IGNORED

Do you have a i-pad

Guest tx2sturgis

Don has installed the forumrunner plugin, so what that means is those of us using iPads to read this website now have an option to tapatalk.

Go to the apple app store, search for 'forumrunner' and install either the free version, or the $1.99 paid version.

The free version let's you log in and read all the threads but to actually reply or post messages you need to buy the paid version.

Once it's installed and running, click on 'forum browser' and then enter 'venture rider' or just click on categories, motorcycles, cruisers.

After you click on Venturerider.org, be sure to click on the arrow at the top right to save it as a favorite. Then you can tap on 'login' and enter your info and enjoy some faster acces to the site, especially important if your on a 3G network and watching that data cap. It doesn't have to load ads and graphics, so you get much faster page loading and less data use. Of course, on free wi-fi this doesnt matter.

Enjoy! And thanks Don!

Edited by tx2sturgis

I really like my Barnes & Noble Nook. I have the b&w with wi-fi. (have wifi everywhere I am and didn't need 3G)

For $149.00 it works very well - the e-ink display is a little fragile so it can stand a drop if in a case but a "Flex" or twist stress is a big no-no.

If getting Nook also plan for case and the extended protection for about $40 and its covered for everything for 2 years. Nook does have a web browser and I have been able to check this forum on it but is a little "strange" to use.

At any rate for all the above mentioned and most anything else like phones check this site for cases:

http://www.javoedge.com/reflexeshop/productCatalog/home.do

Also check these sites for useful stuff:

http://calibre-ebook.com/ software to convert formats and read on computer

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page thousands of free books (most classics)

Happy Reading !

I have an iPad, and have tried the ForumRunner app. It just doesn't do anything for me. My preference is to come to the main page of the site and see all of the newest posts. I rarely want to look only in specific categories and read each of those -- almost never. ForumRunner does not allow a view of all new posts, or all posts in the last two days or anything like what I want to do. It only displays the categories, and they you have to read into one category at a time.

iPad displays the site through its regular web browser quite well, with only a few shortcomings. The site is not really meant to be operated by using a finger to touch a link, so I sometimes touch the the name of a person who wrote a message rather than the message itself, because they are close together and small. I get around that by quickly zooming in to make everything bigger, then touch what I want. Other than that, I am quite satisfied with the site in the iPad's web browser, rather than using ForumRunner.

I will be deleting ForumRunner from my iPad now. I do appreciate the effort to accommodate everyone. Maybe there are others who read the site differently than I do, and ForumRunner may be good for them, but not for me.

I hope this doesn't seem like a grumpy post. I'm just trying to provide feedback about what Don is trying to do for us, and again, I do appreciate the effort.

Guest tx2sturgis
I have an iPad, and have tried the ForumRunner app. It just doesn't do anything for me. My preference is to come to the main page of the site and see all of the newest posts. I rarely want to look only in specific categories and read each of those -- almost never. ForumRunner does not allow a view of all new posts, or all posts in the last two days or anything like what I want to do. It only displays the categories, and they you have to read into one category at a time.

iPad displays the site through its regular web browser quite well, with only a few shortcomings. The site is not really meant to be operated by using a finger to touch a link, so I sometimes touch the the name of a person who wrote a message rather than the message itself, because they are close together and small. I get around that by quickly zooming in to make everything bigger, then touch what I want. Other than that, I am quite satisfied with the site in the iPad's web browser, rather than using ForumRunner.

I will be deleting ForumRunner from my iPad now. I do appreciate the effort to accommodate everyone. Maybe there are others who read the site differently than I do, and ForumRunner may be good for them, but not for me.

I hope this doesn't seem like a grumpy post. I'm just trying to provide feedback about what Don is trying to do for us, and again, I do appreciate the effort.

We all have preferences. I like the way it can show me updates to threads that I have posted in. I can subscribe, or unsubscribe, to any threads. Actually, most of the time at the home computer, I only scan thru the forums, reading articles of technical interest, and avoiding most of the ' personal' threads. But yes, it does not provide the entire forum 'experience'...its not supoosed to. Its designed to help a reader focus on certain threads, reply to them, and receive private messages quickly. You dont have to navigate thru endless listings, when all your wanting is access to a few threads here and there.

Guest tx2sturgis

And also, it has a current threads mode, which lets you look over everything that is new. Or, you can set the preferences on the reader to scan for 'new since last visit'. or up to 30 days back in time....mine is set for 3 in this example.

Edited by tx2sturgis
additional info

And also, it has a current threads mode, which lets you look over everything that is new. Or, you can set the preferences on the reader to scan for 'new since last visit'. or up to 30 days back in time....mine is set for 3 in this example.

I got to tell ya man,I don't know a Apple from an Orange and I'm not computer wiz,but I like the in-depth pro and cons that you give on the subject..:happy34: