me even

here is a pic to show just how straight and level it runs even though it weighs very little

dray:big-grin-emoticon:

This quote is from my thread 06-29-2010.

Quote:

Got my Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer today at their store on E. 86th St. in Indy. Reg. price $399.99, on sale $329.99, 20% off coupon = $263.99 + $18.48 sales tax, total out-the-door $282.47. Had a busy schedule today, so have only done a partial assembly. Looks like some of the comments about cheap latches, etc. are pretty accurate, but I think it will probably work O.K. for me. I'll post again later after it's all together and I get a chance to use it.

We have since taken it on two trips, the longest was about 600 miles. I did repack the wheel bearings as suggested by several members here. A lot of interstate miles (read 75 to 80 MPH) and it tows fine with no mechanical problems. I know I topped 80 one time when I hit 3rd, then 4th when passing a line of cagers on a two lane.

I changed the lights to LEDs, changed the lock to a better quality one, and carpeted the inside. I had a problem with the latches wanting to come off when not latched, so I drilled a small hole in each of the latch mounting brackets and secured them with small zip-ties. I will admit that this is not the best looking trailer available, but it certainly fit my fixed (retired) income much better than those others. And it does all that I want it to do. Seems to be aerodynamic and I hardly know it is back there.

AND I DON'T THINK IT LOOKS "BILLYBOB" whatever that means! Must be millwright terminology. :stirthepot:

Edited by Mel
More More comment

I myself didn't know about the Harbor freight, until after I bought my Rover by Matrix.

But I took my time, looking for the best value, for what I wanted to spend, and also what could carry all my wifes luggage. LOL....

Now my next one will be home made, as I plan to tow it to Cody WY next year

I myself didn't know about the Harbor freight, until after I bought my Rover by Matrix.

But I took my time, looking for the best value, for what I wanted to spend, and also what could carry all my wifes luggage. LOL....

Now my next one will be home made, as I plan to tow it to Cody WY next year

That's gonna be interesting. Sounds like there's gonna be a bunch of trailers coming to Cody. Maybe we should have some sort of a contest??? :)

What is the material the box is made of on a harbor freight trailer?

And can that material hold paint?

If I got one I'd like to paint it to match the bike...but it would be a rattle can paint job

What you might try is wet the surface down with white vinegar. The mild acid will etch the surface and give the paint something to hold on to. Rinse well before painting.... :)