IGNORED

Do you have a i-pad

I am thinking about buy the wife an i-pad for Christmas. has anyone out there bought one if so do you like it. Is it a good buy or should a guy just get a e-reader. The wifes wants something to read books but it looks like a i-pod does a lot more. Want to do what to do.

We have the 32 gb wifi only version. Everyone in my family loves it! I use it for books when I'm away from the house. When I'm home it's nice because I can check email while I move around the house (the wife is not screaming for me to get off the computer). My kids loves the games we found for them. Much easier to carry around than a laptop. You can put movies on for when you have those errands where you know you will be waiting. I even put a bunch of my reference manuals for work on it so I always have them available. The wife and I both have iPhones so we don't miss the lack of 3G coverage. The one issue we have is with web surfing. Apple still has not integrated flash into their web software so there are a lot of websites that don't display fully (most car and motorcycle manufacturer websites use flash). Everything else is great.

did you get the 16,32 or 64 not sure if I should get the big one. can see watch u-tube on it

Got the 64 but I guess it would depend on how much she plans on storing stuff..My wife has very little stored on hers but I guess she has it if She needs it.Can watch you tube on it easy,very fast. One down side and I THINK this is with all Apple stuff forget loading anything with Adobe Acrobat IE PDF files As far as I know it is not compatable;

I've got the 8g wifi only version. I really like it but it depends on what she's going to do with it. If she is only going to be reading books, I think the ereader would be a much better choice for you. The reason I say this is that the iPad is more like a mini laptop...the screen is backlit, so eyes tend to get a little more tired and the battery runs down much faster. If you are using it all day, the battery will last about 8-12 hours...depending on brightness, etc. Most ebooks will last you at least several WEEKS. This makes a big difference when traveling. The advantage of the ipad is that it can also double for you computer, so when you are traveling, it's great to check the email or look at upcoming weather or check google maps.

Also, I might suggest you not get too tied to looking at ONLY the ipad. There have been a few new tablets come out lately that are MUCH cheaper than the ipad. One is the Android based Archos 5. I haven't used it but it is an Android system and I really like my Android phone. Much more open than Apple stuff, so you can put more files and formats on it. Here's one on Amazon right now for $250 for a 500gb. That's a 1/4 of the apple for 10x the storage!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Archos-500-Internet-Tablet-Android/dp/B002NEGTOC/ref=br_lf_m_1000621601_1_1_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1280756042&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000621601&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=168YNJJ1V7BTADERAPMN]Amazon.com: Archos 5 500 GB Internet Tablet with Android: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nD4oIRbqL.@@AMEPARAM@@41nD4oIRbqL[/ame]

I can't personally recommend it since I haven't tried it, but if I were looking again, I would certainly do some research about it!

Sorry, Tom, but you are completely wrong about the PDF file compatibility. You can view online PDFs, click on PDF attachments in emails, load them on the iPad in the free iBooks app, etc. etc.

(Sent from my iPad at a Dunkin Donuts)

I stand corrected. I will try again on the PDF, I guess it's the flash player? I should ask my wife before I write about it. I have enough trouble using my IPhone.

I am thinking about buy the wife an i-pad for Christmas. has anyone out there bought one if so do you like it. Is it a good buy or should a guy just get a e-reader. The wifes wants something to read books but it looks like a i-pod does a lot more. Want to do what to do.

I have exactly the same "dilemma" ... however, I just can't justify the price of an iPad for the purpose of reading books. Granted, an iPad does so much more but just like our cell phones, most of it's features won't get used so, after reading the info and reviews of the Kindle, I figgure that's the one I'll be getting her for Christmas.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-3G-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002FQJT3Q/ref=dp_ob_title_def]Amazon.com: Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, 6" Display - with New E Ink (Pearl) Technology: Kindle Store@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5180Pl0tiXL.@@AMEPARAM@@5180Pl0tiXL[/ame]

EDIT: Found this Sony eReader and it sounds pretty good too.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=1000623&storeId=20153&langId=200&catalogId=100803&gclid=CMTDh6qMzqUCFRhzgwodxnX_jw

Edited by SilvrT

Guys - I know more tech than motorcycles. I've been studying the iPad and Apple rumors. for a long time. It looks like Apple is about 2 months away from announcing the next version of the iPad. I want an iPad, no I NEED and iPad. I could use it for my job. However, I wanted certain other features which according to the Apple rumor sites the iPad 2 just might have.

If you want the best Apple product news check out http://www.macrumors.com/ and http://news.worldofapple.com/ and http://www.tuaw.com/

I bought my bride the new Kindle for her birthday and she loves it! If she's looking for primarily an e-reader save $$$ and go Kindle.

My wife bought herself a Kindle, the $139 one you see mastheaded on Amazon. It just works. The eInk is amazing... doesn't use power so the battery life is astonishing. She now sends me recipes, I convert them to .mobi format and email them to the Kindle. I've also sent Audible audiobooks to the Kindle and she listens to them like it was an iPod. And oh yes, I've copied my RSTD manual PDFs over to it, so no more taking the fat binder on trips.

Negatives: it isn't for surfing the web (but it is an eBook reader???). Also, it doesn't have backlighting (which kills the battery), and behaves like a paper book. So, for Christmas I am buying her a leather cover with built-in LED light.

Overall, I am quite impressed. It does very well what she wanted -- to read books.

I myself am waiting for a v2.2 Android "aPad". There are v2.1 aPads out there for ~$150, but I can wait for them to come out with the latest version. I'm in no hurry, and it will be soon.

Guest tx2sturgis

Love it. Yall are discovering Apple. Now if you like the iphone and ipads and ipods, take my word for it, you will love the imacs and macbooks. Premium computing for the home user.

posted via iphone in clovis nm.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Hey, trouble maker is back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Typing one handed but back!

Wife got her and my son the Pandigital ereader. after rebates $75 each My son reads all the time hea\ really likes it. Can chek web sited no problem also. It has wireless. When we are out I use my sprint evo hotspot for internet and book downloading, So far well worth the money

will I think the thing to do is get the wife a Kindle yes will use it to read book and it looks easy for here to use. I think it has more free books then the others and the cost of the books looks good also. That being said not sure I don't need to buy me a i-pad to carry on the bike.

will I think the thing to do is get the wife a Kindle yes will use it to read book and it looks easy for here to use. I think it has more free books then the others and the cost of the books looks good also. That being said not sure I don't need to buy me a i-pad to carry on the bike.

one more thing before you buy the kindle. check the one out at Barnes and Noble. It has a color screen and does a little more.