IGNORED

What's that sound??

We went to get a cup off coffee last night and on the way home I seemed to have picked up a new sound. Brenda describes it as a stuck leaf or something stuck somewhere that is flapping around and I concur that is seems like something is vibrating.

Engine temp and voltage are good, tach is solid and the speedo has an occasional flutter around 55-65 (but the cable has been replaced by the shop last year and I know what a squealing speedo cable sounds like.). Brake disks were cold to the touch when we arrived home (it was in the 30's). The sound is not continuous and will vary in intensity, starting abruptly and fading out or vice versa. It does not appear to be speed or RPM related!

I'm kinda stumped but am leaning towards checking the speedo cable or maybe an exhaust leak at the front header?? Any other ideas??

take it for another ride and pay close attention to the sound it may be from a dry gear in the speedo head it can get really loud and sometimes the will sound like a bad front wheel bearing.

Jeff

(but the cable has been replaced by the shop last year and I know what a squealing speedo cable sounds like.)

But, do you know what a dry bearing in a speedometer sounds like? Ditto on what Jeff said as that was my first thought also. You may be just before the squeal stage that can just about scare the crap out of you when it squeals.

RandyA

If you're referring to the cover on the downtubes from the rear cylinders, they're OK.

Though i don't rightly know what a bad front wheel bearing sounds like, i went ahead and put lithium grease into the speedo head, pulled the cable out of the jacket and squirted grease up in there and re-inserted the cable, then also put greease in the wheel connection prior to taking it for a ride (5mile or so). I can still hear it though it seemed less loud then last night.

Got a couple thousand left on the front tire, so I think maybe new wheel bearings in front when I replace the rubber. Unless something goes drastically wrong:doh::rotfl:

Thanks

We went to get a cup off coffee last night and on the way home I seemed to have picked up a new sound. Brenda describes it as a stuck leaf or something stuck somewhere that is flapping around and I concur that is seems like something is vibrating.

Engine temp and voltage are good, tach is solid and the speedo has an occasional flutter around 55-65 (but the cable has been replaced by the shop last year and I know what a squealing speedo cable sounds like.). Brake disks were cold to the touch when we arrived home (it was in the 30's). The sound is not continuous and will vary in intensity, starting abruptly and fading out or vice versa. It does not appear to be speed or RPM related!

I'm kinda stumped but am leaning towards checking the speedo cable or maybe an exhaust leak at the front header?? Any other ideas??

Are you sure someone didn't put a playing card in the spokes held on by a clothes pin?:whistling:

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

take it for another ride and pay close attention to the sound it may be from a dry gear in the speedo head it can get really loud and sometimes the will sound like a bad front wheel bearing.

Jeff

The first time that sound happened to me I was near Ashville in 30 degree weather dodging an ice storm in the middle of the night. The sound was so loud and to me sounded like some sort of warning buzzer located in the fairing some where. Not knowing what the buzzer was for and what it was trying to tell me and considering my location and circumstances I got real worried, real quick.

I whipped out the cell phone and called the only Venturerider expert whose phone number I had stored in my phone directory. I managed to reach GeorgeS in Seattle who was only slightly put out sounding since it was obvious I had awakened him from his beauty sleep. He patiently listened while I went into great detail describing the sound I was hearing and every factor of the circumstances I could think of. When I had finished my disertation he calmly said "disconnect the speedo cable, take two aspirin and call me in the morning" then hung up the phone.

That's one of the best things about this group. Timely expert advice when you despertly need it.