IGNORED

Windows XP Pro - HELP!!!

why in the hell do they need an IT guy if the winders boxes dont break?

I'll answer that Q ... to configure and maintain the network infrastructure. ... To roll out new equipment .... to upgrade application software as well as operating systems ... to protect corporate privacy and security by constantly monitoring network traffic thru firewalls and switches ... to maintain and administer and automate in such a way as to achieve maximum productivity from the computing environment which includes, at least in my case, a fair amount of programming skills and the ability to see where improvements can be made .... to ensure all reporting data is accurate .... the list can go on but my point is, I'm not an IT guy SOLELY here to fix Windows boxes when they break ... if that were the case, I would not be here at all.

ooooooppppssssssssss..... I think I've turned into a duracel rabbit ... :sign20:

Guest tx2sturgis
I'll answer that Q ... to configure and maintain the network infrastructure. ... To roll out new equipment .... to upgrade application software as well as operating systems ... to protect corporate privacy and security by constantly monitoring network traffic thru firewalls and switches ... to maintain and administer and automate in such a way as to achieve maximum productivity from the computing environment which includes, at least in my case, a fair amount of programming skills and the ability to see where improvements can be made .... to ensure all reporting data is accurate .... the list can go on but my point is, I'm not an IT guy SOLELY here to fix Windows boxes when they break ... if that were the case, I would not be here at all.

ooooooppppssssssssss..... I think I've turned into a duracel rabbit ... :sign20:

I didnt mean it as a direct question of your particular skill-set...but I'm sure you KNOW some IT guys who complain about the particular weaknesses they deal with in their business. It sounds like that whatever your doing is some kind of private LAN or VPN...and as such, is not quite as vulnerable to the bad guys on the net...unlike home users, where bad things happen to home computers REGULARLY.

And um...do u need a brush for that pink fur?:buttkick:

i had a similar problem, solution: open up the case, pull the "memory sticks out, reinsert them.

be careful to put the sticks back into their original slots.

might solve your problem, for free.

just jt

:sign yeah that:

Staying out of Mac/Win and getting back to orginal question.:witch_brew:

I had similar problem and it was a bad memory stick. Remove all and reinstall 1 at a time and boot up. Found the bad one that way when it would not boot.:2cents:

Thanks for all the ideas!!!

As the HD goes, Spinrite seems to think it is fine, no bad sectors found. Booted with a Win98 install CD all data seems to be there (yeah the drive is formatted FAT32)

Motherboard and memory? Box works fine with another HD with Win 2K on it.

I think I'm gonna do as Monty suggested and add a new Master drive and install a fresh copy of XP on it and use my "original" drive as a slave. Now to look for all my software install CDs or downloaded install files......:starz:

Guest tx2sturgis

my next one will be a mac.

Dray, this is a vid I put together thats mainly an audio clip for you to hear, with some slides thrown in for the visual.

You wont regret buying a mac.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVVIGSaa9To]YouTube - Leo talks Mac[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis

Whether you like the Mac, hate it, or are indifferent, one thing is for sure. They are doing a good job of delivering consumer products that catch people's attention. According to this article, one-third of people planning on purchasing a new laptop in the coming months say they will buy a Mac.

Stevie Ballmer may be getting a bit nervous.....

Guest tx2sturgis
Whether you like the Mac, hate it, or are indifferent, one thing is for sure. They are doing a good job of delivering consumer products that catch people's attention. According to this article, one-third of people planning on purchasing a new laptop in the coming months say they will buy a Mac.

Stevie Ballmer may be getting a bit nervous.....

Microsoft was a major investor in Apple. Too bad they sold off nearly all of the shares!

:doh: