IGNORED

Finally Started Working On Goldie!!

bongobobny

After all this time I'm finally getting around to reassembling the '84 starting with the wiring harness. Work is painfully slow seeing as I'm cleaning every connector and installing dielectric grease on every pin. I'm also adding bling to the harness even though it won't really show. Here's as far as I got tonight. I'll update every day or so that I work on it...

Hey Bob,

I am really glad to hear that you have returned to your "Roots". I thought for sure you would be parting old "Goldie" out, now that youhave moved on to a 2nd Gen. That was always such a good looking bike that both Jean and I are glad you took another run at it.

Ya' Done Good, Bob! Keep us posted. :thumbsup2:

Earl and Jean

Ya got it wrong bro,,, notice on the second picture, starting from the right, the third one underneath?? it should be routed more to the left and over top of the other ones. Then coming from the right, it's almost the same issue except backwards,,,,, I thought you would want to know!!!

So when are you going to test it out, and let the memories flood the brain???

Ya got it wrong bro,,, notice on the second picture, starting from the right, the third one underneath?? it should be routed more to the left and over top of the other ones. Then coming from the right, it's almost the same issue except backwards,,,,, I thought you would want to know!!!

So when are you going to test it out, and let the memories flood the brain???

Actually you take end A drawit under B over and under C with a figure eight multiple half twist partially dragged under D returning to interlace with the multiple half twist and..........wait no thats wrong start over---Take A and *&%#:bang head:

Old Goat, no, the dash is for the '85 that I am doing a complete frame up restoration on. Snagletooth, no the headlight setup is also going on the '85. Goldie was upgraded to a MK2 headlight and I'm considering a HID setup for it. Marcarl, did you forget that in a picture everything is reversed so left is right and in is out?????

Old Goat, no, the dash is for the '85 that I am doing a complete frame up restoration on. Snagletooth, no the headlight setup is also going on the '85. Goldie was upgraded to a MK2 headlight and I'm considering a HID setup for it. Marcarl, did you forget that in a picture everything is reversed so left is right and in is out?????

I'll get Aussie Annie to look at this then,,, she's got everything backwards already so it would be much easier for her.

Holy snappin' duck doo doo Batman...they're pickin' on the aussie again :doh:

Did you ever stop to think that you's just might be "UP" the wrong way:bang head:

Now let's see here,,,, I don't think I'm all that holy, I usually don't snap,,, at least not yet, ducks have flat feet which I don't have, doo doo is something from down under, which means that,, I,,, being on the opposite side of the earth, would make me UP,,, in the right position.

Guess I'm kind of safe from this rant,,, for a minute I thought you was referring to little ole me.

OK I finally finished the front wiring, and now on to the side. Hopefully the headlight will fit in OK with the extra room the loom takes up! Unfortunately when I spliced up the old harness I intregrated accessory lines into th harness so I have to rip the old one apart again to free it up. In the mean time I ran out of 1/4 inch chrome wire loom so I started rebuilding 2 shock link arms with new bushings, and am going to drill and tap for zerks (grease) fittings. I'm doing 2 of them because I am also rebuilding a '85 project bike I picked up for parts a few years ago and changed my mind about parting it out. It has less than 50K on it but looked like it was left out in a cow pasture for several years before I got my hands on it. I've already rebuilt a set of MK2 front forks and a complete MK2 brake system. I just need to buy SS lines for it.

I am also planning on resoldering the pins on the dash even though I never had any problems with it. It's apart so may as well do it, and do the dash assembly that I bought from Old Goat for the '85.

I hope to fire Goldie up before the end of the year bewfore I put in a brand new OEM swing arm I bought cheap on Fleabay several years ago, along with the rebuilt Shock lever arm thingie...

Dsci0604.jpg

I did upgrade to the MK2 headlight on the last rebuild.QUOTE]

This is one of the best things I did on mine and was surprised how much I had to change to get everything to work. I also went with a PIAA bulb that helped. I also have some cheap fog lights that help and now, especially after cataract surgery, I enjoy riding at night.

RandyA

OK here's what I just did for more clearance. The only area of tight clearance is on top of the shield where the pinch bolts for the upper triple tree swing. The bottom can come back quite far, so I cut to the front and down so that the bottom will swing back further than the front.

Randy, I have a Silverstar in there now but I think I will try out one of the PIAA bulbs out! My cateract surgery is coming up in a month or two...

Well, I finally fired it up yesterday. The fuel pump went click click, and a shot of eather and it fired and ran for about 10 seconds. Wouldn't start again but tried to. Pulled one of the plugs and they are all black and in need of rewplacement, so I bought a new set last night. I'm a little concerned that the fuel pump isn't clicking any more, which could mean it gave up the ghost, or all 4 needle valves are stuck shut, or the screen on the gas tank is clogged. The fuel filter is new.

I plan on replacing all the vacuum lines so it will be a few days before I try to start it again. I just don't trust 27 year old rubber and before I go to sell it I want it to be in new and reliable condition. I may end up pulling the gas tank and "creaming" it. I have a spare tank so I may do that tank first so I can pull the one and immediately put in the new one. Then I can treat the tank I take out to use on the '85.

Still didn't resolder the dash yet but will after I go back to work Monday. I can "borrow" a bottle of flux from work to resolder or try to sweet talk one of the solderers at work to do them for me as my vision isn't what it used to be. I'm glad I gave up Electronics as a career and switched to hydraulics as oit was getting to be a problem even 15 years ago.

Sorry, no pictures today but I will have more the next time...

I'm really getting jealous Bob. If I ever get done with Insurance Companies so I can build a building I got plans!! I have a 83 with new frame and a upgraded tranny for it. Beautiful set of black plastic, V-Max rear about all the chrome bling they made. Few more ideas.....